SOTD : Saturday 10th February - Friday 16th February 2018.

Friday 16th February 2018
SOTD 16th Feb.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + Body Shop Maca Root face wash and Proraso White
Razor: Razorock Hawk + SS handle from manlystuff.ie
Blade: Feather Pro (#6)
Brush: Semogue 610
Bowl: Korium
Soap: Valobra Cologne
AS: Acqua di Parma Colonia lotion
EDT: Acqua di Parma Colonia

Fantastic shave and then off to the cinema to see the new Marvel film the Black Panther with my son.

20180215_204527-01-jpeg.25040

Last night's shave…

Razor: Blackland Sabre L2 (on loan)
Blade: Personna SS (2)
Brush: Simpsons Captain Manchurian
Bowl: Little Wren Pottery
Soap: Cyril R. Salter Tallow Version (sample)

Firstly apologies as I haven't been on the forum much over the last few days. I need to do some catching up.

A big thank you to Kevin AKA @Boru62 for sending me a selection of razors plus a sample of LEA aftershave.

I've used the original Sabre, thanks to another generous member @Lann a while ago. I liked the look of the razor but not the shave. I found it too mild with a narrow cutting angle. The L2 is quite a big step-up from the original. There was more blade feel and a wider cutting angle. I enjoyed the shave but again I found I needed a number of extra passes on the neck. Although a couple of extra passes were needed I wasn't left with any tenderness.

The shave was helped no end by what could be the best performing soap I've used so far. This is the second time I've used the Cyril R. Salter Tallow sample (from @Acer89 ) and it's really stunning. The slickness is the best I've come across. Yes better than SV or MDC.

Finished off with a sample of LEA aftershave sent by Kevin. I used it last night and I was really impressed (yes this is Blackmass AKA Goldilocks writing this and my account hasn't been hacked). There was a fair bit of feedback but not too painful and there seemed to be a lot of menthol too. I think this could be great in the summer. The scent has grown on me too.

Thanks to Kevin and James for the samples, it's very much appreciated.
@Looney12345

Have a good weekend gents.
Cheers
Rob
Thanks for the tag Rob.
I'm surprised about the Sabre, I find it very efficient but then again I struggled with the Mongoose and others love it.
The Lea smells a lot different on than it does in the bottle but it does split opinion.
Hi Kevin,
I think most of us are in the same category. I found recently whist doing a familiarisation Shave run on a Good Razor, I was getting quite bored after 5days and had to steel myself
to complete the week.
Mike
I think you hit the nail on the head earlier Mike when you said "Variety is the spice of life."

Pre: Warm water face wash
Brush: Omega 11137 Boar
Soap: Cyril R. Salter Tallow
Razor: Marspen OC
Blade: Gillette Nacet
IMG_20180216_165340.jpg

Many thanks to James (@Acer89) for a very generous PIF which included this wonderful soap.
It has everything you want in a soap and some: Pleasant Scent✓ Cushion ✓ Slickness ✓✓ Post Shave ✓✓
The Gillette Nacet is one of my favourite readily available DE blades, sharp and smooth from the first.
The Marspen showed none of its +70 years as it sprightly danced across my face, eradicating all in its path.
What a great end to the week.
Happy Shaving one and all!

Friday AM 2018-02-16

Georgetown Pottery G12 scuttle (Hamada & Persimmon)
Rooney Emillion 1 Porcelain Finest (25/50) (new brush)
Figaro P.160 shaving soap (vintage)
Delta Echo Black Chrome-Nickel Feather AS-D2
Personna Super Platinum Chrome (8)
Azzaro aftershave

I can tell already that this brush is going to be a favorite. It is firm and has great backbone, but the hair tips are extremely soft.
9INh2zg.jpg

Sotd - Tuesday - 13/2/18

Razor - Micromatic OC brass
blade - Gem (3)
brush - Maseto 30mm silver tip
soap - Fitjar Fjellheim cream
post - witch hazel
a/s - Nivea Sensitive alcohol free.

Result - nice.

Taking off three day's growth. Let's go from the Vergulde Hand of the last shave, to pretty much the opposite end of the soap spectrum - price wise anyway - Fitjar. Thanks to our own @Blackmass - I had the opportunity to try a sample of the Havn cream previously - and remembered it to be very good indeed but the scent was weird - not in a bad way - just not like any other cream I had used. I'm not entirely sure why but I took a notion to order the sample set from the manufacturer. Four small tubs - 20 ML each - of their range. They do an unscented one too but it's not included. It took five days from Norway - unmolested by C&E and the Post Office. I went for the Fjellheim first off. The scent descriptions on the maker's website are wonderfully gushing - have a look - in this case - quoting - 'Makes you feel like you are in the mountains, no matter where you are,' and continues - 'the landscape there is rough and exposed; the wind shapes everything that grows,' we learn. 'Our Fjellheim products make you feel like you are passing a stack of freshly cut timber logs,' - which in fairness to Fitjar - is true for me. Speaking as one that spent a couple of years in their youth cutting commercial timber for a living - that is exactly what it reminded me of. They blow it at the end though - 'juniper bushes when hiking, or like you have been rolling in these bushes on your way through the mountain.' Sounds like a first class way to destroy an expensive Goretex jacket. Anyway - it works really well for me - very concentrated, mollifying the price some what - a lovely 'natural' scent that opens out on lathering - a mixture of Pine, Cedarwood and Juniper essential oils. Not the strongest but not the weakest. Top tier post shave feel and slickness during the shave. Give it a go if that sounds good to you. I very much enjoyed the shave - 'otter jevn' - as they say in Norway. Hope yours are all good - yours - I.

Oh - I liked the fact that when it arrived from Norway - other than the plastic tubs - all the rest of the packaging was paper or cardboard - no foam 'Wotsits' or bubble wrap. This is good but before I bum up my 'Blue Planet' credentials - I subsequently realised I could have bought it from Executive Shaving - a 30 minute walk from my flat in Glasgow. Didn't think that through.

Thanks for the shout out Iain. Glad you like the Fitjar.
Cheers
Rob

View attachment 33412

L'Oreal Men Expert Hydra Sensitive Face Wash
JR168 tuxedo synthetic
P&B Oberon
Grah and Plumacher GOTTA straight
A little alum, and
L'Oreal Men Expert Birch Sap Balm

Good 2 pass shave today. DFS with a straight seemed pretty hard a few weeks ago but I'm getting there
Good on you Dan.
Lovely set up you have there.

Keep up the good work. :)

Pre: Mickey Lee Soapworks Lime Pre Shave Butter
Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome
Brush: Stirling 2-band Synthetic
Bowl : Fine Lather Bowl
Soap: Phoenix and Beau Albion

A very citrusy shave and a quite good one!
Enjoy the weekend gents

6620de4dd004652db5ea22b7329601c4.jpg

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom