SOTD Saturday 23rd Sept-Friday 29th Sept 2017

27/9/17

Brush - Yaqi
Soap - Proraso Green
Razor - DE89
Blade - Supermax Platinum Plus (3)
Post - Witch Hazel

My seldom used tub of Proraso Green was used today, and as ever it performed really well but like many others it's something I have never really taken towards. The blade was a bit rough for the first two shaves but today was incredibly smooth for the third shave and I am somewhat perplexed by the change in performance.

vLfSORcV_o.jpg

Shavemac Americana D01 Silvertip
Fatip Testina Gentile
Rapira Super Stainless (2)
Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica (sample)
Boots Tea Tree WH, Myrsol Emulsion & Floid Mentolado Vigoroso

What a treat! My first use of Saponificio Varesina shaving soap, did it live up to the hype? Far exceeded it, one of the most creamy, slickest and best lathers I have produced. The scent was wonderful too, reminded me a bit of Mountain Man. A full set and wooden tub will be on the Crimbo list this year. All in all a perfect shave. Very happy chap today.

Greetings

Wednesday 27th September 2017
Prep: Shower
Razor: PAL Injector
Blade: Schick Platinum NOS (Swedish)
Brush: Muhle XL Synthetic
Soap: Wilkinson Sword Stick
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDP: Guerlain Mitsouko

I have been without internet access for 6 days (again) and I just couldn't face trying to post from my I pad with my dongle.
I have been having a bit of an Injector-fest!

Regards
Dick.

26.9.17.JPG
27.9.17.JPG
25.9.17.JPG
24.9.17.JPG
23.9.17.JPG
22.9.17.JPG

27/9/17

Brush - Yaqi
Soap - Proraso Green
Razor - DE89
Blade - Supermax Platinum Plus (3)
Post - Witch Hazel

My seldom used tub of Proraso Green was used today, and as ever it performed really well but like many others it's something I have never really taken towards. The blade was a bit rough for the first two shaves but today was incredibly smooth for the third shave and I am somewhat perplexed by the change in performance.
Hi, i now load more proraso on my brush and work it directly on my face.This results in a really rich creamy lather and razor just glides over my face.

The end of the month is upon us and I still was putting off using a Schick injector so today I bucked up and put a new blade in an E model and gave it a face day.

The brush was one of my favorites, a half century + year old Peerless (New Hampshire) Pure Badger. The cream was some Speick in an old Heather n fern shaving mug. That old brush once again performed like the champ it is and whipped up more lather than I'd need in seconds.

The shave though, like all my experiences with Schick injectors, was just "OK". The shave was "OK", no cuts, scrapes, scratches or abrasion but certainly not great. After two passes there was still stubble left in the usual places.

After the shave I used my Alum block followed by Speick Balm and there were no major stings just a "cold" feeling in a few spots but enough to convince me to use something else for touchup. I had put a new brass spiral handle from West Coast Shave on the Colonial General so used that for final touchup followed with some Clubman aftershave.

The new brass handle with a barber pole like spiral from bottom to top totally changed the brass General and may even put it right beside the RR Hawks as best of the AC format razors. It's still heavy but the new handle helps balance it so there is only a slight head bias and no slip even with fingers still coated with the remnants of shave balm.

So Speick cream and balm were great.
That Peerless still amazes me every time I use it.
The Colonial General with a brass spiral handle is great.
Clubman is still one of my favorite aftershaves.
And the Schick E type is interesting to look at.

Last edited:
Hi Kevy,
Hope you are well. :)

I used this razor for the first time this evening without snapping the blade in half.
I watched your video that was thankfully supplied by @Blackmass , (Thank you for that Rob) and have come to the conclusion, that this razor is so badly designed.
I love the concept and idea. (perhaps:rolleyes:)

It is futuristic and has many good qualities as far as the "Handle" design is concerned but relying on the fact that a "snapped" blade will help the edge to "stay still" in the razor is very much hit or miss.

I would suggest it should be scrapped with immediate effect.
Obviously everyone will have there own opinion but I want to give my honest one.

Thank you for your time and effort and for sharing with your video. @Kevy !
Wayne :)
This razor has certainly got people talking, that's for sure! It's not for everyone and I only had it on loan to try it out. The first time I used it I had a bad edge on a Polsilver and it gave me a terrible shave.

This time was better and I enjoyed it a little bit more. It's not easy to use coming from using de's but once you use it as it should be, I would think it will give a good shave. I quite liked how different it looked, but like I said, it's not to everyone's taste but that's what makes this hobby so interesting.
Kevy

SOTD: 270917

SOTD 270917 5.jpg

Blade: Schick Proline #4
Razor: Cobra Classic (on loan) @Digimonkey
Brush: Maseto 26mm Silvertip Barber Handle
Soap: Faena MLEV (Greece)
EDT: L'Occitaine Cade

An awesome 3 pass BBS evening shave. No cuts, no weepers, simply divine.
The soap was a sample and what a kick it has. A lovely scent of liquorice and pine, great slickness and post shave feel.

Brush worked its wonders face lathering. A super soft paintbrush, finishing off with a splash of Thayers Lavender and a generous spray of Cade.

A much better day than yesterday. ;)

Enjoy your shaves! :)

Back
Top Bottom