So I decided to paint my shoes!

Have had these about ten years but for the last year have kinds fallen out of love with them. Just dumped on the shoe rack.

fk3a00.jpg

Decided they needed a revamp so I gave them a lick of paint

21eu4gx.jpg

They came out ok for a first try but it has made me want to "practice" a bit more

I have actually taken photos of the stages but did not want to clog up the thread incase people weren't interested. If you like I can do a write up a little later

They look pretty good.
I have dyed a pair of brown ones to black using leather dye.

Never thught of painting them though.

MrK1 said:
They look pretty good.
I have dyed a pair of brown ones to black using leather dye.

Never thught of painting them though.

Haha...I did dye them. I just said paint for a larf

UKRob said:
Incredible - I'm also interested in how you did this and the materials.

Ok then, here we go.

Everything I am about to write is from what I learnt/done on this one pair as well as some bits I have read up on.

Materials wise I used Saphir dyes, creams and polishes.

You can also use Fieblings dye but I would not recommend any dye that is too solid (paint like). The Saphir and Fieblings are very runny, go a long way, require several coats and are very forgiving as you can rub out a layer at a time if you mess up.

Okay first thing there is no way you can just put brown on black, it wont work so we need to strip the shoe. Acetone or Deglazer seems to be the weapon of choice but as I had neither I watered down some bleach, got a sponge and away I went for about half an hour.

15euxrl.jpg

After this stage I smothered them in leather food in order for the shoe to recover a bit. Although a good shoe leather cream is advisable here I knew I was going to need a lot which would've worked out expensive so I bought a big bottle of leather conditioner intended for sofas. Seemed to do the trick.

Then the base coat. Decided on yellow as a base so I could basically see what I was doing once I started putting the top coats on

Four coats of yellow later.

oh0gh2.jpg

Again loads of leather food. This also helps to blend a lot of brush marks.

Then time for some green. I "watered" down some with lightening base so colour wasn't solid. I just wanted it so in some lights you could see some glints of it under the brown. Just two coats of this.

345iv0w.jpg

LEATHER FOOD, LEATHER FOOD.

Then the brown. Used some medium brown as any darker may have been too solid. A couple of coats again.

LEATHER FOOD, LEATHER FOOD.

Followed this with two lots of dark brown shoe cream and 3/4 lots of brown shoe polish.

opssnr.jpg

i1me14.jpg

Hope this helps.

Its quite satisfying

Had a go on another pair today.

Got the whole process over and done with within a few hours this time instead of days.

I managed scuff a huge bit off the front of these the other day. Tried to polish them out but to no avail. So thought I would try and lighten the whole thing up a bit and add just a tad of burnishing to hide the scuff.

I had already started on the front when I remembered to take a photo. As you can see they are a dark brown with hints of red from the polishing I have been doing

14wel1l.jpg

Then a few coats later

2qdap3k.jpg

I didn't strip at all to the extent I did the black ones. In fact just a very quick run over with some acetone on a sponge. took all of three minutes over it. Obviously the more you strip the more dramatic a finish you can make

Tried to get a green burnish on it but may have over polished with brown. Next time I may get a green polish to accentuate it better.

Okay, I am not gonna put any professionals out of business but if you see them in real life they do look quite nice.

Last edited:
Fantastic job.

You say you won't put anyone out of business, but you do have the potential to save people some money when they have a decent pair of shoes that need reviving. To me they look better than new with the antique finish you are giving them. I'd bet most "cobblers" could get anywhere near.

Back
Top Bottom