SOTD: Saturday 22th -Friday 28st June 2019.

Use it carefully, there may be rivers of blood...
I tried to buy one "the ENOCH" yesterday, however, the website was acting up, the checkout kept changing the price and remove my discounted price, after initially being contacted by email with a "special" deal of £47 plus another 15% discount, after about an hour and a few heated emails i binned it. My RAD subsided and i now realise i dont need it. It looks super nice though.

I tried to buy one "the ENOCH" yesterday, however, the website was acting up, the checkout kept changing the price and remove my discounted price, after initially being contacted by email with a "special" deal of £47 plus another 15% discount, after about an hour and a few heated emails i binned it. My RAD subsided and i now realise i dont need it. It looks super nice though.
Got a link, Tony?

23/06/19

Razor: EJ 3one6 SS
Blade: GSB (2)
Brush: EJ Best Badger
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Pre: Proraso Red
ASB: Proraso Blue
Scent: PR Invictus

Another great shave from the 3one6 today. BBS but with a bit of a squeal from the Alum!

It's been a while since I last used the EJ badger brush. I forgot just how nice this little brush is. It worked very well with the great smelling TOBS sandalwood.

Enjoy your Sunday all!
f3d90111177f4c5648ffe43f3ab5ac6c.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

23/06/19
Pre shave Prep: 1912 Classic 24
Brush: Razorock 400
Soap: 1912 Classic 24
Razor: GEM MicroMatic OC
Blade: Personna Gem PTFE S/S (5)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, homemade Bay Rum #2
Balm: Barts Balm Bergamot and Vanilla balm & lotion
Aftershave: Copycat Oud Wood

GEM MMOC RR 24.jpg

Super Sunday morning Shave
No shave Saturday to give the GEM something to go at.
Today was my much anticipated maiden shave with the near perfect / Mint condition GEM MMOC (to me it is perfect in every way), courtesy of @Blademonkey who I really cannot thank enough for letting me be the next owner/user of such a thing of beauty. We are talking super model category here, not the new Botox injected, jelly chested so called models :alien:, we are talking natural beauties of an age before all that, your Ursula Andress Dr No beach walk beauty :love: :love:, Raquel Welsh 1960's style gorgeous :love: :love:, i digress, but you get the picture.
So with a fantastic Lather and a massive smile on my face, today i had one of my best experiences since getting back into "real" shaving.
This is my only true OC and what a razor it is.
3 Gorgeous passes without incident WTG/XTG & ATG, the final ATG pass really amplifying the toast scraping audio soundtrack. i had to be careful not to cut my lip as i could not stop breaking out into wide smiles. No Buffing required.
So, better than a DFS, a Beautiful BBS finish helped along by a great post shave routine, some minor indications from the block, they dissapeared as quickly as they came, a splash of Homemade Bay Rum #2, the Barts Balm and CC Oud Wood just topping everything off.
Now, i do not have a beach to lie on and wait for a beauty to emerge from the sea but today i would be happy to wait as i know Sean Connery would be left lying asleep on the sand;).
I will have to settle for a better beauty, as i am off to visit the Mothership.
Have a beautiful Sunday All.(y)

Last edited:
EJ DE89 with Raw RS-10 handle | Gillette Nacet (#2 and out)
DSCosmetic 26mm
Ralon Original shaving cream (Croatia)
Meißner Tremonia 'Salty Sea Sage' after shave

585uotm.jpg

Smooth and clean after three passes.

I know it's heresy, but I do have that thing of selectively mixing handles and heads. The original Raw RS-10 set seems too heavy for me, and I am still experimenting with various handles for the lovely mild RS-10 head. The RS-10 handle, on the other hand, despite being too hefty at 78.10gr. feels ok for temporary pairing with a head I am very familiar and can be pretty casual/quick with. The grip of the Raw handle is good.

Beautiful lather and performance from the humble Croatian shave cream, a slightly industrial scent but still ok. I will re-iterate for the MT aftershaves, they are of high quality and the specific (Salty Sea Sage) offers a strong menthol & eucalyptus breeze for the hot summer (we have a mini heat wave here today at 37 deg. C.)

Razor 'Radium' vintage French(1/4 hollow)
Brush Simpson's milk churn
Soap Adriana & Evans choco cubano
a.s Agua balsamica
Post Weleda

A fine shave this morning with this freshly honed barbers notch straight, finished on a 12k Naniwa stone.
There's a thread on the go at the moment regarding the new(ish) soaps from A&E and understandably not everyone is going to dig them. All I can say is that this one(choco cubano), is absolutely fantastic! The scent is incredible & performance is good too. The only slight disappointment, is that for me, it lacks a little bit of residual slickness. But hey, that's just me & YMMV :)
20190623_102655.jpg

23 June

P&B Borealis
Omega 11137
Feather Artist Club SS
Feather Proguard
Bart's Balm Amber and Moroccan Jasmine asb
Penhaligon Sartorial

692C0BE3-D534-455B-9756-12DA07C88531.jpeg
Another round with the Feather as I was blessed with both time and solitude this morning. Two slow passes and a superb finish from the still very sharp Proguard, with a couple of non-weeping weepers to prove it.

Sotd - Saturday the 22nd of June.

Razor - Ever Ready 'Streamline'
blade - ER Corrux (5)
brush - Simpsons Chubby 1 best
soap - MT 'Lavender de Luxe' paste
post - witch hazel
a/s - Quorum
balm - Barts 'Lavender'
scent - Caldey Island 'Lavender' edt.

Result - just lovely.

A nice relaxed and relaxing lavender shave. Must repeat - razors other than the Streamline are available. It is just so damn good. No picture today - as there appears to be no daylight in Glasgow - I suppose after its heroic effort yesterday the sun in knackered and fancied a day in bed. If you think I'm going to start arsing about with flashguns and triggers on a Saturday afternoon - you've got another thing coming. I've noticed an upturn in mentions of the Occam's razor around these parts recently - in part perhaps due to Classic Shaving discounting them heavily - as far as I'm concerned - this is the coolest name for a razor ever. No doubt - most of you will know the derivation of it - if not - feel free to read the following. Enjoy your shaves - yours - I.

‘Occam's razor' is so named from William of Ockham (b.1286? - d.1347) - Franciscan monk, theologian, scholastic philosopher, nominalist and father of modern epistemology. His name suggests that he was born in Ockham - then a small village in Surrey - his ‘razor' is a tool used when reasoning out a problem or testing a hypothesis - sometimes expressed as ‘the simplest solution is the best' - but - ironically - this is a gross oversimplification in itself - the classic definition is rendered as ‘entities must not be posited without necessity.' What this means in practise is that if you want to test competing hypotheses - that predict the same outcome - the one with the least amount of assumptions should be preferred - the ‘razor' shaves away the un-necessary. Nobody really knows why his name became attached to the principle - the phrase ‘novacula Occami' doesn't appear until a couple of centuries after his death. Exactly the same sort of methodology had been used by - running backwards in time - Duns Scotus, Maimonides, Ptolemy and Aristotle - to name but four - but there is no doubt that William used variations on the theme heavily in his work - it has stuck anyway. ‘Occam's razor' is still relevant - it is used in modern science - particularly physics - for predicting theoretical outcomes. William had a fairly eventful life - seemingly having a rare talent to annoy the authorities - he ended up on the wrong side of the two major theological controversies of his lifetime. He studied - and ended up teaching - at Oxford - where he got into trouble for the first time - in 1324 - or thereabouts - he published a commentary on Peter Lombard's ‘The Sentences,' - standard practise at the time - you were nobody in medieval philosophy if you didn't - which upset the local synod of bishops - who branded it ‘unorthodox' - I suspect strongly they were too stupid to follow his reasoning - there is nothing particularly challenging about it from a doctrinal point of view - and sent him to Avignon to answer to a Papal court. At this point the pontiff was based in France - not Rome - John XXII was not impressed with him. Unfortunately for William he wandered straight into one of the biggest fallouts in 14th century Christianity - as a Franciscan monk - he held to the idea of ‘Apostolic poverty' - the rule used by the monks held to the founding ideal - according to St Francis - that Jesus and his followers had no personal property - therefore monks shouldn't either. This pissed the Papacy off in no small way - who were very fond indeed of ‘earthly riches' and it set about the Franciscans. To their shame the order did eventually cave in on the issue. William decided it would be really helpful to - when in Avignon - write and publish a treatise ‘proving' that St Francis was right and the Papacy was wrong - an argument lavishly backed up by scriptural sources. This was the final straw for John XXII and William was obliged to do a runner in 1328 - the same year - he was formally excommunicated - interestingly though his philosophical works were never banned. He ended up in Bavaria under the protection of the Holy Roman Emperor Louis IV - himself locked in a battle with the Pope over who had the ultimate authority - temporal and spiritual - in his territories. For the first time William seems to have done something to help himself - he spend time turning out densely argued treatises on why his patron was indeed correct in telling the pope to bugger off. He died in 1347 - as the leader of a band of ‘dissident' Franciscans - which was good timing on his part as the whole of Europe was just about to be ravaged by the plague. I can't think of another razor named after a medieval philosopher - Gillette ‘Aquinas' anyone? ha ha.
Now that took some absorbing on a Sunday morning.
Thanks for sharing Iain. :)

Sunday 23 July

Soap - Pre De Provence
Brush - Yaqi Rainbow
Razor - Yaqi DOC
Blade - Treet 7 Days (6)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Akcay Tobacco

There was little need for a third pass, as the incredibly sharp T7D in the Yaqi DOC had cleared most but I had more than enough lather for another passes after the second so I went in the third and final pass. The Yaqi Rainbow is incredibly efficient for creating lather, seems to be most efficient of all my brushes but nonetheless it just seems a little charmless.

23/06/19
Pre shave Prep: 1912 Classic 24
Brush: Razorock 400
Soap: 1912 Classic 24
Razor: GEM MicroMatic OC
Blade: Personna Gem PTFE S/S (5)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, homemade Bay Rum #2
Balm: Barts Balm Bergamot and Vanilla balm & lotion
Aftershave: Copycat Oud Wood

View attachment 45021

Super Sunday morning Shave
No shave Saturday to give the GEM something to go at.
Today was my much anticipated maiden shave with the near perfect / Mint condition GEM MMOC (to me it is perfect in every way), courtesy of @Blademonkey who I really cannot thank enough for letting me be the next owner/user of such a thing of beauty. We are talking super model category here, not the new Botox injected, jelly chested so called models :alien:, we are talking natural beauties of an age before all that, your Ursula Andress Dr No beach walk beauty :love: :love:, Raquel Welsh 1960's style gorgeous :love: :love:, i digress, but you get the picture.
So with a fantastic Lather and a massive smile on my face, today i had one of my best experiences since getting back into "real" shaving.
This is my only true OC and what a razor it is.
3 Gorgeous passes without incident WTG/XTG & ATG, the final ATG pass really amplifying the toast scraping audio soundtrack. i had to be careful not to cut my lip as i could not stop breaking out into wide smiles. No Buffing required.
So, better than a DFS, a Beautiful BBS finish helped along by a great post shave routine, some minor indications from the block, they dissapeared as quickly as they came, a splash of Homemade Bay Rum #2, the Barts Balm and CC Oud Wood just topping everything off.
Now, i do not have a beach to lie on and wait for a beauty to emerge from the sea but today i would be happy to wait as i know Sean Connery would be left lying asleep on the sand;).
I will have to settle for a better beauty, as i am off to visit the Mothership.
Have a beautiful Sunday All.(y)

I'm pleased you enjoyed shaving with it Tony, I know I still love using my other one. P. :)

Back
Top Bottom