So anyway......when was life ever certain????

HWMOM and I could both be facing redundancy in mid October. If there are any Legal Aid lawyers shaving out there, they will know what I mean.
Me, I like a change as good as a rest. But know from experience that life on the dole is not all it's cracked up to be. And who wants to employ Nannys anyway???? Of course it's utterly illegal to discriminate on the grounds of age (and stupid in my opinion, as at least nannys don't usually need maternity leave). But of course legal rights on the books are meaningless if the people they are supposed to protect can't enforce them. So what can I say....but expect a barrage of offers on the vendor's thread. :lol:

is it a very big "could" or a little tiny may not happen "could" ?

as my company started sending letters out regarding redundancy but in the end all they did was let 6 people that were do to retire next year retire early, then they stopped all overtime, and also had a pay freeze and touchwood nobody YET has been made redundant......

Well, at the moment the information we have is that as the best and most experienced housing solicitors in the West Midlands (as a conglomerate of our staff) the LSC in their wisdom have decided that we should cease trading in mid October......and the 'not for profit' sector should do what we do. So for people with a landlord who won't fix the dangerous electrics or the hole in the roof.....and that includes Local Authorities, they will be going to the advice agency rather than kick ass lawyers from now on, in the West Midlands, at any rate for the most part. And if you too get made redundant, and find yourself and your children sleeping in a porch, and you go in desperation to the council and they tell you there's nothing they can do (despite their legal obligations)....well, we won't be there; the waiting room where you can sleep across the padded chairs if you really have to, and where we actaully pay for people to stay in Bed and Breakfast out of our own pocket on occasion, and the person dealing with case will buy them sandwiches and bring them cups of tea, whilst we are working on the mountain of paperwork required to actually get the thing into court, and on occasions staying with them until 8 and 9 at night until the barrister who is making the out of hours telephone application to the poor high court duty judge has got the injunction to force the council to accommodate this family......well, my opinion is that what the powers that be want is that all you'll get in that situation is a cup of tea if you're very lucky, and not a lot else.
We are appealing.....but frankly the whole thing is such a nightmare of cack handed maladministration, it's impossible to know how it will pan out. I expect they will give us a day or two's notice of the final outcome if we're lucky.
And if the LSC thinks that's libellous, I expect I could get every Legal Aid solicitor in the country to back me up.

I think that there are a lot of people being affected by this type of thing.

So far this year, my wife went through redundacy selection and survived. I have just survived redundancy selection, and next week, my wife and her colleagues are starting ANOTHER consultation period.

This country is in a right mess.

Ian

IanM said:

It may be, but there's much worse than that (other countries in much worse situation, I mean).

Nonetheless, that doesn't mean at all that the people affected in the U.K. are having an easy time dealing with it.

It is indeed a mess, and the mess is global.

I had to 'pre-fire' one of my people here two months ago, our accountant, reducing her time to 3 days/wk and corresponding salary decrease 40% and further announcing to her that this is until end of year. From beginning of 2011 she may simply have to go, that was the 'goal' from the 'head office'.

Work currently continues to be at very low levels, and we are constantly under pressure to further 'slim' our units or rotate people to other units for few weeks where help is needed.

So, no, nothing is certain. They made a mess of it (at the other side of the pond), now the mess is well spread and millions of people worldwide are suffering.

However if we have health, everything (or at least almost everything) is recoverable. Wealth can be created again and again.

Cut the workforce to save money. Up the workload on current staff. Offer no bonus or pay rise.

All the staff get is a pat on the back and a "thank you for your committment through these difficult times" while the companies (and a few top brass) walk away with profits.

Something is seriously wrong.

N_Architect said:
IanM said:
[...]
So, no, nothing is certain. They made a mess of it (at the other side of the pond), now the mess is well spread and millions of people worldwide are suffering.

However if we have health, everything (or at least almost everything) is recoverable. Wealth can be created again and again.

It started in America - it finished in Kirkcaldy!

There is only one man to blame for this mess, his profligacy with public finances, distruction of private pensions, sale of our gold reserves (how long have you got while I rant?) and his lack of fiscal controls were dogmatic lunacy. This mess is going to get a lot worse before it gets better; the Spending Review in September will be very brutal and like nothing we have witnessed before.

The usual suspects will suffer and the usual suspects will prosper.

What a mess, I feel sorry for us all but we need to create wealth and regenerate our economy.

I feel so sad for us all actually.
:(

Blyth Spirit said:
N_Architect said:
IanM said:
[...]

There is only one man to blame for this mess, his profligacy with public finances, distruction of private pensions, sale of our gold reserves (how long have you got while I rant?) and his lack of fiscal controls were dogmatic lunacy. This mess is going to get a lot worse before it gets better; the Spending Review in September will be very brutal and like nothing we have witnessed before.

What a mess, I feel sorry for us all but we need to create wealth and regenerate our economy.

What I'm experiencing, personally, is a workplace that expects more and more of staff, acknowledges the problems, yet does nothing about them and offer the staff no incentives to work that little bit harder.

Unless you count "We should be glad just to have jobs" as an incentive. Staff are progressively being treated worse because top brass know that most of us cant afford to be out of work.

The usual suspects always suffer and prosper and now we've traded one dogma for another.

Big Society...great idea. :lol: There should be enough volunteers for that now they are out of work.

Everything costs even volunteers.

Wifes a Solicitor for the Council and they have been hacking the crap out of her Department.
Luckily shes managed to survive by being overly hard working and extremely flexible about her role in the department (many have thrown a strop about moving around and doing the odd away stint)- plus given the seriously slack ass nature of some of her Co-workers (some of whom could barely be described as working at all...) she has managed to escape any cuts so far -
But they have been matching workers up and going 50-50. 1 stays - 1 leaves. Thats a bloody scary situation to be in.

Community Officers are going to get nailed because they are on yearly contracts, I'm not sure how I feel about that.

The general public feels insecure because they suckle on the Daily Mail, Crime Stoppers and CSI Margate and that's exactly what they get, more uniforms on the street without having to pay 30k a year for a real police officer, maybe they can all become volunteer PCSO's when they are made redundant.

joe mcclaine said:
I wish my place would get rid of me.

Retired at 39?

I'd jump at the chance.

I turn 29 at the Start of September and In all honesty I feel like I could retire then. Or maybe just take some menial job that pays ok but that I don't need to give a shit about.

All this bollocks about how you're meant to be passionate about your work but continually live under the threat of job cuts etc thats like trying to freeze water on a hot plate, it's pointless.

Do you think someone working on a Greggs counter gives a flying f**k about how many sausage rolls are sold on their day off? Probably not, but the guy making all the money would expect them to care about it and know how many were sold.

Blyth Spirit said:
N_Architect said:
IanM said:
[...]

That one eyed, illiterate, obnoxious, treacherous, power seeking F***ing sell out is as, if not more culpable than Tony (I should be publically flayed alive whilst being administered adrenalin) Blair and his charlatan shyster wife. :evil:

Lets start by stopping the £45 million per day paid into the bloody EU.

Well i think this is same all over. My office recently went a consultation period but no pay offs. but other offices in the company did and this is the first time in its history to make reduncays.

Andy i grew up in motherwell am 27 and have a couple of older brothers you might know shows how small a world. :?

Back
Top Bottom