SOTD : Saturday 21st August to Friday 27th August 2021

And this evening arrived with a shave and the theme 'Go go go Somethingatransformercon'

20210823_203808.jpg

Go go go razor- R89/Razorock titanium
Go go blade - Polsilver Lodz
Go brush - Yaqi Dandelion
Soap - La Savonniere du Moulin
Sce - Hermes vert Orange

'This feels similar to an R89' or so I wrote about the feather ws, and so an outing for the R89 to see if it really is much the same.

A few nights back I noticed @pjgh used the Savonniere du Moulin and thought 'I've got some of that' and so Equus asinus asinus shaving soap it was to be. It seems a long time since I had a facial with a donkey. But by golly I had forgotten how damn good this stuff is. With the Dandelion an absolute stinch to throw up some great lather. Face prep done and dusted.

Sorry wrong type of donkey

And on to the 89. Yup it does indeed feel similar to the feather, but more as in mild yet effective. And to be honest not that much difference in relation to face feel and yet the two couldn't be further away from each other. One being a wonderful exercise in Japanese engineering, refined and slim, the other being an exercise in cast mass production. The odd thing I found with the 89 is I can use it to ridiculously steep angles without any bite from the blade. A masterpiece of design.

Three full passes later and time to get all touchy feely. Damn fine job Mr Muhle a damn fine job. The difference in the end results are so marginal compared to the wood that it would be nit picking to split between the two. That says a lot for the 89 which cost a fraction of the price of the Japanese wonder kid. The big thing common with both is the sense of faith that no matter what you do, a great shave can be had and with an almost impossibility to create havoc. The Feather wins hands down on on quality, finesse, an air of marvel and for being very James Bondish. The Muhle would make Mr Average believe he is James Bond. That does for me. I'll take being Mr Average any day. Mrs Satanfriendly believes I am below Mr Average so anything being a plus wins my heart.

Mr Muhle R89, a piece of genius.

I feel sorry for you all at this point as you know I am going to throw some Japanese girly music at you whether you want it or not. So from my new found 'All things Japanese girly pop you ever wanted to know' source have some of this

One day behind here so expect this Tuesday evening's shave some time around Christmas

Last edited:
D54DF9ED-25E5-4227-8298-6F5091E0331D.jpeg
Prep: Shower with Boots exfoliating face wash.

Pre: PAA unscented cube.

Soap: Mike's Natural Soaps - Bergamot, Orange, Ylang-Ylang Scent.

Brush: Yaqi Cavern Lake two band badger

Razor: Hone 15a

Blade: Polsilver super iridium.

Another great shave with the Hone with a new blade in it. I decided to start using some of my old samples up and so thought I’d try something a little different with the Mike’s orange, it lathered well but I wasn’t a fan of the scent when I tried it first and I’m not a fan of it now still. It’s a shame but it gave a good shave none the less.

Wed 25 SR SOTD
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Sea Citrus
Brush Yaqi 24mm Atlantis
Razor Ribbon 1000
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + TGS Sea Citrus
Very nice qualities from this soap. Richly creamy and really slick... the scent is very pleasant too!
2nd shave with this razor still on the jnat edge and it was really comfortable. Just smooth 3+1passes without any issues for a sas result. A very enjoyable session with this razor. Aftershaves were excellent too.
20210825_091515.jpg

ANt1bkX.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Paladin Lotus Select Badger
Soap: Martin De Candre Rose
Razor: Merkur Mergress (2)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Myrsol Plastic Shave Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Floris No.89 EdT

A relaxing three pass shave. The Paladin brush works really well with this soap.

Todays Cold Water Shave Kit - Wednesday 25th August 2021

Shave Score 10.0/ 10.0

PreShave: Hot Shower \ PAA The Cube 2.0 "Menthol" \ Signature Soaps - Patchouli\Orange Foaming Shower Wash
PreShave: PAA The Cube 2.0 "Non-Menthol"
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Yaqi 26mm - Timber Wolf
Razor: Karve Aluminium (C)
Blade: Gillette Super Blue (1)
Post Shave ASL: Tabac
Post Shave Balm: Tabac
Post Shave Cologne: Tabac

Ok I might have found the perfect combo of gear for me now, cant beat the tabac combined with the Karve on a C plate with a Gillette Super Blue, does anyone wanna buy 60 soaps/creams 40 after shaves/5 brushes/ 5 razors and around 1000 blades :)

Have a great day all.

Joe

IMG_0089.jpeg

SOTD 25-Aug
20210824_180433.jpg
Prep: Warm shower
Brush: PAA Phantom
Soap: A&E Barbiere Sofisticato
Razor: Blackland Sabre L2

Good shave again this morning with the sabre, for the first time it did slip out of my hand and I had a very interesting introduction to careful juggling. To be fair with the handle on this I'm surprised it took this long, but I was expecting it to happen more so if I had been careless with not washing off the PAA cube properly. Still love using this razor though, but I will be on the look out for a good condition vintage in the very near future.

I'm becoming a little less enamoured with the PAA Phantom though, it is a great brush but it just doesn't stand the test against my badger and boar. I might cycle through my synthetics and see whether it's just this particular brush or if I am a natural convert.

Hope everyone has a cracking day!

Cheers

Marc

25/08/21
Pre - Shower, Cold water Face rinse
Brush - Simpson Chubby 2 Synth
Soap - Proraso Red
Razor - Gillette Slim Adjustable H3 #5
Blade - Timor SP (1)
Post - Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm - Proraso Red
A/S - Proraso Red

Wk34 (5).JPG
Yip, i was right, King C Gillette knew what he was doing :love:
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

25 August

PAA Solstice
PAA The Green Ray
Feather AS-D1
Feather Hi-stainless
Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso

1C82922B-7472-427A-9D3D-CE0D6BF8E4AE.jpeg

That was a really great shave this morning. The AS-D1 shines with a brand new Feather blade and it produced a really close but gentle two pass shave. The contrast between the Green Ray brush (faux horse) and yesterday’s Atlantis (silver synth/G4 (guess)) was enormous. The Atlantis has a surprising amount of backbone and the Green Ray is pretty floppy, but they both work equally well.

Wed 25th August

Muhle Silvertip -A
Williams Mug soap
Yaqi Raster V2
Schick Proline [ 2 ]
Williams Aqua Velva A/S Lotion

Continuing my Daily Shaves with The Raster/ Schick, and I managed to get a cut/ weeper due to a couple of ill conceived strokes. The Schick is not quite as forgiving as the Kai Blades I have been using. Apart from that small mishap the Shave went very well, and I got a great close all round finish with ease.

IMG_1618.jpg

25/8/21

Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Nacet (6)
Brush - Yaqi 26mm Fan Tuxedo/Mysterious Blue Handle
Soap - Arko Stick
Post - Barts Balm Sample G
AS - Superdrug Forest Fresh

A dense voluminous lather with the Arko stick and fan Yaqi Tuxedo. I'm 99% sure there is a distinct difference between the Arko stick and puck, the latter has a much slicker lather with a higher content of glycerine, and I can notice the difference between the two lathers when they are on my face and looking at the stick and the puck, the latter seems denser and a little shinier, the stick seems a bit dull in comparison.

Now onto the shave itself. For yesterday's shave, I found the Nacet struggling a bit in an Old Type, so I shifted the blade into a Fat Handle Tech, and the blade seemed to spring back to life. I almost forgot how incredibly sharp the Nacet is and I came close to a few bites, but I think I was saved by the residual slickness of Arko [thanks to the glorious benevolence of the Arko Man], but with great sharpness comes great closeness and my face felt very close at the end of the shave when I put on the splash. A little bit of post shave burn when I put on the splash, but it went within seconds.

Have a good day chaps.

Back
Top Bottom