Shaving too complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy

Whilst reading all the interesting posts, I wondered if some make wet shaving sound too complicated and put off those who may wonder if it is for them? All the different blades, soaps and do I need a dozen different creams! Face lather or bowl, hot or warm water? Breaking in a brushEtc etc!! I think if I had read the forum topics before I started wet shaving, I would have been so confused, I'd have kept my electric shaver!

Whilst reading all the interesting posts, I wondered if some make wet shaving sound too complicated and put off those who may wonder if it is for them? All the different blades, soaps and do I need a dozen different creams! Face lather or bowl, hot or warm water? Breaking in a brushEtc etc!! I think if I had read the forum topics before I started wet shaving, I would have been so confused, I'd have kept my electric shaver!
So what is the alternative Roy? It's no good only giving someone half the information in the hope that they may stumble across the correct or just a better way of getting a better shave.
Are you not pleased with all the information that has been freely given to you?
I will be interested to hear how you think we can pass on sometimes hard earned information to the new shavers who have not so much experience. P.

Last edited:
You are not wrong and I think it is normal for someone who is new to this to feel that way. Here for most members wetshaving is a Hobby, hence we have lots of different types of creams, soaps, razors, blades, aftershaves, brushes and discuss different techniques and all that. For a starter(newbie) and/or for someone wants a change from electric or cartridge shaving but keep it simple, can be done by one brush, one razor one cream or soap. But this is such a strange thing so that you will start wanting to try different products.

To start with: Get an easy razor (Merkur34C or EJ89), Astra SP blades, one decent cream (easier than hard soaps), bowl lather (again - easier), hot water, a cheap synthetic brush (won't need breaking in), witch hazel. Stick with that until you're happy. If you're not getting good results it's not the hardware/software - it's bad technique. Learn and improve. Once that's sorted: experiment to your heart's content. You might end up using (almost) none of the above - like me - but it's a good start.
Simples.

Yes, all info useful, but i think newbies may think they may need to have more soft and hardware than you need to enjoy shaving! Start simple and then after a bit, experiment with different razors and soaps etc.
I think that's exactly the kind of advice offered to those who ask for it, keep to one razor, one brand of blade and one soap / cream untill you have the hang of it and then if you wish to go ahead and try another razor soap ect....am I wrong? P.

I think @riverrun gave the best short advice that one could give to someone. Use an "easy kit". However, i think "knowledge is power". If i hadn't read extensively everything i could, i would have had much worse results. I think that the razor choice and building a proper lather are the most crucial points. And without external knowledge you may have disheartening results. In my local Amazon for instance, i have seen 1 star reviews of Weishi or DE89, from people saying "this razor tore my face up". I mean, if you manage to tear your face up with Weishi, you are doing something terribly, terribly wrong. These are probably guys that didn't ask anyone for "how the job is done".

I think that the information found googling in shaving forums is invaluable, for whoever wants to have bloodless shaves without too many problems. I strongly believe that if you know well how things work in theory, then the practice will be much easier. I have passed through all the common lather problems, like "lather dissipating from my face", "my lather isn't thick enough to hide my skin", "my boar's lather seems good at 1st pass, but becomes pityful by the start of the 3rd pass" and have solved them one after the other, thanks to reading "wetshaving theory".

This said, not all people want to learn theory. My own brother, has never read a single instructions manual in his life. I have read every instructions manual i have ever found, even for the most obvious device. I think there is more than what meets the eye in wetshaving. Some gear doesn't work as good for everyone, but, frankly, after 8 months and while still learning new things in here, i pride myself for having being able to get bloodless BBS with more than 15 blades and have had trouble with only 1 (BIC) and i keep a large rotation of wildly different blades with equally good results. And i think this would have never been possible, had i not read and read and read about wetshaving from veterans. That and sticking with 2 "easy" razors that work very well for me.

As with most things, i think there is "a short road" and a "longer road". Both might work. But, it is more likely that most problems will come with the short road. At the end, nobody is really forcing someone to learn everything. But nobody ever lost by knowing more. That's what i think.

I think @riverrun gave the best short advice that one could give to someone. Use an "easy kit". However, i think "knowledge is power". If i hadn't read extensively everything i could, i would have had much worse results. I think that the razor choice and building a proper lather are the most crucial points. And without external knowledge you may have disheartening results. In my local Amazon for instance, i have seen 1 star reviews of Weishi or DE89, from people saying "this razor tore my face up". I mean, if you manage to tear your face up with Weishi, you are doing something terribly, terribly wrong. These are probably guys that didn't ask anyone for "how the job is done".

I think that the information found googling in shaving forums is invaluable, for whoever wants to have bloodless shaves without too many problems. I strongly believe that if you know well how things work in theory, then the practice will be much easier. I have passed through all the common lather problems, like "lather dissipating from my face", "my lather isn't thick enough to hide my skin", "my boar's lather seems good at 1st pass, but becomes pityful by the start of the 3rd pass" and have solved them one after the other, thanks to reading "wetshaving theory".

This said, not all people want to learn theory. My own brother, has never read a single instructions manual in his life. I have read every instructions manual i have ever found, even for the most obvious device. I think there is more than what meets the eye in wetshaving. Some gear doesn't work as good for everyone, but, frankly, after 8 months and while still learning new things in here, i pride myself for having being able to get bloodless BBS with more than 15 blades and have had trouble with only 1 (BIC) and i keep a large rotation of wildly different blades with equally good results. And i think this would have never been possible, had i not read and read and read about wetshaving from veterans. That and sticking with 2 "easy" razors that work very well for me.

As with most things, i think there is "a short road" and a "longer road". Both might work. But, it is more likely that most problems will come with the short road. At the end, nobody is really forcing someone to learn everything. But nobody ever lost by knowing more. That's what i think.

Well said!

I will just add two "real stories", taken from 1 star EJ DE89 reviews from the italian Amazon:

1) "Impossible to use for delicate skin!
So beatiful to keep as decorative object. 229 positive reviews and not one mentioning that you need to have a leather skin to be able to use it! If you are one of these, go ahead and use it! I have been shaving for 28 years... I will list the problems for those with delicate skin like me:
- Even if you use it slowly, you cut yourself. Which means loss of time trying to stop the bleeding and waiting for the blood to coagulate.
- Even if i pay attention to the irregularities of my face's profile, my face gets red and irritated.
- Obbligatory to do at least 2 passes, WTG and ATG with double lathering up!

2) Careful about the nicks! Shame on you!
The razor is dangerous even during the most mundane passes. Moreover, it lacks lateral blade guards, because of which, i have had a very deep cut, that has ruined my face! Shame on you!

:confused::eek:o_O

I think that's exactly the kind of advice offered to those who ask for it, keep to one razor, one brand of blade and one soap / cream untill you have the hang of it and then if you wish to go ahead and try another razor soap ect....am I wrong? P.

ictSJke.jpg

Yup...the information is there, if we want it. For me, I've learned and continue to learn so much. Far beyond that which I would have by my own experience. Admittedly, it has cost more; but I enjoy that too.

That's what I though; I was given similar information way back when, and I've tried to do much the same for others since. I agree that many members have huge collections of all sorts of shaving gear, and I do think that some of the newer members seem to want to outdo each other in terms of who is the first to buy some new hideously-overpriced stainless steel razors that are probably no better than a Merkur or EJ (or vintage Gillette), but I'd like to think that newcomers would have the sense to browse the Help section first where they'll find that it need not be that complicated or expensive.

That's what I though; I was given similar information way back when, and I've tried to do much the same for others since. I agree that many members have huge collections of all sorts of shaving gear, and I do think that some of the newer members seem to want to outdo each other in terms of who is the first to buy some new hideously-overpriced stainless steel razors that are probably no better than a Merkur or EJ (or vintage Gillette), but I'd like to think that newcomers would have the sense to browse the Help section first where they'll find that it need not be that complicated or expensive.

I agree. In particular where you mention "collection". When it becomes collection, it goes way beyond wetshaving anymore. It becomes just like any other collection, where it is a constant, endless hunt for the next "prize". I also agree that you don't need to chase the expensive gear, thinking that you will have some miraculous result.

Personally, i do have developed a fear about zamak, because of the many reports i 've read in Amazon. A guy in the italian Amazon has photo of his 2 EJ DE89 that had the threaded pin break in 2 different razors, 6 months one after the other. Both at the same place. I ended up buying 3 EJ DE89 because of that and 4 Weishis, because of doubts about the TTO mechanism breaking. If i add the money spent, i could have easily bought the Muhle Rocca or the Rockwell 6S. That's my only thought until now, where i could justify spending 100 EUR for a razor.

On the other hand, maybe because i use mild razors, maybe because i am just lucky, i really can't see all this difference or importance in soaps. I 've used TOBS. Yes, it was slicker than Proraso. But, preshave cream + Proraso = slicker than TOBS. I also ended up tossing TOBS because of the scent. Proraso cream = 1,95 EUR. TOBS =12-15 EUR. I also get great results with Nivea and Arko Maximum Comfort. I get 99% of times bloodless and irritation-free BBS. I think soaps' magical properties are overhyped. Even the cheapest of soaps give enough glide to shave with no problems. And i still haven't tried Proraso Red (or Green), which is supposed to be slicker than white and blue.

Very true, it's just like learning to drive, you will learn in the same vehicle, lesson after lesson until you get good enough to pass your test. Even then you have only mastered the basics and you will still be learning with every new car or razor set up and one day you will find what you like be it SE razor's or straight razor's and start learning all over again with the basics of wet shaving to back you up. It's not a thing you can rush, not if you want to be good at it. You will know when you have reached that point, when shave after shave after shave is a good one but even then you can't take short cuts because that will be the day you have a bad shave....... Not enough Prep, poor lather, a rushed shave will show in the quality of shave and finnish you get but before all of this everyone needs to stick to good basic kit and practice. P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom