Shaving Acquisitions April

With a wee drop Birthday money (I think Matron robbed the ward's petty cash tin), I treated myself to a 400ml bottle of Proraso Red AS and managed to track down a black atomiser for it. I know some hate shea butter but it likes me and I like it plus there's not too much in this princely potion. The Sandalwood scent for me is fantastic - way better than TOBs. For an AS the scent lasts really well on me at least. Eee, peasants like me are oh so easily pleased... ;) :LOL:

Last edited:
Well, my ship finally came in. A big thank you to my good shave bud here on the forum whom I will not name out of secrecy. :censored: ;)

YeOgPJw.jpg

Last edited:
With a wee drop Birthday money (I think Matron robbed the ward's petty cash tin), I treated myself to a 400ml bottle of Proraso Red AS and managed to track down a black atomiser for it. I know some hate shea butter but it likes me and I like it plus there's not too much in this princely potion. The Sandalwood scent for me is fantastic - way better than TOBs. For an AS the scent lasts really well on me at least. Eee, peasants like me are oh so easily pleased... ;) :LOL:
It’s great aftershave.

Hiya,

Found this yesterday for $12 which was a nice surprise. Great shape with the date starting with 'A' so it's really old.
You’re very, very lucky. Someone may correct me here, but that may be a slightly rare Gillette ABC razor. If it is, do an online search, find out the going prices, and pour yourself something celebratory.

Well done!!!

You’re very, very lucky. Someone may correct me here, but that may be a slightly rare Gillette ABC razor. If it is, do an online search, find out the going prices, and pour yourself something celebratory.

Well done!!!

Hey thanks,

Found it in an out of the way antique store. This looks to be dated 1909 which is amazing considering the condition. The place also had some nice automatic knives from Italy and Germany, which I reluctantly passed on.

Martin

Major score of the year if that is an ABC!
Hiya doin G,

You and Scotshave are correct about the model. Heh, normally I don't shave with any Old Types and those teeth look especially vampirish and would probably be leaving drops of blood on it's travels over my face. Purty handle though.

My memory's pretty shot but I recalled a similar looking handle with a just ok head, totally black from tarnishing. Dug around the arsenal a while and found it sitting inna Tech box for some reason. This head was undated which might make it even older.

Silver plating cleans up very well using a good polish but this thing woulda taken a while to clean that way. So the aluminum foil, baking soda, and very hot water immersion bath did the trick nicely. Took maybe 3 treatments replacing the soda and water each time when the bubbles stopped. Works fine as the pics will show. The dark line is just a reflection and the handle's in very nice shape.

Attachments

• 20230425_080408.jpg
    20230425_080408.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230425_082718.jpg
    20230425_082718.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 15
Hiya doin G,

You and Scotshave are correct about the model. Heh, normally I don't shave with any Old Types and those teeth look especially vampirish and would probably be leaving drops of blood on it's travels over my face. Purty handle though.

My memory's pretty shot but I recalled a similar looking handle with a just ok head, totally black from tarnishing. Dug around the arsenal a while and found it sitting inna Tech box for some reason. This head was undated which might make it even older.

Silver plating cleans up very well using a good polish but this thing woulda taken a while to clean that way. So the aluminum foil, baking soda, and very hot water immersion bath did the trick nicely. Took maybe 3 treatments replacing the soda and water each time when the bubbles stopped. Works fine as the pics will show. The dark line is just a reflection and the handle's in very nice shape.
I have one, not with so much silver plate remaining however it gives quite a pleasant shave and should not leave you needing a transfusion! :)

Paul.

Silver plating cleans up very well using a good polish but this thing woulda taken a while to clean that way. So the aluminum foil, baking soda, and very hot water immersion bath did the trick nicely. Took maybe 3 treatments replacing the soda and water each time when the bubbles stopped.
Can you give a little more detail? Do you wrap the razor in the foil? Does this method clean Stainless Steel? Bicarb - how much - a teaspoonful? Thanks.

Can you give a little more detail? Do you wrap the razor in the foil? Does this method clean Stainless Steel? Bicarb - how much - a teaspoonful? Thanks.

Hi there,

Line a small container with the foil ( I used the shiny side exposed rather than the dull, but not positive that's correct). Add maybe 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda and put the items in. Boiling water should be fine to add most of the time and let sit till the bubbles stop...about 5 minutes. I forget the chemical reaction that occurs when this mix is activated. Use water with a lower than boiling temp for razors with 'sleeves' on the handles that crack easily. Thin and maybe not tolerating extreme heat like a solid razor. used.

Multiple times will be needed and what also helps is a toothbrush or cloth loaded with a thick paste from the residue. That toothbrush method's also a good cleaner for gold plated Gillettes since it doesn't remove the plating.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom