SOTD: Saturday April 29 - Friday 5 May 2023.

01/05/23
Count down to the vintage Gibbs run out
Pre - Droyt's Classic Glycerose Soap
Brush - Vintage Culmak Junior - Pure Bristle
Soap - Vintage GIBBS 1950's
Razor - Ever Ready HFT Natural Angle
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Tonyschin's Orange & Neroli Balm & Argan Oil
A/S - Vintage Ferd. Mülhens Vintage 4711 EDC
Wk 18 (3).JPG
Wk 18 (3b).gifWk 18 (3a).gif
That was a very enjoyable shave, the HFT is probably to mildest GEM Vintage "Lady" i own, YMMV of course.
The usual excellent, slick, lightly scented lather from the Culmak / Gibbs combo, mixed in the Bideford Pottery bowl by Sue.
I completed 3 passes which have left me super smooth and comfortable.
A nice post shave including a quick rub with the alum block - no indication,
An invigorating cold water splash then a lovely Balm rub and a nice splash of the Vintage 4711.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all

1 May

Martin de Candre Original
Simpson Duke 3
Above the Tie SE1 Calypso
Schick Proline
Bart’s Balm Ben Kilbreck

55E1B347-B8AC-43A4-A510-AF48505D43B0.jpeg
The other aluminium razor. The ATT SE1 is a fine razor and it is beautifully manufactured as well. It is also, probably, the closest shaving razor that I own. The Martin de Candre made a fantastic lather with the Duke 3 and the Schick blade was sharp and effective. The resulting shave was smooth after two passes.

Monday 1 May

IMG_0056.jpeg

Gillette “The New“ long comb, Red and Black re-plated gold finish by Back Roads Gold
Personna platinum chrome 3x
C&E soap, soft and creamy as ever was swept around the face effortlessly by the Omega 48 bristle, larger than I prefer in my brushes but it was a freebie and it’s bristles are really quite soft on the face so no problem.

Really can’t go wrong with these vintage Gillettes, works with any blade but get the ideal match and hard to beat for ease of use and efficiency. Gold star from me for the back room designer folk.
Rub in Mancave SP 20 Moisturiser and add a dash of Ralph’s Sport and now for coffee, have a great May Day fellas, especially if you’ve got a long Maypole to dance around.

01/05/23
Count down to the vintage Gibbs run out
Pre - Droyt's Classic Glycerose Soap
Brush - Vintage Culmak Junior - Pure Bristle
Soap - Vintage GIBBS 1950's
Razor - Ever Ready HFT Natural Angle
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Tonyschin's Orange & Neroli Balm & Argan Oil
A/S - Vintage Ferd. Mülhens Vintage 4711 EDC
View attachment 104937
View attachment 104939View attachment 104938
That was a very enjoyable shave, the HFT is probably to mildest GEM Vintage "Lady" i own, YMMV of course.
The usual excellent, slick, lightly scented lather from the Culmak / Gibbs combo, mixed in the Bideford Pottery bowl by Sue.
I completed 3 passes which have left me super smooth and comfortable.
A nice post shave including a quick rub with the alum block - no indication,
An invigorating cold water splash then a lovely Balm rub and a nice splash of the Vintage 4711.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all
A mild but lovely razor Tony, I wish I had kept mine, I've seen a couple but all in the US!
Have yourself a great bank holiday T.

Paul.

Yesterday being a day of dismantling the kitchen, replacing the floor with LVP and taking delivery of a new fridge, then putting all the appliances back in, I didn't shave for the first day in I can't remember. So today I was quite keen to be rid of the "chick magnet coating" (apparently, research shows that girls like guys with stubble, bummer!)

So, time to have another go with the OneBlade Core and 2nd go for the FHS-10. Amusing how my phone autocarrotted that to FFS!

E&S Azur provided the lather, aided and abetted by me old chum Phantom of the Aerolite.

The blade still gave me a smooth enough shave and excellent results despite the extra growth. Again, fuss free.

I just can't put my finger on it. I think it's the fact that the technique this razor demands feels so foreign (don't stretch, apply pressure, ignore angle). It works, but somehow I worry it'll give me bad habits.

The Azur splash sample is very nice. I don't know how to describe it but there's a hint of coconut and bubble gum in there somewhere that i strangely like!
20230501_121837.jpg

Last edited:
1/5/23

Pre - Palmolive Sea Minerals
Brush - Yaqi Sagrada Tuxedo
Soap - Palmolive Green Cream
Razor 1 - Yaqi Katana
Blade 1 - Lord Classic Super Stainless
Razor 2 - Gillette Rocket
Blade 2 - Bic Chrome Platinum
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Makler Celebration

I've been pretty indifferent towards shaving over the last month, and I really couldn't be bothered to shave, so ended up with about a week's worth of growth. There's no way I could take it down with one of milder razors, so I dug the razor I am the most terrified of, my Yaqi Katana. I've used this razor a few times before and it has always ended in a blood bath. Today's shave was a little different, riding the top cap and with a week's worth of growth the razor/blade was smooth and efficient, no sign of any weepers. The Yaqi Katana is far too much for daily shaving, but works well for a few days of growth. There's no way I could use it for a second pass, so I used another razor/blade, and aside from a few hairs I'd missed on the first pass there wasn't much need for the second pass.
I finished the shave with a few splashes of Makler celebration. It's quite low in alcohol content, so not a huge amount of burn but it's a delightful old school citrus scent. One of the better aftreshaves I bought from MakeUp.UK.

Have a good start to the week gents.

IMG_20230501_175754.jpg

Monday 1st May

AJFCJaXwGsVwvR871OZRD7nDm1MDcD-J3Ho29xOk7auiOW8oBtuubvdYR2r5Lookj9iXvs1ihnZS2R9pJG3M5gR1JhEYwos7C1bHHgqFI3fJKvCZ9bLp7Z2ANcHLBJKKK89s-AgYsXKkcENbb5JzXkobIeljPA=w800

Savonniere du Moulin Shaving Soap & Omega 11137 Pure Bristle
Ever-Ready (1930s) Streamline & GEM by Personna (1)
Pashana Original Aftershave

Kicking off Milky May ...

Milky what? Milky May, silly! When we shave with soaps that contain milk, be it donkey, sheep, goat, bison, wildebeest, whatever ... so long as it's milk, it's in!

Super shave with the Steamline and a fresh GEM blade. Bracing with the 1930s model ... but perfectly cushioned by the lovely donkey milk based Savonniere du Moulin. Gosh! That is so close to being my favourite soap! I couln't push a Rizla paper between it and my (on paper) favourite Mitchell's Wool Fat - it's that close. Splash of Pash for afters and that's almost my perfect shave.

IMG_1580.jpeg
SOTD: 01/05/2023

Razor: Rockwell 6s
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless , 1st use
Brush: Knothead Brush Works 26mm AP Shave Co. Synbad
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: Bart’s Balms Lochnagar Oil
Soap: A&E Vida Puck
Aftershave: A&E Vida Aftershave
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm

I’ve much neglected my DE’s of late and for no good reason, especially after this shaves proves some are just as good or better than some of my SE’s. I love this special edition soap it just smells amazing and will be a real shame when it eventually bites the dust. I believe it’s a forum special from the states but I do hope it gets a reissue at some point.
Enjoy your evening guys.

Monday AM 2023-05-01
Island castaway Philip Ashton's 'Memorial' was published on this date in 1725
View attachment 104966

Rooney Polo 2 Ivory Finest (28/60)
Soap Commander Love (True Rose) shaving soap
LASSC BBS-1
Personna 74 Tungsten (13)
Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna aftershave (vintage)
View attachment 104967

Having your photos back certainly beats the red crosses of yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom