SOTD : Saturday 10th February - Friday 16th February 2018.

Sotd - Thursday - 15/2/18

Razor - ER 1912 English
blade - ER (4)
brush - Simpsons P8 badger
soap - Fitjar Slåtterøy cream
post - witch hazel
a/s - Mundus Bay Rum.

Result - an excellent evening shave.

More adventures linguistic and shaving with Odin's apothecary - Fitjar. Next cab off the rank - Slåtterøy. Quoting - 'Slåtterøy is the name of a lighthouse just west of Fitjar,' and continues 'we can see the beams of light from the lighthouse sweeping across the night sky,' yes, that's what they do - 'two sweeps every 30 seconds.' A fascinating level of detail but what's this got to do with shaving? 'Lighthouses were the guiding light of seamen of old,' - indeed, and presumably still are - a lighthouse without a light is just a very tall thin house. 'A family story goes like this,' - I'll condense the next bit - the soap maker had a relative that went to sea and brought her husband some aftershave - 'in a blue bottle. He treasured that aftershave and kept it long after the bottle was empty.' Get to the bloody point - its bay rum - isn't it? I know, I've just shaved with it and it smells of bay rum. Not quite there yet - her husband 'still remembers the thrill of the gifts from afar, the whiff of overseas, kindling a sense of wanderlust and adventure.' I may be being unfair - perhaps this all reads perfectly well in Norwegian - not in the least bit pretentious? I doubt it though. 'Slåtterøy is our interpretation of a bay rum fragrance,' - yes - we got there! 'Bright notes of cheerful citrus and woody spices,' - fair enough - an accurate description but 'sparkly lemon and lime.' Do Swarovski do citrus fruit? Piss taking aside - it's very good. Not like any other bay rum I have used. Much more complex - again not the strongest scented soap you will find but hands down my favourite of the three creams I have tried by Fitjar. The post shave is very good - in the rare class - for me - that makes a balm unnecessary. The aftershave by Mundus came from hippy Ebay - Etsy. It's witch hazel based so could be shipped from America by the maker. I am close to running out but when I went to get more recently her products - Mundus is the lovely Jennifer - were not listed anymore - which is a bummer. I also have the sandalwood and cedar version - both of which are a guaranteed 'you smell nice,' from my other half. So - smoother than Thor's swimming cap - job done. Enjoy your shaves gentlemen - yours - I.

@Blademonkey - the Salter tallow and a puck of undercover MWF aka Kent to keep it company are on their way.
I have never tried the Kent version of MWF, please let me know what you think in the fulness of time. P. Thankyou
:)

SOTD_20180216.jpg

• Straight Razor: F.A. Herder - #25
  • Shaving Brush: Dogwood Handcrafts - 26mm Abyss (Silvertip Badger)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Shaving Grail Bowl
  • Shaving Soap: Chiseled Face - Panda
  • Fragrance: Zoologist - Panda (Sample)

image.jpg ~SOTD~ Friday 16th FEB

Prep ~ Shower, Donkey milk Soap
Razor ~ Ever-Ready 1912
Blade ~ Ever-Ready Corrux, stropped
Soap ~ Haslinger Schafmilch (Tallow)
Brush ~ Omega 011829 Boar
Post ~ TOBS Jermyn St Collection Alcohol free Aftershave
Scent ~ Guerlain L'Heure Bleue

My first use with this particular razor and I found it to be as good as all my other English 1912s and I think it was a better shave for using a NOS Corrux blade that was sold to me with the razor, a quick strop and it was ready for action.
I have around 100g of the Tallow Haslinger left and shall enjoy each and every shave I have with it.

Have a nice day people......:)P.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 6
20180215_204527-01-jpeg.25040

Last night's shave…

Razor: Blackland Sabre L2 (on loan)
Blade: Personna SS (2)
Brush: Simpsons Captain Manchurian
Bowl: Little Wren Pottery
Soap: Cyril R. Salter Tallow Version (sample)

Firstly apologies as I haven't been on the forum much over the last few days. I need to do some catching up.

A big thank you to Kevin AKA @Boru62 for sending me a selection of razors plus a sample of LEA aftershave.

I've used the original Sabre, thanks to another generous member @Lann a while ago. I liked the look of the razor but not the shave. I found it too mild with a narrow cutting angle. The L2 is quite a big step-up from the original. There was more blade feel and a wider cutting angle. I enjoyed the shave but again I found I needed a number of extra passes on the neck. Although a couple of extra passes were needed I wasn't left with any tenderness.

The shave was helped no end by what could be the best performing soap I've used so far. This is the second time I've used the Cyril R. Salter Tallow sample (from @Acer89 ) and it's really stunning. The slickness is the best I've come across. Yes better than SV or MDC.

Finished off with a sample of LEA aftershave sent by Kevin. I used it last night and I was really impressed (yes this is Blackmass AKA Goldilocks writing this and my account hasn't been hacked). There was a fair bit of feedback but not too painful and there seemed to be a lot of menthol too. I think this could be great in the summer. The scent has grown on me too.

Thanks to Kevin and James for the samples, it's very much appreciated.
@Looney12345

Have a good weekend gents.
Cheers
Rob

Friday

Valobra Stick (tallow)
RazoRock BC Silvertip
Face lather
Schick E3
Schick Proline B
Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
Proraso M&E After Shave

First outing for the Valobra Stick. I got the mentholated non-tallow block a while back and squidged it into an empty TOBS container. Good stuff. Anyway...

Having wet the end of the Stick and applied to my wet face, it wasted no time in depositing a nice white film. The damp brush was then applied and the result was a lovely amount of rich, protective lather that I took great delight in generating. It has a lovely clean smell too; and gave great glide for the E3.

To be honest, 2 passes would have done; after yesterday's AC shave, there wasn't a huge amount of bristles. However, I went for three and squidged the rest of the soap from the brush, before working it into my face and leaving it, whilst I tidied up.

It is a great soap, IMO. Heartily recommended for tallow fans out there. Great protection and glide. I look forward to trying it with my Feather Artist Club. For those that avoid tallow, the non-tallow blocks are really good.
28AB6B21-5D09-42BF-873E-CFC7B9164E01.jpeg

Fri 16th Feb
Omega 11126 boar
Fitjar Slattery cream- sample
Ever Ready Natural Angle [ HFT ]
Gem S/S [ 4 ]
Jaguar Prestige A/S Lotion

Today I used the British equivalent of the "G Bar", which is the mildest and most forgiving of the Razors used over the last few days.

The Razor is very tactile and so easy to use, and aided by the very slick lather from the Fitjar
I think I attained my closest ever Shave with this Razor, with no problems.The Cream has a Bay Rum Scent and leaves the skin feeling refreshed after the Shave.

I think this quite modern looking Razor would make a great Starter for those wanting to try
SE Shaving, like the others I have used over the last few days it provides better Shaves
than I have got from some modern SE/Gem Razors.

IMG_0239.jpg

Back
Top Bottom