Shaving Acquisitions April

Very nice. For some reason, the PAL razors, of which I have a few, were more frequently found with box, instructions and cardboard sleeve or box, than the Schicks.
Yes it's always nice to find a razor complete with inner and outer box along with instructions.
One of my Roll's Razors had all of that and also a letter from Rolls to the gentleman who purchased it back in the 30s. It was the stainless steel case version, I passed it on to one of our great member's and I'm sure he is enjoying it form time to time.

Paul.

Yes it's always nice to find a razor complete with inner and outer box along with instructions.
One of my Roll's Razors had all of that and also a letter from Rolls to the gentleman who purchased it back in the 30s. It was the stainless steel case version, I passed it on to one of our great member's and I'm sure he is enjoying it form time to time.

One of my Rolls purchases also had said letter. That is a really nice touch from a company, perhaps more commonplace back then. Maybe modern makers might pick up on this as a nice touch for future legacy.

I also liked reading the names of the places you could get service if you found yourself in, say, Abyssinia and needed something or other you could pop into Hussain & Son on King George Road. It's this sort of historical artefact that tells us so much about life under the British Empire at the time that is all lost once this sort of stuff is consigned to the dump; that detail (okay, made up ... but in line with actual examples) being that a pre-partition presumably Muslim Indian would keep a shop in Africa.

I digress ... but find the period booklets and so on quite fascinating.

After three years, a new batch.

Wet Shavers Delight
Mithra 2023

V3 Shave Soap | After Shave Lotion | EDP Vapo

P3ueDDa.jpg

20230419_184523.jpg

Van Cleef Ambre Imperial.

I really wanted an Amber based perfume and tried a number of scents before I chose this particular one. The YSL M7 came close but it was all a bit heavy duty and like being hit with the scent equivalent of a sledge hammer. The VC was far lighter and fresh. Something I could wear all day and night and not just in in a darkened room all alone

View attachment 104325

Van Cleef Ambre Imperial.

I really wanted an Amber based perfume and tried a number of scents before I chose this particular one. The YSL M7 came close but it was all a bit heavy duty and like being hit with the scent equivalent of a sledge hammer. The VC was far lighter and fresh. Something I could wear all day and night and not just in in a darkened room all alone
M7 does not fuck about. It projects more than a…projecting thing that projects.

One of my Rolls purchases also had said letter. That is a really nice touch from a company, perhaps more commonplace back then. Maybe modern makers might pick up on this as a nice touch for future legacy.

I also liked reading the names of the places you could get service if you found yourself in, say, Abyssinia and needed something or other you could pop into Hussain & Son on King George Road. It's this sort of historical artefact that tells us so much about life under the British Empire at the time that is all lost once this sort of stuff is consigned to the dump; that detail (okay, made up ... but in line with actual examples) being that a pre-partition presumably Muslim Indian would keep a shop in Africa.

I digress ... but find the period booklets and so on quite fascinating.
Indeed, it was a very nice touch one that has sadly fallen by the roadside.
I believe the letter was dated 1935 and it was a joy to read and as you quite rightly say modern razor manufacturer's could pick up on this which would make buying a razor a little more special, a time when nothing was too much trouble and the customer was made to feel valued.
Sadly most of the time all you receive is just the razor and maybe a couple of Sweet's! I've never understood this, a free box of blades ok but sweets! :)

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom