SOTD : Saturday 18th April to Friday 24th April 2020

Date:- 20 April 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Barrister & Mann ~ Roam Limited Edition
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6C-R3 / Feather Hi-Stainless #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)

Monday‌ ‌04.20.20‌ ‌SOTD‌

DSCF0002 - Edited.jpg

Gillette ‘48 Aristocrat
Astra‌ ‌Superior‌ ‌Platinum‌ ‌(4)‌ ‌
Simpsons‌ ‌Commodore‌ ‌X3‌ ‌Best‌ ‌Badger‌ ‌
Barrister‌ ‌and‌ ‌Mann‌ ‌Cheshire‌ ‌Shaving‌ ‌Soap‌ ‌

Barrister‌ ‌And‌ ‌Mann‌ ‌Barrister's‌ ‌Cheshire‌ ‌Aftershave‌

DSCF0003 - Edited.jpg

Monday (menthol Monday)

OSP Grapefruit and Menthol
RazoRock BC Silvertip synth 24mm
Face lather
PAL Injectomatic
Schick Proline
Thayer's Lavender and Aloe Vera
Fine Snake Bite after shave

Aye, that'll wake ye up in the mornin'.

An outstanding shave from the set up this morning. What a great wee razor the Injectomatic is. Smooth but assertive; with three passes resulting in a face-strokingly polished finish; were it fashionable to face stroke just now.

Cool, mentholated and quite awake for a Monday.

B45F6313-FC54-417D-96DE-CABCE883687D.jpeg

Monday's Shave

Preshave: Argan Oil Soap
Razor: Muhle Rocca
Blade: Personna Platinum (German Version) (2)
Soap: S.V. Tundra Artica
Brush: Cadman 30mm Synthetic
Splash: Proraso Red Sandalwood
Balm: Bart's Rosemary and Sandalwood
EDT: Dunhill Pursuit (Sandalwood)

The German Personna like most blades got better with the second shave , a very nice medium sharp blade every bit the equal of the Israels it replaces if not slightly better, is my impression so far, and at 12.95 Euros for 100 good value too.

20200419_151856.jpg

Sunday 19th April

Pre - Proraso Green
Razor - Feather ASD2
Blade - Voskhod (2)
Brush - Simpson Captain 2 Best
Cream - Maca Root & Aloe
Post - Homemade Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil
Balm - Maca Root & Aloe Gel

Nice comfortable DFS again with my faithful ASD2. I might bring out my vintage Velvet OC tonight as a bit of a change. I use the Feather 99% of the time as it just perfect for me especially with a Lab Blue blade. The Velvet is very aggressive (for me anyway) so a Voskhod and 'The Fat' might be the order of the day.

Mon 20th April

RazoRock 400 SE. Plissoft noir
Arko Stick- grated
Schick N3
Schick S/S Twin -Japan [ 6 ]
Pitralon Original A/S Lotion

I moved back to my Injector rotation after an interlude with some AC/SE Razors. A perfect choice today in the N3 , which for me is the best Schick that I have which takes a Twin Blade, and that includes an Adjustable which I no longer use.

Today I was again using my newly purchased brush, which slightly dampened quickly whipped up a lather from the Arko. Applying the lather was very quick as the brush covers a large area very quickly with a feather like touch.I know the Arko has its detractors, but I find that it provides a very Shave Friendly lather, and I had a great Shave. This Schick is one of the few that delivers a Shave of the quality that matches many AC/SE Razors, but then it is with a Twin Blade.

IMG_0692.jpg

Last edited:
20/04/20
Pre: Sainsbury's / 1912 Frankensoap, Bergamot, Nectarine & Citrus Musk
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express
Soap: DR Harris Arlington
Razor: Supply V2 Custom Plate #2
Blade: Personna Injector (4)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, EO infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Lavender Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Copycat Bleu
WK 17 (3).JPG
Back to standard and an easy 1, 2, 3 shave.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All

20/4/20

IMG_20200420_123925_4CS.jpg

Razor - Mingshi 3000S
Blade - Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword (3)
Soap - Lea Menthol Cream
Brush - Yaqi Rainbow
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Benjamin's Bay Rum Mentholated

The great gent Chris aka @Boycie83 very generously sent a few things as a PIF which included a Barbarossa Lime/Lea Menthol Shaving Creams and a MingShi 3000S adjustable razor, and I used the latter two for today's shave.

First of all, the Lea Menthol shaving cream has pretty much exactly the same mild marine scent and performance of their standard Sensitive Cream but has a good helping of menthol and it's a very solid performer, produces a nice slick lather with good cushion.

Now onto the razor, the 3000S is surprisingly well made; it has a nice heft/balance, the doors open smoothly and the blade exposure is even. I paired with the razor with a Indian GWS I'd used for the last few days for today's SOTD and here are my thoughts.

The Mingshi 3000S might be the mildest razor I have ever used, as it is an adjustable I was moving the dial up to find out what was the first setting where the blade had positive exposure and I think it might have been around the 5 mark. I found the higher the setting/the bigger the blade gap there was a definite lack of smoothness and even with the gap at the biggest I struggled to get a close shave, I definitely still have a fair amount of growth still on my face after 3 passes!

I still found using this Mingshi adjustable the 3000s and the Futur Clone the 2000S the other day to be a very educational experience, and another thank you to the very generous Chris for sending it on, thanks again!

Anyway chaps, have a good start to the week.

20/4/20

View attachment 53722

Razor - Mingshi 3000S
Blade - Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword (3)
Soap - Lea Menthol Cream
Brush - Yaqi Rainbow
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Benjamin's Bay Rum Mentholated

The great gent Chris aka @Boycie83 very generously sent a few things as a PIF which included a Barbarossa Lime/Lea Menthol Shaving Creams and a MingShi 3000S adjustable razor, and I used the latter two for today's shave.

First of all, the Lea Menthol shaving cream has pretty much exactly the same mild marine scent and performance of their standard Sensitive Cream but has a good helping of menthol and it's a very solid performer, produces a nice slick lather with good cushion.

Now onto the razor, the 3000S is surprisingly well made; it has a nice heft/balance, the doors open smoothly and the blade exposure is even. I paired with the razor with a Indian GWS I'd used for the last few days for today's SOTD and here are my thoughts.

The Mingshi 3000S might be the mildest razor I have ever used, as it is an adjustable I was moving the dial up to find out what was the first setting where the blade had positive exposure and I think it might have been around the 5 mark. I found the higher the setting/the bigger the blade gap there was a definite lack of smoothness and even with the gap at the biggest I struggled to get a close shave, I definitely still have a fair amount of growth still on my face after 3 passes!

I still found using this Mingshi adjustable the 3000s and the Futur Clone the 2000S the other day to be a very educational experience, and another thank you to the very generous Chris for sending it on, thanks again!

Anyway chaps, have a good start to the week.
Glad you enjoyed the cream. Hopefully the 3000S improves as you dial it in. (y)

Well why not some more citrus? Stirling Satsuma is a lovely blend of Mandarin orange and oriental spice. If you have ever had occasion to enjoy Satsuma fragrance oil in a scent heater at home this smells exactly like its namesake.

Today's razor the Gillette New SC with a long, thin handle and refinished in 24k by BackRoadsGold. As OC go this one is very smooth and just a joy to use. Balanced quite nicely on this handle coming out slightly head heavy so it just glides down the face.

No need to chase BBS today and a lovely two pass DFS shave achieved. Top it all off with some Acqua di Parma Colonia. Another workweek...please stay safe and enjoy some sun on your face (through the window). God bless.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette New SC - Gold 1930s
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1
Lather: Stirling Satsuma
Aftershave: Stirling Satsuma
Additional Care:
Acqua di Parma Colonia
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
3B161167-0028-47F6-8B0E-E422D33D817D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom