Six Nations Rugby

ChopperHarris said:
I'm going to the match today on a corporate hospitality trip. The last time I did so, I really brought out the 'hospital' in hospitality... looking to bring a measure of self control to today's proceedings - especially as it's my company who are paying and I should be impressing clients.

I don't hold out much hope for an England win (especially as I currently work with 2 Welsh colleagues who will take great pleasure in rubbing my nose in a defeat) but I'm just hoping that they begin to play with a bit more freedom than before. Under the last regime you could almost see the fear of making mistakes grinding the team down.

May the best team win, etc. but I'll be happy if I am able to a) find the station and b) walk their under my own steam.

Brilliant. Enjoy the day.

That's the one thing I miss in retirement.

Had a great time once at a Hampshire v Yorkshire cricket match. Poured with rain all day. Managed to get home all right. Wife picked me up.

There are too many Welsh on this forum.

... erm.... or is it.... as usual, that it is they who puff the chests out and make the most noise? :icon_mrgreen:

sm-england.gif

Yes very good game, wales played kind of below par, but saying that England played well, and if Wales England and the rest of the northern hemiphere teams want to challenge the southern hemisphere, we need to play this fast open paced game that Wales have adopted for the last two years, i'm really impressed with young Farrell, two good teams with two very young sets of players both teams will certainly improve leading up to the world cup, I think this coach certainly is the right England coach, and as openly stated he wants to play and develop along the lines of Wales, which would be a first for a England team, but it's certainly the way forward.

Jamie.

Fido said:
One lucky bounce and a couple of inches.

Outcomes are too often determined by such luck and small margins.

That's sport!

It was pretty obvious that the ball was down on the last England "try". Hard to tell if there was downward pressure though. Consolation thought is "would Toby Flood have converted a long kick from close to the touch line to equal the score". I have my doubts unfortunately.

I was still disappointed with the result though. Good game, but I hate to see Wales win. :-/

Rod

I was sat down by that corner and in real time I had my doubts as to whether he could have truly touched it down - the angles seemed all wrong. I was in the minority though and the noise when the try wasn't given was astounding!

Rod, I share your doubts re. the conversion having been made - would have been great to have seen though.

All in all, it was a great and exciting contest and it was good that we ran the Welsh so close.

The rules categorically state, IRB rules when in doubt NO TRY, doesn't apply when Wales play England also applies to ervery team in the world, I would say after watching many times absolutey no downward pressure ball was above ground at all times.

Jamie.

I struggle to see any controlled downward force in the last try attempt from England. Have to agree with the no try call. A good result for Wales, even if their game wasn't the best.

pugh-the-special-one said:
The rules categorically state, IRB rules when in doubt NO TRY, doesn't apply when Wales play England also applies to ervery team in the world, I would say after watching many times absolutey no downward pressure ball was above ground at all times.

Jamie.

Trouble is, if "downward pressure" is given too much prominence as a criterion, you'll end up with obvious tries being disallowed because someone decided the downward pressure was insufficient. As far as I saw it on TV, the ball touched the grass, but does it have to flatten the grass? Does it have to touch the soil under the grass? These might seem like daft questions, but, as soon as you bring a subjective "was there enough pressure?" debate into these decisions, there's no logical reason for not having those debates. As far as I'm concerned, he had control of the ball and it touched the ground, therefore it was a try. Oh, and lest Jamie accuses me of being one-eyed, I'd have said the same had it been a Welsh player.

22.1 GROUNDING THE BALL. There are two ways a player can ground the ball: (a) Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. 'Holding' means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.

As for the incident, I thought it squirted out while he was being upheld and it lay on his wrist, really couldn't be given.

YESSSSS...Cardiff equalise. Sorry dislike mousers more than Welsh. ;)

That try would have been given in the "proper code" as it was inconclusive then Benefit of doubt usually goes with the attacking side but this code doesn't have that by the look of it, but like has been said he would probably of bombed the conversion :icon_sad:.

If there were to be any complaint, then it should have come from Wales, Rhys Priestland should never have been sent off, he in no way impeded the man with the ball, but we except it and get on with it, and there shuold have been a straight yellow card no arguments, when a england player took Warburtons legs from under him during a line out.

Jamie.

Back
Top Bottom