SOTD : Saturday 17th March - Friday 23rd March 2018.

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Castle Forbes pre-shave gel
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: Australian Private Reserve Fougère Bourbon Rose
Razor: Gillette Slim (4)
Blade: Vintage Gillette Stainless (2)
Scent: Knize Forest

First shave using the Little Wren Pottery bowl, and what better soap to christen it with than APR Fougère Bourbon Rose. The bowl worked a treat. In fact, so well that I initially over-aerated the lather through excessive agitation. A quick adjustment and all was well.
Three passes, followed by some buffing to arrive at BBS. The scent of the APR soap is complex and has good strength; my bathroom now smells fantastic.
My second shave with the Slim. It reinforced my initial opinion that this razor is nimble, and provides excellent feedback, allowing precise blade contact. It is very comfortable at setting 4, so I may increase the blade gap to test the efficiency vs comfort trade-off. The sharpness of the Knize Forest fougère scent provided a nice counterpoint to the richer tones of the APR soap.

RazoRock 400
Wickham 1912 Irish Fern
Rockwell 6C plate 4
Astra SS (1)
Lime witch hazel
Proraso GreenASL
L'oreal Balm
Issey Miyake L'eau De Issey EdT

This Astra SS blade was as I remembered. Sharp but not as refined as the SP variant
More blade feel but not uncomfortably so.
Wickham Irish Fern is always a pleasure to use. All required properties are evident and the scent is enjoyable.
My Issey Miyake only has a couple more uses left at best. I must have had this bottle for over 15 years and it still smells as good as new.
I needed a bit of pampering today. Yesterday I slipped on a white board that was buried under snow and hit my head on the ground, resulting me attending hospital. I'm left with a whiplash injury and a cracking headache.

Take it easy, mate have a speedy recovery.Regards. B.

Thank you gents for your good wishes
I'm sure the muscles and soft tissues in my neck will return to normal before too long
It's just one of those things I guess

Paul, it's easy to make a decent EdT last for over a decade when you are an avid collector like myself. Almost all of the surface of my dressing table is taken up with them !
I have some Hugo Boss Original that's even older, and it still smells brand new !

My last day with the Newbie box :(

The Qshave has already been relegated to the disinfectant bath, so I break out the R89 for a fond farewell. I was sorely tempted to have another go with the P&B Sanskrit soap, but those samplers aren't huge, and it wouldn't be fair to subsequent users. Instead I open up the LA soap factory's Woody Lavender which is easily pleasant enough, and gives a nice lather with very little effort.

R89 head on (my own) RazoRock bamboo handle/Voskhod(3)/LA soap Woody Lavender/Body Shop synthetic

A lovely relaxed shave. I'm going to have to do some shopping ...

Morning, SOTD 21 March 2018; greetings from Berlin.

A German based shave in that the only shave kit I packed was my trusty iKon 101 shavecraft, the Elemis shave oil and the Tabulab Rasa.

Managed to buy some wilkinson sword de blades; Speck shaving cream and Pitralon aftershave.

A decent three pass shave; I think the water hardness made the shave less efficient than normal.

Nevertheless very enjoyable shave; great to try the Speick shave cream and the Pitralon; both of which smell devine.

All the best,

Chris

Thank you gents for your good wishes
I'm sure the muscles and soft tissues in my neck will return to normal before too long
It's just one of those things I guess

Paul, it's easy to make a decent EdT last for over a decade when you are an avid collector like myself. Almost all of the surface of my dressing table is taken up with them !
I have some Hugo Boss Original that's even older, and it still smells brand new !
Yes, now you have explained I fully understand :) I have more than I probably should but it's good to smell great isn't it! :) Paul.

image.jpg ~SOTD~

Prep ~ Shower, La Toja Tallow Soap
Razor ~ Muhle R41 (2013)
Blade ~ Personna 74*
Soap ~ Klar Kabinett
Brush ~ SOC Badger
Post ~ Myrsol Blue AS
Scent ~ Balenciaga Paris edp

A close and comfortable shave from the 41 & 74, helped with a wonderful lather from the Kabinett. Finnished off with the Fab Balenciaga edp, lovely warm Sandelwood, Cedawood and musk base notes with spicy and citrus notes above that, perfect! :) P.

Wishing you all a great day.....P.

Last edited:
View attachment 34177 ~SOTD~

Prep ~ Shower, La Toja Tallow Soap
Razor ~ Muhle R41 (2013)
Blade ~ Personna 74*
Soap ~ Klar Kabinett
Brush ~ SOC Badger
Post ~ Myrsol Blue AS
Scent ~ Balenciaga Paris edp

A close and comfortable shave from the 41 & 74, helped with a wonderful lather from the Kabinett. Finnished off with the Fab Balenciaga edp, lovely warm Sandelwood, Cedawood and musk base notes with spicy and citrus notes above that, perfect! :) P.

Wishing you all a great day.....P.
Lovely line-up, Paul. An R41 loaded with a P74 - you'd just about be able to split atoms. ;)

Excellent excellent setup. So far I haven't found better soap from The Sudsy Soapery. Lady Eversharp (Schick type L2, if I'm not mistaken) had also proven great. Regarding blades. This was my first usage of Chicks and I though then immediately better than Personna and Proline B-20.
Aftershave was Floid Blue, which is coming to an end unfortunately.
4cdd6dd7fad567c145c8764bcdca0051.jpg

S.O.T.D:21/03/2018:

c76e1469755798d13e62e3e309da7fd8.jpg

[emoji829]Soap: Declaration Grooming - After The Rain sample
[emoji829]Razor: Merkur Mergress (2-2-2)
[emoji829]DE Blade: Personna Med Prep (2)
[emoji829]Brush: Brushguy
[emoji829]Postshave: Myrsol Blue Aftershave

Another great shave using the Declaration Grooming - After The Rain soap sample, all the qualities you would expect from a top tier quality soap were present in this shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom