SOTD Saturday 16th December 2017 - Friday 22th December 2017

Thanks, I think I may well try this 1912 without a shim again, this is I believe quite a late model 1912 and the handle is original but is made of aluminium which I think was common with the later razors. It is very grippy and the razor is super light with this handle. I have some much older 1912 razors which are noticeably heavier.
Very interesting. I have not seen a handle like that before.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Cold Water SOTN 22/12/17

Supply Co. Rex Ambassador
Gillette Wilkinson Sword (#4)
Cyril Salter Indian Sandalwood
DIY re-knotted tuxedo brush

A bracing but refreshing shave,the cold waters a tad chilly in the NE of Scotland at the moment...

25659534_1737742366256307_3490669883395188551_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I think I may well try this 1912 without a shim again, this is I believe quite a late model 1912 and the handle is original but is made of aluminium which I think was common with the later razors. It is very grippy and the razor is super light with this handle. I have some much older 1912 razors which are noticeably heavier.
It's a Peerless I think, which is a later model and @Wayne Pritchard is right, it doesn't need a shim.

It's a Peerless I think, which is a later model and @Wayne Pritchard is right, it doesn't need a shim.
That probably explains the poor performance, when I first got this razor and my other 1912 models I never used a shim.

Do you know if the US made Gem Junior works well without a shim? I picked one up recently and it is awaiting some TLC before it gets used, it is a bare brass finish with the big fat handle.

That probably explains the poor performance, when I first got this razor and my other 1912 models I never used a shim.

Do you know if the US made Gem Junior works well without a shim? I picked one up recently and it is awaiting some TLC before it gets used, it is a bare brass finish with the big fat handle.
They'll all shave well without a shim imo but some of the earlier models improve with a shim, including the Gem Junior.
The model which the shim improves the most, again imo, is the 1924.

Back
Top Bottom