SOTD : Saturday 18th July - Friday 24th July 2020

Date:- 21 July 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Petrichor
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Nacet #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)

UoUuNKi.jpg

Razor: Rex Ambassador
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Tony Forsyth Matilda Prototype Rhodium knots 2-band Silvertip
Lather: Stirling Bergamot Lavender

Finally some time to post a shave again - it is great to be back!

I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday (y)

Sotd-21-07-20.jpg

Prep - facial scrub
razor - Gillette Slim (5)
blade - Tatra (3?)
brush - Semogue LE badger and boar
soap - Signature - Valentia
post - witch hazel
a/s - Deliplus - Spanish supermarket brand
balm - Arran - Lochranza.

Well done me - I managed to get it together to shave after eight days - it took a supreme effort of will - let me tell you - but I'm really glad I did - I feel - and look - so much better. Decided to go for a Signature lather - it appears to be the law around these parts? :) Joking aside - @BrianH - this is very good soap - nice complex scent and excellent performance in every respect. Back in the room - the black dog is away chasing his stick - have a good day all - have excellent shaves - yours - I.

21/07/20
Cold Water Shave
Brush: Simpson Commodore X1
Soap: Signature Soap Valentia
Razor: Henckels Rapide
Blade: Henckels Rapide Wedge (God only knows - 1 for me)
Post shave: Cold water splash, Homemade Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Rosemary and Sandalwood Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Proraso Red

Wk30 4. Tues a.JPG
Well that was an enjoyable shave, i re-stropped the blade 20 laps on Canvas and 25 on Leather, i had a GEM blade on Standby and the Rocnel is already in the bathroom.
This little Simpson is an amazing little brush and seems to hold a lot of lather, i completed a face lather straight from the tin, the Valentia from @BrianH 's Sig soap range is more typical of the scents i go for and did not disappoint at all, a nice well balance scent, a wonderful slick chin covering, very nice.
A little apprehensive to start with as this Henckels does look like something from Madame Tussaud's torture chamber. The first WTG pass was somewhat different and it took a while to find the angle, very hit and miss i was struggling a bit with going under the nose and over and under the chin.
Things seemed to click on the second XTG pass, the razor began to sing when the angle was correct, definitely a "Toast scraping" paid up member. I noticed the angle was relatively steep with the handle closer to the skin. keeping this in mind i completed a 90% ATG pass, again not confident under the nose and up and over the chin.
A nice cold water rinse and a check, i would say a DFS result with just the top lip and base of the chin giving light roughness indications.
Now then, looking at the little brush, i thought - plenty left in there - why not? a light tip dip and i set about creating another face-full of lovely scented Valentia lather, easily enough to complete a buffing pass.
Using the Rocnel, Top lip and chin area taken care of, i ran over the devils whirlpools to check and to be honest there was nothing there.
Result - BBS and feeling pretty comfortable with a nice post shave feel.
Another quick rinse, pat dry and a rub of witch hazel, very nice, no real indication, this just gets better.
I finished off with the Barts Balm Lotion then Balm and a good splash of Proraso Red.
Just Dandy.
One very happy bunny.
I completed a clean down of the razor dried off the blade and completed another set of Laps on the strop ready for its next outing.
Stay Safe and enjoy your day all

Last edited:
View attachment 57345

Prep - facial scrub
razor - Gillette Slim (5)
blade - Tatra (3?)
brush - Semogue LE badger and boar
soap - Signature - Valentia
post - witch hazel
a/s - Deliplus - Spanish supermarket brand
balm - Arran - Lochranza.

Well done me - I managed to get it together to shave after eight days - it took a supreme effort of will - let me tell you - but I'm really glad I did - I feel - and look - so much better. Decided to go for a Signature lather - it appears to be the law around these parts? :) Joking aside - @BrianH - this is very good soap - nice complex scent and excellent performance in every respect. Back in the room - the black dog is away chasing his stick - have a good day all - have excellent shaves - yours - I.
Thanks Ian, glad you chose not to be a law breaker! Take care of yourself. Regards Brian

21/7/20

Prep- warm water face wash
Razor- Merkur progress
Blade- Nacet (2)
Brush- Simpson t3
Soap- Kaizen
Post- Cold water rinse
Balm- Nivea balm
A/S Cella
EDT- Oud wood (pp)

3 passes with the progress today. Nacet was a different blade in this combination. Actually really liked it. Very smooth and similar to the GSB'S. No drama enjoyable shave today and near bbs. Didn't chase it after yesterday's rough 3 passes. Finished off with Cella splash and some Oud wood which paired beautifully.

21 July SOTD - Speick to me

Pre: warm shower and soapy bloom water
Soap: Speick Active shaving soap
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm
Razor: Parker Variant (3.5 then 2.5)
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (first use)
Post post: Speick Men Aftershave Lotion

Just returned from a trip to Germany so decided to try out the Speick shaving soap and aftershave splash which I picked up while I was there. The soap, by the way, was almost the cause of a major diplomatic incident when airport security tried to seize it from my hand baggage for being over 100ml. "Es is nicht flüssig" I protested in my best schoolboy German. There was much puzzlement and referral to stern looking men with pistols and handcuffs on their belts before I was eventually allowed to pass without incident.

And I'm glad they did let me through, because this soap is really great. It's got a mild, pleasant scent and lathers up swiftly to a decent cushioning foam. This isn't as creamy and heavily scented as some of my tallow-based artisan numbers, but it's certainly a good soap which gets top marks for value at under €10 for a 150g tub. I used a bowl but this could be lathered just as easily in the plastic tub it comes in.

The alum block was certainly necessary as a result of overconfidence with a new-ish razor and a new blade with which I'm unfamiliar. I still prefer my Voskhods thank you very much, but it'll last me 3 or 4 shaves before I switch back. I'm pleased to say the couple of nicks on my chin and neck were quickly soothed by the combination of alum and aftershave lotion. The lotion is another great value purchase, soothing my skin with the witch hazel and leaving a pleasant but subtle fragrance (which doesn't last too long). I do like an aftershave splash and this ticks all the boxes for me.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable shave, despite the nicks, and a great introduction to the Speick line of products which I would have no hesitation in recommending to anyone, particularly if you can pick them up at German prices. Just don't try and sneak them home in your hand baggage!

Back
Top Bottom