Soap

I agree, I have been led by hype and rave reviews about American Artisan soaps for more than I care to admit. When I first started out I imported some Razorock soaps and thought they were great but after having tried more (European) soaps, Razorock just falls behind in terms of performance.

The only American soaps I use now are B&M and Fine shaving soap, except the last one is not even made in the US but in the Netherlands :D

I always had the idea that the US Artisans had better soap but it mostly boils down to scent.
+ 1..:D

Billy

Hmm I can't say I totally agree. Mystic Water, Grandstaff, B&M, certain CRSW and certain Stirling soaps are amongst my best soaps for performance and scent. I always go for both performance and scent when looking for a good soap, as that's what I enjoy from the product.

What often happens is poor scented or poor performing soaps often get pushed, or a user has just used one product from branded range.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
FergieBillie has it right on American "artisanal" soaps. Closely read the reviews online, and it comes down to if the package label looks nice, its great. no matter how bad the shave goes. SO many will give a soap great review points just because they like the scent. even though it shaves like liquod handsoap.

I've only tried some of the US artisanal offerings, there are some very interesting scents, at least for some of them the performance isn't bad, but I find many of them tricky to get good lather out of - in that I can get good lather, but they seem to me more exacting on getting just the right amount of water, no more, no less. Whereas MWF, DRH, Tabac, Haslinger, MdC &c. are much more tolerant and I don't have to work hard to get good lather.

Do you have particular artisans in mind though?

a lot of the so called artisans, are just scenters.

theres a woman that does melt and pour soap with "customs scents". she is honest and admits is melt and pour. A lot aren't that honest.

Kramperts is honest and admit he just does scenting.

a lot of the so called artisans, are just scenters.

theres a woman that does melt and pour soap with "customs scents". she is honest and admits is melt and pour. A lot aren't that honest.

Kramperts is honest and admit he just does scenting.

I agree, I have been led by hype and rave reviews about American Artisan soaps for more than I care to admit. When I first started out I imported some Razorock soaps and thought they were great but after having tried more (European) soaps, Razorock just falls behind in terms of performance.

The only American soaps I use now are B&M and Fine shaving soap, except the last one is not even made in the US but in the Netherlands :D

I always had the idea that the US Artisans had better soap but it mostly boils down to scent.

Not so. First, Razorock doesn't make shave/soap per se, rather they have Italian artisan makers such as Tcheon Fung Sing and other top notch makers like the original maker of P.160 make it to their specs. Razorock is merely an importer/vendor. You have to decipher which line is made by whom.

As well, one has to know how to properly understand Internet reviews as not everyone who posts one is a seasoned shaver. Many are merely neophytes as excited as a monkey with a new shiny object and post stream of consciousness BS. There are good and not so good soap/cream makers in any country as assuredly no one country has a monopoly on intelligence. :rolleyes: As regards scent, makers use it to obviously snare customers because (surprise) it works. Same principle for AS & EdT in a manner. It's not the most important thing for me in a soap, but I see how it can be for others.

As with any other topic, it's best to follow reviewers for whom you have verified in the past as having a very similar appraisal of things as yourself and always using objectivity as a goal.

Finally, http://www.razorock.com/ is in CANADA and not the USA. There is a difference. An American is more apt to know who both his/her parents were. :D (That's a joke.). ;)

from what I have seen. the ingredients vary from batch to batch with razorock. its junk. next stepp.

the addition of menthol in quantities above icy hot in an attempt to fight razor burn is an insult. Addition of meaning less scents is an insult.
Some soaps are staying. Mitchells, kent, taylors, William, arko. all better then razorock.

Cella and Valobra have stayed around for a century or more because of a quality product. so called artisans need to take heed of that lesson.

from what I have seen. the ingredients vary from batch to batch with razorock. its junk. next stepp...

Razorock soaps/creams are made by those very same type Italian makers that you are praising. For instance, their wonderful XXX soap is made "in Italy by Biochimica S.p.A., the distributor of the legendary P.160 and actual manufacturer of Acqua di Parma, Collezione Barbiere..." (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/208794).

The Razorock La Famiglia line is made by esteemed Italian soap maker Tcheon Fung Sing.

I am thinking that you have never used any Razorock soap/creams and are merely speculating. ;)

I have used razorock classic cream. the scent was ok at first. but I ended up having to mix it with Williams last winter to make it usable. even then I still dumped it and switched to straight up Williams and got a better shave.

Back
Top Bottom