Simpson Synthetic Badger

Go on then.... Count me in for the passaround. :)

Synthetic brushes are something i have been following for a while, but am yet to feel inclined enough to throw some ca$h at ( this may of course change )

I really like the non-trad coloured handles available aswell

i've been toying with the idea of a synthetic for the last few weeks - the muhle was a frontrunner but now i'll hold on.

the blue handle is great

(+1 on the pass around, obviously) :)

Greetings

It is my belief and I would welcome any evidence to the contrary that all of the very latest generation synthetic brushes made by the main players ie Muhle Simpsons and also Frank shaving and (whatever other Chinese companies market the same brush under whatever name) use exactly the same fibre.

If I am correct, it is a man made product of regular consistency so the only difference should in theory be how the fibre is gathered together to make the knot and how long and wide the knot is and how dense or otherwise the fibres are packed together and the knots shape.

I suspect only one company makes all this 'Silvertip Fibre' and you can be sure that it will not be in Germany or the Isle of Man but probably in the far east. If I am right perhaps the Chinese knots will be just as good or probably the same as any of the others.

With a brush of natural fibre there is always the argument that one company sources better hair than another. If there is only one source for the latest synthetic fibre many of the old arguments used to support vastly different prices for apparently the same (or a very similar) product will prove harder to sustain.

Is it just me missing the information or has the brush industry been tight lipped about where this fibre is all coming from?

Regards
Dick.

Good post Dick.

I'll be getting a few of these Synthetics to draw some comparison's. I've tried the Muhle v1, kent on the way, maybe I will order a Muhle v2 shortly too and see how they perform.

TSR Simpson synthetic sample brush is ready to go (please see pictures).

Do we have a responsible soul who can co-ordinate a list of participants & schedule the brush journey?

Our American cousins have taken this subject matter quite seriously as you will see from their 'rules of engagement' below:

Simpson's Synthetic Brush Pass-Around

Thank you to all members who expressed interest in the Simpson's Synthetic Brush Pass-Around! The participants have been selected and the pass-around will start soon.

The lists of persons in this round of testing includes the first five members within each test region who responded to the original test thread. The criteria calls for members who have at least 200 posts on the ShaveNook and who've been members for at least two months. The test groups were chosen to fit within three geographical areas of the U.S. Coordinators were named for each region.

Area Coordinators and Selected Participants

Each coordinator has posted below the lists of the members in their areas who qualified for the pass-around.

Teiste B.(West)
1. squatzilla801-UT
2. mattloffm-CA
3. Crag-CA
4. Greyhawk-CA
5. Insomniac-CA

Gary C. (South & Central)
1. Cessnabird-Austin TX
2. Texbilly-Austin TX
3. Andrew-Austin TX
4. Wingdo-Chicago IL
5. Johnny-Wausau WI

Jim S. (Northeast)
1. Jpakstis-Lexington MA
2. SharpSpine-Nashville TN
3. Mcgils-Boston MA
4. Taborcan-New Jersey
5. ShadowDad-Central ME

Rules

1. Each tester will agree in advance to test the brushes for five days, and to mail the test brush to the next person on their respective lists on the 6th day, if possible (sometimes the day falls on a Sunday or holiday).
2. All mailings will be by U.S. Priority Mail in a small Priority Mail box. Participants will agree to mail at their own expense (about $6 USD).
3. All participants must agree to post their opinions of their brush in this thread.
4. Each participant is responsible for PM'ing the next test participant in their region to obtain their mailing info, and is responsible for shipping their brushes in a dry and clean condition.
5. At the end of the pass-around, the last person on the list is to return their brush to the area coordinator.
6. Coordinators, at their discretion, may select one additional "wild-card" member to be added to their distribution lists at any point.
The first member in each area will be contacted by PM when the pass-around begins to obtain their mailing details. The pass-around will begin on June 1, 2013.

Congratulations to all participsnts!

[attachment=6997]

[attachment=6996]

Best regards,

Mark

Attachments

• M7 Synthetic 1.JPG
    M7 Synthetic 1.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 43
  • M7 Synthetic 2.JPG
    M7 Synthetic 2.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 55
I'll second you LtB, happy for you to coordinate this. Shall we have a similar set of rules and get a list sorted with you being first and last on the list? How long can this pass around continue Mark? I'm sure there are more than five people wanting to try this brush but if you'd rather it were returned within a certain time frame we will limit the list of testers by some means.

I really like the look of that handle by the way!

Back
Top Bottom