Show off your TSR 2016 LE Shavemac brushes

Jamie definitely enabled me to reach out to Bernd and order a 2band silvertip in his handle configuration. I'm loving that brush :)

For the straights Nishy, I used them exclusively for many years...long before I ever discovered online forums...then gave up cold turkey when I walked into my washroom one morning to find my 2 year old had climbed atop my counter and managed to reach my display shelf where I kept my straights. I sold my entire rotation and switched to DE's...no regrets :)

Jamie definitely enabled me to reach out to Bernd and order a 2band silvertip in his handle configuration. I'm loving that brush :)

For the straights Nishy, I used them exclusively for many years...long before I ever discovered online forums...then gave up cold turkey when I walked into my washroom one morning to find my 2 year old had climbed atop my counter and managed to reach my display shelf where I kept my straights. I sold my entire rotation and switched to DE's...no regrets :)
Wow hope the little one was ok! I am currently thinking of switching to DE as well the new stainless options on the market have made me neglect my straights, I seem to get a very similar shave.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wow hope the little one was ok! I am currently thinking of switching to DE as well the new stainless options on the market have made me neglect my straights, I seem to get a very similar shave.

Thanks Nishy, she grabbed it just when I walked in. We were lucky. Since then I've been experimenting with different DE's, as in all things in life, it's a compromise. I've never seriously given SE's a shot so waiting for some decent offerings before I venture in that direction. Till then, I'll play around with badgers :)

Thanks Nishy, she grabbed it just when I walked in. We were lucky. Since then I've been experimenting with different DE's, as in all things in life, it's a compromise. I've never seriously given SE's a shot so waiting for some decent offerings before I venture in that direction. Till then, I'll play around with badgers :)
Hey Sameer the new stainless DE razors are excellent, very low tolerances and hefty in the hand. As a straight razor user, you appreciate the aggressiveness of each steel/grind/weight a lot more, perhaps due to absence of a safety bar. I never thought I would get as close or smooth a shave than with my Japanese straights, however, I have and with a few DE razors which was a nice surprise.

Well, I've had a few more shaves using hard soap and the brush is noticeably softer at the tips, the scritch has reduced a fair bit. Like Nishy said, I'm hoping that with continued usage it will fade away completely. That said, the backbone and density are outstanding! I love the wall of badger feel I get with it, and it picks up soap like a monster.

It's getting me curious about the Simpson Chubby 2 now.

12th shave today and the scritch has reduced substantially. I now only get a prickly feeling if pushing the brush hard to my face and using circular motions. I still am of the opinion the the Xmas LE feels better on the face than this LE for now.

Interesting posts regarding how a brush's face feel can change with use. I've been using a shaving brush (not the same one) for 50 years and I've not noticed any discernible change in face feel with use, be they badger, boar or horse. Currently, I own 31 brushes and they all feel essentially the same as the first time I used them; the only change being the bloom.

Interesting posts regarding how a brush's face feel can change with use. I've been using a shaving brush (not the same one) for 50 years and I've not noticed any discernible change in face feel with use, be they badger, boar or horse. Currently, I own 31 brushes and they all feel essentially the same as the first time I used them; the only change being the bloom.
That is strange Rufus. I find with most brushes, once the ends split you have more of a cloud feel to the tips. If when soaked the tips clump similar to a hexagonal structure I get more of a gel tipped feel. Once fully bloomed, I seem to get a softer tip contact feel IMO. I also get a different feel depending on the lather obviously.

In my experience I found D01 to need at least 20-30 uses for the knot to relax. These knots have been tied with a fair bit of glue to give them that trademark D01 feel (dense with a strong backbone). Once the knot relaxes it doesn't change much, if at all.

In my experience I found D01 to need at least 20-30 uses for the knot to relax. These knots have been tied with a fair bit of glue to give them that trademark D01 feel (dense with a strong backbone). Once the knot relaxes it doesn't change much, if at all.

This is what I'm finding, no scritch but the knot is relaxing now, whereas it was quite harsh when new. Harder circular motions feel scrubby but I'm only really using the tips, which are indeed very soft now.

There was a vast improvement in today's shave. Didn't see it coming but I noticed a big difference in the flow-through. The really dense knot hadn't wanted to give the lather up too easily before, cantering along nicely but now it's really settling into a gallop.
What a brush! I could kick myself for not getting it sooner. Humble pie tastes good though!

Back
Top Bottom