SOTD : Saturday 3rd February - Friday 9th February 2018.

ceCJ9EG.jpg

Kanayama 50000 ~ H.Diamond 1000 13/16 ~ Wolf Whiskers/Muhle STF ~ LPL Italian Barbershop

Thursday 8th February
Cadman Custom Synthetic
AoS Kingsman Cream
Bourbon/Amber LE
SS General
Schick Proline - P #1
Alum Wash
Selin Lemon Cologne
Astral Moisturiser
G.Bellini - Essence Dark Blue EDP
nyopHMC.jpg

A suprise gift from my son from an Art of Shaving store while he was on holiday in Orlando.
The scent is intoxicating and long lasting. In fact I squeezed the remaining lather out of the brush for an extra pass just to milk the shave out.
What a grand shave was had.

MANNERS MAKETH MAN

8/2/18

Soap - Lea Stick Tallow
Brush - Omega S10065
Razor #1 - Yingjili Tech
Razor #2 - Lord L6
Blade #1 - Bic Chrome Platinum (1)
Blade #2 - Polsilver SI (8)
AS - Brut Oceans
Post - Nivea Balm

I put a brand new BCP in a YJ Tech and within half a stroke it felt rough and like I was shaving my face with a rusty tin can. Tried the blade in the Lord L6 and the blade was even worse. Finished the shave with the Lord L6 and Polsilver and after the BCP the Polsilver felt so smooth it was like I was wiping my face with a piece of the softest silk.

The Brut Oceans is a nice scent, a mild marine one - couples well with the Lea.

llW4nhia_o.jpeg

Maseto Memphis Finest 2 Band
Leresche 901
Treet Falcon (3)
Klar Kabinett Original (sample)
Thayers Rose, Nivea Balm & Saponificio Varesino Cosmo aftershave (sample)

What a lather with the Klar, it is pretty much identical to the Dusy version, though the scent is weaker on this, probably due to age and it being a sample. Very impressed by it and am happy to have tried it finally. A superb shave the Lesresche and ever impressive Falcon blade, a bulk purchase in the future.

The Cosmo is very interesting, like all SV aftershaves it has good face feel, on application I absolutely hated it very pungent and too coffee and something else I can't put my finger on. A few hours later it's muted and more pleasant to me but I don't think this is one I would be buying. So far the only scent of three I have tried that I wouldn't purchase. Maybe the soap is more pleasant but I wouldn't fancy taking a risk except on a sample.

Talking of samples, received a Pannacrema Nuavia Nera sample today, absolutely the dogs danglies in terms of scent. Looking forward to that one tomorrow. I am pretty sure I will be treating myself to a pot for a birthday present! Overpriced and paying for the pot or not!!

@Blackmass

Thur 8th Feb
Omega 11126 boar
Blues SoapSchick Type O “Clone”
Schick Proline ( 7 )
Jaguar Prestige A/S lotion

Continued with Injectors,using the very agile Type O clone. Surprised at how quickly one can attain a more than passable Shave with it,even using a single blade rather than the Twin blade it was designed for.I look forward to using a Twin blade.

IMG_0533.jpg

SOTD 080218
SOTD 080218 5.jpg

Pre: Shower & Issey Myake face wash
Blade: Astra SP #1
Razor: Muhle Rocca
Brush: Black Anvil Custom 26mm 2band Silvertip
Soap: Barrister & Mann Eventide
EDC: Mancera Cedrat Brise

First time with the Rocca and I am very impressed. Relatively aggressive yet smooth. I think this razor is particular to what blade choice you use and I want to try several more before confirming my blade of choice. Despite that the Astra is my go to blade and did not disappoint. True BBS after 3 passes and a touch up under the chin. Slight irritation to the neck but nothing that the MDC could not contend with.

Brush has bloomed lovely and worked perfectly with the magical Eventide. Smooth, silky slick lather.

Finished with the MDC balm and a touch of Mancera.

Enjoy your shaves! :)

Last edited:
Pre: Warm water face wash
Brush: Omega 11137 Boar
Soap: Grooming Dept. Ambrosia
Razor: Blackland Sabre L2
Blade: Gem Blue Star

IMG_20180208_150829.jpg
After yesterday's uncomfortable struggle to get a half decent finish I decided to play it safe.
I put a new carbon blade in the Sabre, reached for possibly my favourite brush and strove to put yesterday behind me.
There was one unknown factor to me, a Grooming Dept. soap, thanks @ajc347, and what a performer the soap is.
Great cushion, slickness, residual slickness and post shave.
Downside, the scent but a good splash of Bay Rum soon rectified that.
I've come to the conclusion, in the world of shaving there's only one thing better than a great shave and that's a great shave after a poor one.

Barber's today,...pre-haircut shave
BBA Shave Oil
Wickham's Club Cola
Simpson's Chubby 2
Roscotanna scuttle
BBA Bloody Balm/ Face Moisturiser
AdP Colonia Club

Newly-arrived Club Cola,...boy, .. does this soap pop and fizz!..lovely:)
Getting used to the Wickham's now, loads of lovely warm lather in the scuttle,...enough for tomorrow.

Espresso,...then off to the barber's:)

llW4nhia_o.jpeg

Maseto Memphis Finest 2 Band
Leresche 901
Treet Falcon (3)
Klar Kabinett Original (sample)
Thayers Rose, Nivea Balm & Saponificio Varesino Cosmo aftershave (sample)

What a lather with the Klar, it is pretty much identical to the Dusy version, though the scent is weaker on this, probably due to age and it being a sample. Very impressed by it and am happy to have tried it finally. A superb shave the Lesresche and ever impressive Falcon blade, a bulk purchase in the future.

The Cosmo is very interesting, like all SV aftershaves it has good face feel, on application I absolutely hated it very pungent and too coffee and something else I can't put my finger on. A few hours later it's muted and more pleasant to me but I don't think this is one I would be buying. So far the only scent of three I have tried that I wouldn't purchase. Maybe the soap is more pleasant but I wouldn't fancy taking a risk except on a sample.

Talking of samples, received a Pannacrema Nuavia Nera sample today, absolutely the dogs danglies in terms of scent. Looking forward to that one tomorrow. I am pretty sure I will be treating myself to a pot for a birthday present! Overpriced and paying for the pot or not!!

@Blackmass

Thank you for the tag and thanks for your impressions of the scent. I definitely won't be buying any. So you've saved me a few quid. Cheers.:D

Thursday's SOTD :)

SWMBO was out on the lash, with her mates last night - and when she returned (at o-early o'clock) I was rudely awaken from my slumber: beauty sleep well interrupted.

Got up at my usual time, like a zombie, did not move then realised I did not have much time to get my read end into gear :)

Pre-shave - Warm shower, followed Musgo Real Classic Glycerin Oil Soap.
Razor - Colonial The General SS.
Blade - Kai - Captain (Pink) Mild (Day 12).
Soap - Kiehl's Close-Shavers Squadron 'Smooth Glider'.
Post shave - Cold Water Splash, followed by Myrsol 'Blue' aftershave splash.

Time was not on my side, decided in the shower to try the Kiehl's Smooth Glider, as this requires no brush, wet face, rub on, and shave. I have used this before with a DE, for a final pass and it works a treat. I was a little worried, as I thought that with a heavy(ish) razor like the General SS and a SE blade, I would need some lather for a protective layer.

A very respectable DFS shave, with 2 passes - WTG, and XTG on the face with WTG and ATG on the neck. No issues. I was not planning to use the Myrsol 'Blue' to finish, it was the nearest splash to hand.

When I got to work, I decided to call the Mrs, just to make sure that she was okay and to show my interest in her night out. Suffice to say she was not that pleased to be woken up :)

The shave was an interesting experience, I must admit, I enjoy shaving with a DE and shaving gel - however, I much prefer a good protective lather with a SE blade. I will try the General Black and the Kiehl's just to see if I feel more comfortable with the lighter razor, without a protective lather.

All the best,

Chris

I know what you mean - I had the pleasure of seeing - years ago - a retrospective of Alma-Tadema in the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam. I'd never heard of him previously. The Heliogabalus painting is quite something in real life. Have you seen it? It seems to shimmer and move as you look at it. Few people painted marble or water so well. I don't think that technically he is Pre-Raphaelite - but very much of the same vision. Victorian - the Academy - I think? Like the Pre-Raphaelites - there was no way this sort of idealisation of classical motifs or allusions to medieval - or indeed Gothic - chivalry were going to survive the meat grinder of the First World War. So badly out of step with what was about to happen - that they remain - as you correctly say - deeply unfashionable. Like you - I'm very fond of them though. Waterhouse was a bit of an outlier to the movement but had that essential ingredient - the poetry reference - I didn't know that the painting alludes to Tennyson - 'And the musk of the roses blown.' On a more prosaic level - I'm very fond of a bit of redhead miff - in a flimsy dress engaging in a bit of mimsy. Ha ha. Yours - I.

I'm sorry I completely missed your reply amongst the 20+ notifications... I usually just hover over the icon to clear them. I've not had the pleasure of seeing it "in the flesh" unfortunately. I'm also shamefully unfamiliar with any of Alma-Tadema's other works which I've now searched and like what I'm seeing, he was a talented man indeed.

I'm not particularly clued up when it comes to art (I just know what I like!) but have read Waterhouse is considered something of a tribute act to the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood as you say... I dont think his works suffer for it, though on a personal level it could be rather damaging to be labelled a tribute to something already considered beneath contempt :D

Back
Top Bottom