Simpson Brushes

Both my dad and I do have quite a collection of the old brushes so every so often one of the collection comes out! We also both have a couple of silver handled brushes which were designed for us. Dad had his for his 40th birthday and I mine for my 18th. 2 unique Simpson brushes in their own rights!

You mentioned in a previous answer why Simpson didn't adopt new plastics, do you think in the end that continuing to use Victorian water mill technology was another contributing factor in having to sell up? As quaint as it may be looking back, was it literally a mill stone around the neck of the business?

Ids said:
Any chance of a picture of the Pewter one? Would that of been turned on a lathe or made an otherday because of the material?

I will get some photos over the next few days to show on here. The silver handle was made by a local silversmith - we used to use him for hairbrush repairs when we had silver backed brushes sent in by clients for new 'pads' to be made.

antdad said:
You mentioned in a previous answer why Simpson didn't adopt new plastics, do you think in the end that continuing to use Victorian water mill technology was another contributing factor in having to sell up? As quaint as it may be looking back, was it literally a mill stone around the neck of the business?

No it wasn't one of the factors. If anything it was a major selling point for the US market! Remember that Coate's had been using the water wheel to power equipment for many years before Simpsons moved into the mill, so the set up may have seemed antiquated but years of experience had honed the production processes.

Rev-O said:
Gary, we need PICTURES.

Lots of them.

Soon.

Thanks.

We also need to know your home address and when you will not be there.

I will get some organised over the next few days-at the moment my actual career is taking up a lot of time so please bear with me!
Remember I am a country boy, Somerset born, so if you do turn up at the house when we are away expect to find man traps, etc, etc
:)

I am sure you will!

I have one of Roberts 'Coate's' brushes arriving tomorrow. Since we owned both companies (Simpsons & Coate's) I can't wait to try it out! Even with a 'back catalogue' of original Simpsons new brushes excite me still!

Gary, nice to see you back playing ball here - we do play quite hard, but we bear no grudges. We're not girls, you know.
;)

If you want to ignore or re-direct a question that's fine - what looks like a low ball is, in fact, a low opening offer and we expect you to haggle; it's nothing personal. Feel free to play hard ball back. But we won't be as sycophantic as Bader & Blade (who all want to be "Olde English Gentlemen" - all Oscar Wilde, Monty Python, MG Sportscars and whatnot - until they chucked us out for being the real thing. A bit too much "Carry On" and not enough "Dulce Et Decorum" :lol: As if we spend all day in the Drones Club, popping over to Trumpers for a shave.)

And what was that about a "career"? This is your job now, boy, we need you on-call 24/7 to answer all our random queries. They often come to us at odd times (usually in the wee small hours of the morning) so we might get a bell system installed (as per "Upstairs, Downstairs" or "Downton Abbey").

That'll be all for now, thank-you.

Guys

I am going off on a tangent now! Now I know this is a shaving forum but I am going to post a few photos of one of my original Coate's hair brushes - one that didn't get included in Robert Johnston's inventory! It is an ivory (yes I know it's not PC, but REAL ivory) club brush - actually made with my own fair hands during my teenage years. All 'hand drawn' bristles and 'pegged' with ebony pegs. Just a taster of the 'Real McCoy' brushes, both Simpsons and Coate's, that the family still proudly own. I will post some pics of the shaving brush family as soon as I can. (Will start an new thread ofr the hairbrush so as not to offend you shaving 'experts'!)

Back
Top Bottom