SOTD : Saturday 28th April - Friday 4th May 2018.

Sotd - Thursday 3/5/18 -

Sotd3.SR.jpg

Colonel T.E Lawrence by Augustus John - 1919. From a letter to the artist from the sitter - 'A friend of mine went to the Alpine Club and said my larger portrait was a conscious effort by you to show how long contact with camels had affected my face! But - I explained that it wasn't my face that had been in contact with the camels.'

Razor - Schick O Type clone
blade - Schick twin - Japanese market (your guess is as good as mine for usage)
brush - Simpsons Chubby One best
soap - Vreto Cognac and Cigars
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro Tabbaco
balm - none.

Result - great.

A quick three-day growth tidy up - ideal territory for the O type clone - a truly great razor for me - doubly so with the twin blades. If you have a spare £275 there is a brand-new genuine one for sale in its original packaging on a well known auction site at the moment. It's been available for quite some time - no s**t. Decided to go straight to my other Vreto soap to see if it was beginner's luck with my first use. Absolutely not - it is really good for me. The scent profile was more in line with my expectations - it is definitely milder than the Mandarin. I'm not really sure what it smells of - very pleasant don't get me wrong and in fairness to the soap maker - I have no idea what cognac smells like - it might be a dead ringer for all I know. I thought more old leather and unlit Havana cigars - all good for me anyway. You can't fault the soap base - once it's been given a surprisingly large amount of moisture - it springs to life. Excellent lather stability and the slickness is top end for me. Again I dropped the balm to get a better judge of its post shave face feel - just as good as it was the last time. A splash of the excellent Extro Tabbaco - a slightly odd product - it sort of sits in between an aftershave and an edt. I can safely put it on my freshly shaved face but it has a scent longevity more approaching an edt. It goes on quite oily but dries in quickly. Nice - I'll certainly use this software combination in the future. Job done - have great shaves one and all - yours - I.

Last edited:
Sotd - Thursday 3/5/18 -

View attachment 35294

Colonel T.E Lawrence by Augustus John - 1919. From a letter to the artist from the sitter - 'A friend of mine went to the Alpine Club and said my larger portrait was a conscious effort by you to show how long contact with camels had affected my face! But - I explained that is wasn't my face that had been in contact with the camels.'

Razor - Schick O Type clone
blade - Schick twin - Japanese market (your guess is as good as mine for usage)
brush - Simpsons Chubby One best
soap - Vreto Cognac and Cigars
post - witch hazel
a/s - Extro Tabbaco
balm - none.

Result - great.

A quick three-day growth tidy up - ideal territory for the O type clone - a truly great razor for me - doubly so with the twin blades. If you have a spare £275 there is a brand-new genuine one for sale in its original packaging on a well known auction site at the moment. It's been available for quite some time - no s**t. Decided to go straight to my other Vreto soap to see if it was beginner's luck with my first use. Absolutely not - it is really good for me. The scent profile was more in line with my expectations - it is definitely milder than the Mandarin. I'm not really sure what it smells of - very pleasant don't get me wrong and in fairness to the soap maker - I have no idea what cognac smells like - it might be a dead ringer for all I know. I thought more old leather and unlit Havana cigars - all good for me anyway. You can't fault the soap base - once it's been given a surprisingly large amount of moisture - it springs to life. Excellent lather stability and the slickness is top end for me. Again I dropped the balm to get a better judge of its post shave face feel - just as good as it was the last time. A splash of the excellent Extro Tabbaco - a slightly odd product - it sort of sits in between an aftershave and an edt. I can safely put it on my freshly shaved face but it has a scent longevity more approaching an edt. It goes on quite oily but dries in quickly. Nice - I'll certainly use this software combination in the future. Job done - have great shaves one and all - yours - I.

A brilliant write up and an even better read

Classic shave [emoji145].
Skull brush Manu Montalvo badger silvertip, soap Le Père Lucien cyprès boisé, ATT razor handle Atlas head H1, blade Gillette chromiun (3), after shave old spice whitewater. One more special day in life, enjoy it however it happens.
828367856460df7e0419679afb68c5b8.jpg

Sent from the Wolf's Den

A brilliant write up and an even better read

Thank you - I meant to get back to you re your earlier post. I agree with the others - I don't think they are either too long - or not in the spirit of a sotd post - I enjoy reading them. There is room for all approaches I hope. Mind you - I couldn't not agree with you? Given the fact that I try to keep mine just on the right side of a short novella - I'd be being a bit of a hypocrite. Ha ha. Keep up the good work.

I believe it smells like a poor man's whiskey but I could be wrong.

I don't know K. whether to be proud or ashamed that it's one of the few forms of alcohol I haven't abused. It's a type of brandy I think? Which I know that I definitely don't like. MInd you - if it was the only thing left in the drinks cabinet? Yours - I.

Indeed you are very wrong. Smells and tastes like heaven
I do like the occasional distilled wine if I can't find a distilled beer whilst groping in the gutter.
In all earnest though, I was born with straight hair and don't perm it and born into the islands of whiskey and unfortunately if I want to distill it I need a permit.
I don't know K. whether to be proud or ashamed that it's one of the few forms of alcohol I haven't abused. It's a type of brandy I think? Which I know that I definitely don't like. MInd you - if it was the only thing left in the drinks cabinet? Yours - I.
I, no worries when it comes to alcohol these islands have nailed it imo.
Food... thanks be to whoever for globalisation. K.

Last edited:
Vitos Red Super Extra
YaqI Chianti 24mm Synthetic
Rockwell 6C plate 3
Old Stock Wilkinson Sword (England)
Lavender witch hazel (home mix)
Floid Mentolado Vigoroso

An enjoyable shave with good products.
Vitos soap always lathers easily for me, and with this synthetic brush was a pleasure to face lather.
The Wilkinson blade is going strong three shaves in. I'll use it at least once more to see how it holds up.
Finished with 'Mentally Vigorous' . I have a 400ml bottle of it on it's way, and I don't think it will take very long to make a dent in it. The scent and face feel are top notch for me.
The 'Mentally Vigorous' is top notch....one of my favourite A/S splashes.;)

Morning shave

Olive Oil Soap
La Toja Cream
Semogue 1305
Little Wren Pottery
Rockwell 6c (plate 4)
Astra SP (1)
Thayers Witch Hazel (unscented)
OSP Neroli Aftershave Tonic
Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza EDC

I'm nicely set up for a busy day at work. And we are promised sunshine for the whole of the long weekend. It's all good. Have a great day chaps.

Friday 4th May

Olive Oil Soap
Somerset's (Droid) Oil
Mysterious Space Synthetic Brush
MWWF Soap
Blackland (Light) Sabre on L1
Alum Block and Rinse
Obsession (Jedi) Night EDT

Nearly used a (Princess) Lea shave stick this morning...but finally opted for the Mitchells Wookie Wool Fat.
3 Passes for a stellar out of this world shave:)

And May the forth be with you!

Back
Top Bottom