SOTD : Saturday 18th April to Friday 24th April 2020

The theme for this particular shave was 'My first shave to make it on to the SOTD for the week Saturday 18rd April to Friday 24nd April 2020. Because it is'

IMG_20200418_220139.jpg
Choice of razor for my first shave to make it on to the SOTD for the week Saturday 18rd April to Friday 24nd April 2020 - Long handled brass Hone
Choice of blade to go with my choice of razor for my first shave to make it on to the SOTD for the week Saturday 18rd April to Friday 24nd April 2020. The long handled brass Hone
Choice of cream for my first shave to make it on to the SOTD for the week Saturday 18rd April to Friday 24nd April 2020 - OSP Eucalyptus and Menthol
Choice of brush to go with my choice of cream for my first shave to make it on to the SOTD for the week Saturday 18rd April to Friday 24nd April 2020.

I can't be bothered to go on with my intro any further as death appears to be a better option than all this copy, paste and edit palaver so yeh, there was a scent. Extro Arancia. Very orange

Other than that no one ever reads all this rubbish. Not even me.

So just cut the crap Chris and get to the point and then move on to the only bit of your SOTD's of any value, the Japanese metal babes.

The OSP was a bit of a bugger and took a lot of water to make any sense of it. The lather was on the thicker side and the best way I can describe it was 'quite oily'. Tended to clog the brush up more than I am used to and certainly not light and fluffy. Fine to use, but not a soap as we know it Jim. The scent was still there and quite an eye watering menthol hit.

In general though I am not sure the cream is ageing too brilliantly.

The Hone? Last seen on here after deciding to give it a damn good buff and polish and then just staring at it since. Time to unstare at it and give it an outing. A nice move.

Throw a Feather between the plates and this lump of a beast is simply awesome. To look at one wouldn't think it is going to deliver a finely tuned shave, but it does so with finesse and some of that stuff which gives it awesomeness.

Shaved to perfection. Pity my wife decided differently and got so bored with the whole palaver she thought going to bed was more interesting
Have a safe and healthy week ahead all you folk of the forum and I leave you with some of that end event and the only reason you can be arsed with my SOTD's

Sunday 19th April
Mervyn Cadmam Custom - James Riley's (OSP) Test Soap No8 - Gem Junior LC - Gem SSC #1 - James Riley's No8 A/S - Aloe Vera Gel
zwpRPWZ.jpg

Birthday shave required something a bit special.
Be well everyone.

Happy birthday Arthur Electric

C94C8002-74CB-4941-9104-0EF17AD22854.jpeg

SOTD Sunday, April 19, 2020

My wide body cap from Karve Shaving arrived a few days ago. Although I enjoyed my Tech shave yesterday, I wanted a DE shave with a heavier blade holder, and the Karve Christopher Bradley razor at 111 grams with the Wizamet Super Iridium blade fit the bill. I've always enjoyed this razor! It was the first modern artisan razor I purchased after 50 years of shaving with my trusty Schick Krona. My only gripe was the exposed blade tabs. Yes, I was one of those spazzes who unerringly would nick his ear with the exposed tabs every couple of shaves. As a result I stopped shaving with it as frequently as I used to, and as I accumulated more razors, the frequency of use diminished even more. With the new wide body cap, my gripe goes away.

For today's shave I selected Sterling Obsidian soap and AS Splash. I normally shave the Karve with a D-OC baseplate. The look of the razor has changed eith the new top cap, but the shave is still as excellent as ever. This razor is definitely going back in the regular rotation. While not in the same weight class as the brass TAR, it still delivered my desired shave. The Jayaruh #343 Synthetic generated a great cooling Glacial Obsidian lather. The wonderful Anise smell reminded me of the delicious cookies my Italian grandmother used to make when I was a boy. The weight and balance of this razor in hand make its use a delight. That first WTG pass mowed my whiskers right down to the skin line. One more ATG clean-up pass was all she wrote, and as a friend of mine from Atlanta is fond of saying, “put the baby to bed”! The result was an effortless BBS that easily passes the cotton ball test. I feel clean, cool, smooth, and refreshed.

RAZOR: Christopher Bradley w/ D-OC
BLADE: Vintage Polish Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Jayaruh Synthetic #343
SOAP: Stirling Glacial Obsidian
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Glacial Obsidian AS Splash. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm

So just cut the crap Chris and get to the point and then move on to the only bit of your SOTD's of any value, the Japanese metal babes.

Ok then, here's one of my favorite versions of this song. The video has everything, including fishes and some anime stuff. Plus as a bonus there's some trance music in the mix. I have a strong affinity for Asians in general.

Song's in Japanese but the words are included (also in Japanese...heh).

I am pretty sure you will find this amusing,

Martin

Pre - Trumpers Sandalwood Skin Food
Cream - Sweyn Forkbeard - Vanilla and Tobacco Leaf
Brush - New Forest
Razor - Merkur 34G
Blade - Wilkinson (2)
Post - Alum, followed by Trumpers Sandalwood Skin Food

Nice shave today. I always find a few small areas of roughness on my neck as the day progresses. I don't bother to do touch ups as it normally results in redness, I just settle for a comfortable shave.

View attachment 53699
How do you find this cream? Tempted to pull trigger on a tin

Ok then, here's one of my favorite versions of this song. The video has everything, including fishes and some anime stuff. Plus as a bonus there's some trance music in the mix. I have a strong affinity for Asians in general.

Song's in Japanese but the words are included (also in Japanese...heh).

I am pretty sure you will find this amusing,

Martin

Indeed I did

Wow, I haven't seen coates for years. How is you tube holding up, it's obviously not gone off just yet.

How do you find this cream? Tempted to pull trigger on a tin
I like it. I prefer it to Trumpers creams, but I do prefer TOBS. The consistency is different to the usual London creams (TOBS, Trumpers, DH Harris and Trufitt and Hill). It's very lathers well, and is nice a slick, I've not had a poor shave with it yet. I did have a 15% discount code they were doing during the lockdown but can't find the screen shot I took from their instagram account stories. I probably deleted once I'd made my order.

Wow, I haven't seen coates for years. How is you tube holding up, it's obviously not gone off just yet.

I like it. I prefer it to Trumpers creams, but I do prefer TOBS. The consistency is different to the usual London creams (TOBS, Trumpers, DH Harris and Trufitt and Hill). It's very lathers well, and is nice a slick, I've not had a poor shave with it yet. I did have a 15% discount code they were doing during the lockdown but can't find the screen shot I took from their instagram account stories. I probably deleted once I'd made my order.
Ok,thanks for the info, will try a tin

Back
Top Bottom