Simpson Brushes

Back to seriousness then! A quick question on the fifty series, just because the 57 is my handle of choice, was it an original design? If so what was it named after?

Yes an original. Not sure on the reason for that one. I will chat with my dad tomorrow, ask the question and get back to you. Bit of inside knowledge for you now though concerning the Wee Scot. As you probably know Great Uncle Alex was Scottish (half my family tree is of course!) but this was not the full reason for the name. My grandmother's madien name was Scot - all ties in nicely!

Shouldn't say it as Vulfix wouldn't be happy but you only need to buy a Duke, Chubby and Wee Scot and you have the best Simpson brushes. If you have those wtaht do you need any others for?!?!?

Gary Young said:
Shouldn't say it as Vulfix wouldn't be happy but you only need to buy a Duke, Chubby and Wee Scot and you have the best Simpson brushes. If you have those wtaht do you need any others for?!?!?

I'm sure Vulfix would be delighted if we all rushed out and bought a Duke, Chubby & Wee Scot :D

Gary Young said:
Bit of inside knowledge for you now though concerning the Wee Scot. As you probably know Great Uncle Alex was Scottish (half my family tree is of course!) but this was not the full reason for the name. My grandmother's madien name was Scot - all ties in nicely!

That's spooky, I was about to ask where the "Wee Scot" came from, since Simpson didn't seem overtly Scottish (although Alexander does...)

Hi Gary~~

Thanks for sharing your family history with us. It is much apreciated.

Perhaps you answered this previously, but you said something like 'the wee scot is the only brush you really need'. Can you shed any light upon why it was this particular brush that Mr. Simpson chose to put his signature on?

Again, thanks for returning to the forum and taking time from your schedule to answer our questions.

pig_bodine said:
Hi Gary~~

Thanks for sharing your family history with us. It is much apreciated.

Perhaps you answered this previously, but you said something like 'the wee scot is the only brush you really need'. Can you shed any light upon why it was this particular brush that Mr. Simpson chose to put his signature on?

Again, thanks for returning to the forum and taking time from your schedule to answer our questions.

He saw the Wee Scot as a very versatile little brush - great for travelling but still ok to use day to day. I agree with Peter though, a Chubby or Dule in best is my preferred daily brush. Great Uncle Alex liked the 'novelty factor' of the Wee Scot. I can remember my Grandfather commenting that it was a 'Dolls House' brush! To be honest it was never an easy brush to make because of it's small size - more fiddly!

Hi Gary. How did the brush makers at Simpson accurately decide on the amount of hair to be used for each model of brush assuming that the Chubby/Polo models are the dearest because they are so densely packed and the other smaller models less so?

Was the density of each model predetermined by weight of hair or did the brush maker just use his own skill and judgement every time?

Thanks for your time.

antdad said:
Hi Gary. How did the brush makers at Simpson accurately decide on the amount of hair to be used for each model of brush assuming that the Chubby/Polo models are the dearest because they are so densely packed and the other smaller models less so?

Was the density of each model predetermined by weight of hair or did the brush maker just use his own skill and judgement every time?

Thanks for your time.

We used to weigh the hair when making the knots - knowing the amount needed for each brush type. There was a ceratin element of experience and judgement though. Of course initially there were a few 'trial runs' for each new style.

Back
Top Bottom