SOTD : Saturday 7th August to Friday 13th August 2021

Tuesday 10th August

AM-JKLV6kLQtx2znap1EZ9TS3s-6O0A8FZYzvUX9fJbLBhmX2k1F21Nd7Fvtuh5FxxNgPICrdNVqM50szkzaqkGNzFrvCb-WZhXITvlWdsYi452ifv3UNGp8bsHs-vfIaN6uLqOK_VTDm7zExSED_Im-5V5oxw=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Eco Warrior Shaving Bar
Semogue SOC Taj w/24mm Boar
Ever Ready 1914 Mahoganite
GEM by Personna Stainless PTFE (2)
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Gosh! That Eco Warrior soap is really quite good! My second use, but I've really clicked with it and this morning transferred it to an empty Bulldog Shaving Bowl, grated in. It's a thirsty soap so suits a nicely soaked boar and straight onto a washed face for a good face lather. I'm really enjoying using it. Yes, for a second time it really put me in mind of La Savonniere du Moulin, which is indeed high praise!

Chuffing loved that shave with the Mahoganite Set 1914.

... and finished off another bottle of Pinaud Lilac Vegetal. I love the stuff. Finishing it rather took me by surprise, so I don't have another in the wings. I'll hopefully be able to snag another big bottle. Meanwhile, I do have a bottle of vintage but really like to keep that for occasional use.

My SOTD carrying the theme 'To Mrs Satanfriendly'

View attachment 75153

For all those great times - Stainless Colonial General
For those not so great moments - Kai Captain
For all your support - AP Shaving brass 30mm Cashmere
For my lack of at times - Signature Soaps Londinium
Simply, for being - Laboratory Perfumes Samphire

21st wedding anniversary shave on our second marriage............. to each other. Yes, married, divorced and several years later, married again. At the second time around a Welsh friend leant over and tugged my sleeve. 'Chris, if this isn't illegal, then it bloody well should be'

My sleeve occasionally still tugs in sympathy

I couldn't find a term for a 21 years of wedded bliss. 20 yes, 25 yes, nothing for 21 so I have come up with 'PTFE coated copper cable anniversary'

And of course a shave for the occasion. Where else to start than one of my favourite soaps for getting the job done, Signature Londinium. I have to say the brush barely fits inside the tub but hey, that is what happens when you get a big greedy brush. But what a big greedy brush it is. And it is very shiny. The General doesn't really need any introduction as it gets used and reported enough by me, and as perfect today as when I first bought it. Which is more than Mrs Satanfriendly says about me. Then again she did buy me in 'imperfect' condition so nothing has changed.

But end of the day a wonderful fitting shave for a wonderful and very fitting day. I have 365 days to dream up a term for our 22nd next year and until then I will always enjoy her company.

And to end it all on it is over to those Beaver girls and their take it on it all

Big Congratulations to you both Chris.
Happy Anniversary!
Cheers Phil

View attachment 75153

21st wedding anniversary shave on our second marriage............. to each other. Yes, married, divorced and several years later, married again. At the second time around a Welsh friend leant over and tugged my sleeve. 'Chris, if this isn't illegal, then it bloody well should be'

I couldn't find a term for a 21 years of wedded bliss. 20 yes, 25 yes, nothing for 21 so I have come up with 'PTFE coated copper cable anniversary'

And of course a shave for the occasion. Where else to start than one of my favourite soaps for getting the job done, Signature Londinium. I have to say the brush barely fits inside the tub but hey, that is what happens when you get a big greedy brush. But what a big greedy brush it is. And it is very shiny. The General doesn't really need any introduction as it gets used and reported enough by me, and as perfect today as when I first bought it. Which is more than Mrs Satanfriendly says about me. Then again she did buy me in 'imperfect' condition so nothing has changed.

But end of the day a wonderful fitting shave for a wonderful and very fitting day. I have 365 days to dream up a term for our 22nd next year and until then I will always enjoy her company.

And to end it all on it is over to those Beaver girls and their take it on it all

Congratulations to you both ... again? Quite a tale, that :ROFLMAO: Carry on ...

BC428A3B-CA63-48F1-8A8E-DF13CD6F9BE1.jpeg

Prep: Shower with PAA cube unscented.

Pre: PAA cube unscented.

Soap: Stirling Shadow Orchid

Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia

Razor: Edwin Jagger Kelvin.

Blade: Dorco Titan.

Went for a cold water shave today and the Stirling and new blade didn’t fail me in the slightest. Needed a very light shave and this combo worked excellently. The blade seemed nice and smooth, but I’ll see how it goes after the first few uses.

SOTD, Tuesday 10 Auguat 2021

Pre-shave:
Hot shower, Wright's cold tar soap, followed by cold water splash.
Soap: The Gentleman's Groom Room - May Chang.
Brush: Blackland (Signature).
Razor: Muhle Rocca Jet.
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless Green (Day 1).
Post: Cold water splash, D. R. Harris Pink Aftershave Splash.

SOTD-10-08-2021 (3).jpg

This was possibly the best shave I have had with the Rocca - I don't remember pairing that up with the Gillette 7 O'Clock Green before - wow - a brilliant experience.

After one pass (WTG) it felt as if 80% of my face was BBS - I was surprised - amazed - my first reaction was how the hell did that happen?

A second pass (XTG) to finish off, with no issues to report. A drenching in cold water and a splash of Harris Pink, my skin felt amazing and I was good to go for the day.

I have been shaving a lot recently with the R41 Stainless Steel, which for me demands the lightest of touches and attention to the angle - I think my experience and technique from the R41 has carried across. This morning, I could hear the blade almost sing - that sweet spot when the cutting angle is spot on.

All the best,

Chris

SOTD, Tuesday 10 Auguat 2021

Pre-shave:
Hot shower, Wright's cold tar soap, followed by cold water splash.
Soap: The Gentleman's Groom Room - May Chang.
Brush: Blackland (Signature).
Razor: Muhle Rocca Jet.
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless Green (Day 1).
Post: Cold water splash, D. R. Harris Pink Aftershave Splash.

View attachment 75201

This was possibly the best shave I have had with the Rocca - I don't remember pairing that up with the Gillette 7 O'Clock Green before - wow - a brilliant experience.

After one pass (WTG) it felt as if 80% of my face was BBS - I was surprised - amazed - my first reaction was how the hell did that happen?

A second pass (XTG) to finish off, with no issues to report. A drenching in cold water and a splash of Harris Pink, my skin felt amazing and I was good to go for the day.

I have been shaving a lot recently with the R41 Stainless Steel, which for me demands the lightest of touches and attention to the angle - I think my experience and technique from the R41 has carried across. This morning, I could hear the blade almost sing - that sweet spot when the cutting angle is spot on.

All the best,

Chris
How do you like the scent of the May Chang? I know it's a Wickham 1912 soap base with a special scent for TGGR.

Friedrich Herder No. 76 Cross Keys 15/16 Full Hollow
Grooming Dept Unscented Preshave
Barrister & Mann Spice Shave Soap
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Barrister & Mann Spice Splash
Pre de Provence 63 Aftershave Balm
Pre de Provence 63 EdT

Stephens Woodworking Cocobolo 24 mm Silvertip Badger Brush
7AC9A864-5AFE-460D-A74F-9ABBAF50B30C.jpeg64C1FCF8-9633-4C4B-A83F-608BCD94A7C8.jpeg3DF95152-080B-4DEB-8E37-BDEEF69272EA.jpeg

Tuesday 10th August

Soap • Ach Brito Mogno
Brush • Yaqi Mokka Express
Razor • Pearl Flexi V3 @2.5
Blade • Gillette Wilkinson Sword (2)
Post • Pinaud Clubman Aftershave

This little Yaqi brush is really very good
Face lathering, it's ever so soft tips build lather in no time, and it holds adequate lather
Pearl seem to have got it right with their Flexi razor. Very smooth with easy on the fly adjustment.

In the absence of an SOTD photo, this is the best I could conjour

Sotd-10-08-21.jpg

This afternoon -

razor - ATT Calypso - R plate
blade - Tiger - roooaaaarrrrr! - that's another noise tigers make. (3)
brush - Simpson Special - best badger
soap - De Vergulde Hand - stick
post - witch hazel
a/s - Old spice
balm - De Vergulde Hand
scent - none.

All good - there seems to be an unofficial undercurrent of shaving stick appreciation this month - the De Vergulde Hand is one I enjoy using - it's Dutch - given the name - no fucking shit Van der Sherlock? Under the radar a bit - it's not that easy to get in the UK - I have no idea why. To my mind - comparable with La Toja or Lea - and at source costs about the same. It just does the job with a minimum of hassle. It takes a bucket of water - a polder? - to face lather properly - I think due to the amount of kaolin clay in the ingredients - but, this is where the exceptional slickness comes from - some find it a bit drying, I always use a decent balm afterwards. The matching DVH is more like a full-on moisturiser - but if you have ever been in the Netherlands in winter - you can understand why it is made this way - the cold, dry wind - literally and figuratively Baltic - might cut you in half. It's certainly going to desiccate your face in minutes. Great light though - when it is not almost totally dark at midday - skies that bear down on you - it is perhaps not unconnected that Dutch and Flemish artists invented oil paints and the use in their painting. All good - I enjoyed that - and this shave is brought to you with a word - and that word is - mindfulness.

Enjoy yours all - I.

@Blademonkey @Ferry-shave

Last edited:

View attachment 75153

Congratulations Chris!

View attachment 75153

Happy 21st wedding anniversary Chris

4IP9bA7.jpg

Mining Camp Shave

Prep:
Barrister Reserve Cool soap, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Shavemac 3-band Silvertip Badger
Cream: Musgo Real Spiced Citrus
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Vintage NOS Schick Plus Platinum (3)
Post: Proraso Green Aftershave Lotion, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Scent: D.R. Harris Arlington Cologne

Camp shaves can be a bit hit or miss - this one was a beauty.

Back
Top Bottom