Shaving creams

First shave this morning. A very nice product, I'm still new to this so can only compare it to the few creams and soaps I have tried.

Did its job, was pretty slick and lathered up well. Only needs a little product to go a long way.

The post shave was fine, my face did not feel greasy or anything. A little drying perhaps but that is probably down to my skin type. In terms of adverse affects I have not had any yet. I do not see any irritation nor breakouts.

In terms of the scent it has grown in me, but I still think it needs to be dialed down a bit. I still think it smells floral which has me torn a bit. It does pair well with the RazoRock Dead Sea Aftershave though.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

Also used it again this morning, I'm sticking with my initial observations... The only thing I'm not not sure on is the scent, whilst some others weren't sure but it's grown on them I've found it a bit tiresome. Scents are very subjective so not a criticism of the product just an issue for me.

Also used it again this morning, I'm sticking with my initial observations... The only thing I'm not not sure on is the scent, whilst some others weren't sure but it's grown on them I've found it a bit tiresome. Scents are very subjective so not a criticism of the product just an issue for me.
Same for me, the scent is growing on me but I do not think I would go and buy the cream for the scent. I would probably look to a different scent.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

Picked my cream up this morning and tried it straight away. Lovely little tub and ideal for a travel set as well as home use. The fragrance, sandalwood is near non-existent , though during lathering does come out. Used a scuttle and the cream was applied in a pea size about to the centre of my muhle synthetic. lathered up really quickly and needed no added water to bring a full plume of lather up. Painted on really well and did not dry out. Shaver went through the foam easily and added good slickness. My skin felt nice after and no tightness or sheen. Again the fragrance failed quickly after the shave. This is my only criticism of the cream is the fragrance needs to be heavier and in my opinion for sandalwood needs more aromas of woody notes. Will continue using and offer more feedback with use.

Used Limes for the first time this morning. When I received the package and opened it up my first thought was "wow, that's small" but having used it I think 100ml is an appropriate amount considering the masses of lather a small blob yields.
I love the scent from the pot, I get grapefruit mainly but when lathering the lime really comes through and then the grapefruit seemed to return once finished and cleaned up.

I found it burst into tonnes of lather almost immediately but found it a little sticky on the first pass, probably because I didn't add enough water as subsequent passes were nice and slick. I found the cushion and protection to be good but not exceptional which is ok as it did the job.

Post shave my face felt neither dried nor moisturised which is totally fine because I like to use a balm anyway and my face tends to get a bit oily with some of the waxier/oilier soaps.

I think that this cream is a good performer, not amazing, but still plenty good enough. Where it comes into it's own is the scent and latherability. The scent is sub-lime (see what I did there? :p ) and it lathers so easily with such a small amount of product. I'd say that going by my first experience that this cream is as good or better than TOBS in terms of performance with the added bonus of an amazing, fresh scent.

Thanks to all involved at Traditional Shaving!

22550587_10155182987143722_904489670_o.jpg 22522111_10155182989093722_1819187738_o.jpg

I bowl lathered Lime scented version today using a YaQi Cashmere brush. Here's my initial thoughts:

Lathering - Would lather itself probably - 5/5
Scent - An initial hit of lime and grapefruit which mellows out. Medium strength - 4/5
Glide - Certainly very slick for a cream - 4.5/5
Cushion - Felt a little lacking. A couple of weapers, although I was rushing - 2.5/5
Post Shave - A little balm needed, but certainly not drying - 3.5/5

I will finalise the above after another shave. Probably trying a little less water to see if there is potentially more cushion

bc8e7be23d93eb65abdac440d13d3322.jpg

Last edited:
I bowl lathered Lime scented version today using a YaQi Cashmere brush. Here's my initial thoughts:

Lathering - Would lather itself probably - 5/5
Scent - An initial hit of lime and grapefruit which mellows out. Medium strength - 4/5
Glide - Certainly very slick for a cream - 4.5/5
Cushion - Felt a little lacking. A couple of weapers, although I was rushing - 2.5/5
Post Shave - A little balm needed, but certainly not drying - 3.5/5

I will finalise the above after another shave. Probably trying a little less water to see if there is potentially more cushion

bc8e7be23d93eb65abdac440d13d3322.jpg
Yes that looks like it has a bit too much water in. Try it with a bit less and it should be a bit slicker with more cushion.

Had my second shave with the lime cream today but face lathered with synthetic brush as opposed to bowl lathering a boar brush last time.

No issues with the lathering, scent, glide or cushioning but still little in the way of residual slickness, but it was better than it was the previous shave. I was a bit heavy handed with the brush while loading and had leftovers in the brush following a four pass shave (WTG, 2 x A(cross)TG and an ATG passes) and the scent remained post shave.

@traditionalshaving i used the Limes cream this evening for the first time and have posted in SOTD, first impression is it's a good cream nice and slick and cushiony, maybe not as slick as some of the higher ends I use but it was supposed to be compared to tobs or similar, the only tobs I've used is the Jermyn Street if there is any difference it's very slight but I will keep giving it a go ! I have sensitive skin and suffer from acne, sometimes I get the slightest tingle from tobs but nothing to worry about, this cream was no different in that respect either. Overall a good cream, I did read the comments made on packaging and although I can see where you are coming from using packaging that is robust I also have to agree that it's not the most aesthetically pleasing but that's just my opinion everybody is different in what they look for when buying a soap, thanks for the opportunity to try it and I will use it a bit more before posting my review on amazon !

@traditionalshaving , have put review on Amazon yesterday. I've rated the cream at 4 as confirmed that I received it free of charge.
The variant I received was sensitive, so these remarke are specific to that variety. The cream arrived well packed in its airtight container, which is small and convenient enough to be suitable for a travel washbag. The scent has been well dialled down, as you would expect for a cream which will likely be bought by shavers concerned about skin sensitivity. The mild fragrance is just a vague 'clean' smell, maybe similar to ironing a linen shirt with a steam iron. Just a pleasant aroma which gets no stronger in usage and leaves no scent on the face after shaving. Just a small drop on a wet brush gives a veritable explosion of shiny, slick lather when face lathering ... there are no probs in working a lather up with this cream ! I've used this with my Supply SE and also with a Gillette twin blade cart, 'cause I know we do have cart users here. The cream is slick and protective, but not as dense as a top line soap would be. After rinsing it left my face feeling fine with no burn or irritation. Though not having the almost moisturised feel I would get with Nanny, OSP, P&B or Wickhams, which are my benchmarks for skin satisfaction.
All in all I'd rate this as a very good cream, especially, given the ease of lathering, for anyone transitioning from canned gel or foam to using a brush. It won't clog up a cart and the addition if aloe vera does, I'm sure, aid in the soothing aftershave experience.
Thanks to Matthew for the complimentary cream.

JohnnyO. o/

Finally received mine.
And i cought a cold. My nose is not working. Damn it.
Will post the review on amazon and here as soon as i can.
Thank you for the opportunity once again!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Since the Sensitive is probably aimed at those of us with more problematic and possibly reactive skins I'd say the fragrance with it is about the correct level Matthew. The soap has a mild clean linen type scent which is mild enough to avoid causing skin reactions whilst still being unobtrusively pleasant. Obviously this variant is aimed at a slightly different shaver from the other creams.

JohnnyO. o/

I agree with regards to the sensitive cream.

Back
Top Bottom