SOTD : Saturday 17th April to Friday 23rd April 2021.

Pre = Fitjar Islands Charcoal Soap Bar
Razor = Feather AS-D2
Blade = Feather ( 1 )
Brush = Alpha Rubberset 400 Travel
Soap = Mammoth Hygge
Balm = Mammoth matching Hygge
Splash = Mennen Skin Bracer.
What a difference a couple of days make,
absolute brilliant three pass bbs shave with a first use feather.
& A first time for me with Mammoth soaps.
I have to say these soaps are class kind you i say that about them all lol :ROFLMAO: but it’s true i love them all. This Hygge is a traditional barbershop scent which i love, on a personal note i prefer a strong scent but this is probably a 5-6/10 but none the less i’m more than happy with it.
The balm is super thick and you only need a spot however i ended up with a huge amount and i was rubbing it in for around 2 days lol.
Topped off with Skin Bracer man this stuff is so underrated. A fiver of amazon well spent even although it took 7.5 years to get to me
Slight Exaggeration for anyone ordering it

C5A0B097-084F-4561-B7F4-820D6B5D94CE.png

Saturday AM 2021-04-17
International Bat Appreciation Day
JUBVb32.jpg

Rooney 3/2 Faux Horn Finest (24/54)
Martin de Candre shaving soap + Coate's Lavender shaving cream
Haircut & Shave P075-SB Mixed Metal Black/H&S 17-4
Wilkinson Sword 'New' (18)
Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo aftershave

The Coate's cream moderates the soap's fragrance nicely, with great lather. I'm not certain, but the blade may have been dragging very slightly; it might just be the razor's character. Altogether a very good floral shave on a temperate morning.
XUj13yq.jpg

Last edited:
SoTd
Honestly have no idea why I have to urge to keep trying this stuff but I suppose it’s because I see it as a challenge plus it gave me the chance to try out the rebranded DE89, yet again a dissipating bubbly lather I suppose it’s usable maybe in a pinch when you are running out of shaving soap which I don’t see happening any time soon..it’s got the slickness just no protection at all ! Gonna let me skin have a breather tomorrow from the punishment and then get back to my straights as I really do miss them and nothing else really compares.468E13A7-05D1-43DD-BF2A-459DC7E6B55F.jpeg

Saturday 17th April

ACtC-3diqEU0d7GlIHWhQMJYcyS5ylvMeukNhqFU1y5X2sCx1D3hJAh2y5ZCo4Ur0mQUeqrTSYAhUMfGm-Wr2lkQk9VkTyJPp76aprSXS7no1QZ8rfIatpaNuSeTXcSAO5Xrsv7Wuwq3Nqij31ZmOlo3duc-Fw=s800

French Pink Clay & Charcoal Face Soap
Arko Shaving Stick (Grated)
RazoRock 400 w/Plissoft Noir 24mm
Yaqi Katana DLC w/Star Bakelite Handle
Topaz Platinum (1)
Pinaud Clubman Musk Aftershave Cologne

Cor! My kind of shave, that!

This is a sharp blade! Chatty, too, so guessing thin. That said, on another forum there's chap that refers to it as a thick blade that clamps in nice and rigid, so go figure. It's another platinum from the Malhotra house, but this could not be any more different to the Centwin Super Platinum that I shave with the other day. More like the Gillette Winner Special Platinum, which starts out more like a very good stainless than a platinum, it wasn't until the second shave that the smoothness of a Super Platinum came through. I wonder if this blade will be the same, or perhaps it will remain simply sharp and not at all smooth.

I wondered if it might be one of those blades that are platinum in name, like "Platinum Class" but there is reference to sputtered platinum edges, so guess yes ... it's a platinum blade. That does give hardness and consistency, especially when the initial fierceness has been muted by the first shave.

We'll see ...

This blade is either a sort of Gillette Winner Special Platinum-lite or a super-SuperMax Super Stainless. My initial rating is a tick above all the SuperMax Super Stainless, but a tick below my usual score for a good Super Platinum. 8.4

I made a second pass because I was enjoying it so much. I said, my kind of shave!

Last edited:
View attachment 68343

Today's sotd pic dedicated to Leslie Nielson. (Right, we'll see if anyone gets that.)

razor - Yaqi Katana on monster brass handle
blade - Med Prep (1)
brush - Semogue 2015 HD badger
soap - Kent - hard tallow
post - witch hazel
a/s - LPL - Abricot
balm - Gomez Barberia
scent - Gotas Frescas - Hombre.

Superb finish but crap shave. I would have thought it is included in any man's human rights that you are entitled to a peaceful, quiet and meditative weekend shave? (I should imagine anyone reading this who has children will be laughing uproariously at that statement.) Problem number one - building work downstairs - it has been going on for weeks, f**k me - it's a tenement flat, not the f**king Sistine chapel. Problem two - my new neighbour is a jazz trombonist ( that's two of my least favourite words in the English language in one statement) who decided a spot of practise was in order at the same time I went to shave. So - the hoped for zen mood was ruined. No matter - the mechanics were flawless - I normally have the Katana on a stainless Bulldog-type handle but the monster brass thing was even better - let gravity do all the work. I have no idea how I ended up with it - but I may be able to discern the hoof prints of the Emporium, if so - thanks @Boycie83. Job done - enjoy the weekend all - I.

You can from me , I didn't get along with Sputniks.

Today is my birthday, and Olaf has "birthday" too, so...

Razor: Olaf Rasmussen Institutional Razor
Blade: Perma-Sharp
Brush : Epsilon Butterscotch Amphora Edition
Soap : Wholly Kaw Fouger Mania
AS: Wholly Kaw Fouger ManiaView attachment 68355View attachment 68356
Happy birthday and may you have many more, a great set up for your birthday shave. :)

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom