SOTD Saturday 27 March to Friday 2nd April

Soap: Stirling Scots Pine Sheep(sample)
Brush: EJ synthetic
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (4,5,6)
Blade: Astra (2)
Post Shave: Speick, Lea Balm

Not the best shave of my life...
I'm not quite sure how I feel about the Stirling soap. This is the second sample I've tried and each time I've had difficulty lathering them. Well, they lather quickly, but I've found them to stay very airy no matter what I do. Spent a long time trying to work up the lather today, trying adding more product into the brush, more water....and nope...
The lather feels slick but doesn't feel very protective..
I know a lot of folks rave about Stirling and I'd really love to like it, I think the scents are great but I'm not quite sure where I'm going wrong with them...

Gillette Slim shaved great as always, did seem to work well bumping it up a number each time....
I just wish the lather underneath was a little nicer!

27/03/21
Straight Shave Saturday
Pre: Cold water face wash
Brush: Semogue SOC TAJ Boar
Soap: Proraso Wood & Spice
Razor: 6/8th Goedecke & Co, Mandarin, "unrivalled extra hollow ground".
Edge by: @Tony'schin
Post shave: Alum, Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Floïd Balm
Aftershave: Floïd SE Mentolado Vigaroso

View attachment 67122

The cream lathered really well and i do like the scent, it's lather is no different to any other cream so i do not know why its classed as a single blade soap? i do like it though.

@Tony'schin

AKAIK, Proraso's 'Single Blade' range was launched a few years ago and they market them as their premium ones, the terms 'Single Blade' have little bearing on it's intentions of use but more as a means to separate them.

The 'Single Blade' moniker can be seen on the splashes, pre shaves, balms as well in Wood & Spice, Azur Lime, and Cypress & Vetiver.

I've not used the 'Single Blade' shaving creams, but they are supposed to be pretty good. I have used their new Super Formula shaving creams, and the performance of those are superb.

I can't say whether the premium Single Blade range performs better than their 'standard range' (ie Blue, White, Green and Red) though.

Soap: Stirling Scots Pine Sheep(sample)
Brush: EJ synthetic
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (4,5,6)
Blade: Astra (2)
Post Shave: Speick, Lea Balm

Not the best shave of my life...
I'm not quite sure how I feel about the Stirling soap. This is the second sample I've tried and each time I've had difficulty lathering them. Well, they lather quickly, but I've found them to stay very airy no matter what I do. Spent a long time trying to work up the lather today, trying adding more product into the brush, more water....and nope...
The lather feels slick but doesn't feel very protective..
I know a lot of folks rave about Stirling and I'd really love to like it, I think the scents are great but I'm not quite sure where I'm going wrong with them...

Gillette Slim shaved great as always, did seem to work well bumping it up a number each time....
I just wish the lather underneath was a little nicer!
It's hard to get a true representation of a soap's performance from a sample - I've always assumed that this is due to the difficulty in loading enough soap on to the brush. Saying that, if your sample is one of the large 1oz Stirling samples, this may not be much of a problem. Next time, load it like you hate it then just keep adding water as required*

*fabricated advice from my arm chair. I accept no responsibility if this fails to deliver results but will accept all glory and praise should it work.

@Tony'schin

AKAIK, Proraso's 'Single Blade' range was launched a few years ago and they market them as their premium ones, the terms 'Single Blade' have little bearing on it's intentions of use but more as a means to separate them.

The 'Single Blade' moniker can be seen on the splashes, pre shaves, balms as well in Wood & Spice, Azur Lime, and Cypress & Vetiver.

I've not used the 'Single Blade' shaving creams, but they are supposed to be pretty good. I have used their new Super Formula shaving creams, and the performance of those are superb.

I can't say whether the premium Single Blade range performs better than their 'standard range' (ie Blue, White, Green and Red) though.
Cheers Shubs,
I really liked the feeling on the chin and scent of the cream, it was easy to lather and did the job admirably, I am a fan of the Sandalwood from them, excellent performance for very little money, It will get used.
T

Hi! Shave #16:
9PyxcEE.jpg

Pre: Homemade olive oil soap.
Lather: Fine Lavender pour homme.
Brush: Simpsons The Duke 3 SE black.
Razor: Rocnel SE-G GEM.
Blade: GEM (#4).
Take care and have a nice day!

It's hard to get a true representation of a soap's performance from a sample - I've always assumed that this is due to the difficulty in loading enough soap on to the brush. Saying that, if your sample is one of the large 1oz Stirling samples, this may not be much of a problem. Next time, load it like you hate it then just keep adding water as required*

*fabricated advice from my arm chair. I accept no responsibility if this fails to deliver results but will accept all glory and praise should it work.
Ahh cheers Boycie, you may well have a point ;-) The soap did come from a 1oz puck sample but me being an absolute balloon, took a little bit off and squished it into the bottom of a bowl. I'll try loading more and from the puck next time!

Ahh cheers Boycie, you may well have a point ;-) The soap did come from a 1oz puck sample but me being an absolute balloon, took a little bit off and squished it into the bottom of a bowl. I'll try loading more and from the puck next time!

What is the consistency of Stirling like? Is it a slightly firmer croap? I presume it's quite similar in consistency to Signature Soaps

My method for lathering a soap like that might seem complicated, but it's a piece of p*ss.

I take out a chunk of soap with a spatula and press it to the outside of a clear lid with a bit of water then from there load it to my brush, then face lather or bowl lather. If my corresponding lather is lacking or is too much, it's really easy to put more or less soap with the spatula the next time around.

EDIT - I try to ensure my brush is as dry as possible when loading it. I add the water later as I am building the lather. This method works for me without fail.

Last edited:
What is the consistency of Stirling like? Is it a slightly firmer croap? I presume it's quite similar in consistency to Signature Soaps

My method for lathering a soap like that might seem complicated, but it's a piece of p*ss.

I take out a chunk of soap with a spatula and press it to the outside of a clear lid with a bit of water then from there load it to my brush, then face lather or bowl lather. If my corresponding lather is lacking or is too much, it's really easy to put more or less soap with the spatula the next time around.

EDIT - I try to ensure my brush is as dry as possible when loading it. I add the water later as I am building the lather. This method works for me without fail.
Aw that's great, cheers mate :)
The consistency is similar to the SIgnature soaps, maybe ever so slightly firmer. I found they performed quite differently though, with the Signature soaps I just lather how I think soap should be lathered and boom, beautiful perfect lather-it feels almost too easy haha
The Stirling seems more particular or that it needs something different than what I'm used to, so I appreciate the advice!

Aw that's great, cheers mate :)
The consistency is similar to the SIgnature soaps, maybe ever so slightly firmer. I found they performed quite differently though, with the Signature soaps I just lather how I think soap should be lathered and boom, beautiful perfect lather-it feels almost too easy haha
The Stirling seems more particular or that it needs something different than what I'm used to, so I appreciate the advice!
Sounds like you may be adding too much water too quickly, I usually find it better to start with a drier lather and add water gradually until you reach the right consistency

Sounds like you may be adding too much water too quickly, I usually find it better to start with a drier lather and add water gradually until you reach the right consistency
Yeah, I think you might be right!
I think I lather like that a lot, to be honest, and I tend to prefer soaps that can handle it haha
But who knows.... maybe Stirling Soaps will make a pro latherer out of me yet. I'll be trying to keep the lather drier next time and hopefully get nicer results, cheers Ollie :)

Yeah, I think you might be right!
I think I lather like that a lot, to be honest, and I tend to prefer soaps that can handle it haha
But who knows.... maybe Stirling Soaps will make a pro latherer out of me yet. I'll be trying to keep the lather drier next time and hopefully get nicer results, cheers Ollie :)
Not necessarily shaving with a drier lather but I just find if you add the same amount of water more gradually it’s easier to work in and build the lather , if you add too quickly you then have to spend more time working it in if that makes sense. I agree though some soaps can take plenty water and it works in to the lather a dream. Hope it helps a bit

Back
Top Bottom