So I decided to paint my shoes!

So I ordered all of the Saphir items, very impressed with their Pate De Luxe polish. Easy to build and get a deep shine with.

I have not touched my Cheaney brogues, as I want to get these right. So what I did was to buy a second hand pair of Charles Tyrwhitt Oxford Wingcap that had suffered badly from water damage. Just to see how well I could restore them. Unfortunately the before photo below don't really show how bad the condition of these shoes were really in.

xpsn_948_u2sja.png

The first thing I did was to brush all the salts, (the furry white stuff) off of the leather. The toe caps had badly furred up in places and needed flattening out with some sandpaper. Then I soaked the leather in Jojoba oil, (just as well I am a soap maker) to make the leather supple again which I hope will stop any splitting.

The second stage I used Saphir's Creme Surtine to recolour and condition the leather further. This is a very quick process and rather effortless to do. I didn't buff off at this stage, I decided to go with a coat of polish straight over the top of this and leave the polish to harden.

The final stage was to buff with a brush and apply more polish, let them dry then buff again. I did this a few times. The caps I decided to take them much further just to really see how they would come up, and much to my surprise they came up to a very deep gloss finish using the spit and polish method.

xpsn_10b_u2sja.png

This exercise has certainly given me the confidence to work on the Cheaneys next and I may get these Oxford Wingcaps resoled, if the leather does not split after a couple of wears. Fingers crossed they don't!

I also bought the striping stuff and some dyes, I have some other shoes that I would like to change the colour of, so expect more photo's chaps.

@barberbob thanks again for starting this thread, have found it very rewarding. ;)

Thats an excellent job @Fox.

The leather wont split. If you see any cracking across the creases that will be the polish. I always find that giving them a good buff with a cloth after I have worn them for an hour or so sorts that out.

The jojoba oil is a good idea. I have a 500 ml bottle of that that I have kicking around for ages, may bring it out the shed.

I am really jealous of the "glacage" on them.

I really struggle trying to get a deep shine on the toe area. What method did you use, did you add water?

Back
Top Bottom