Closed Shavette Pass Around

MarkDifferential said:
shanky887614 said:
is it the blade gap thats the problem?

if so send i can send you my cjb razor on loan if you like, it can take the feather pro guard blades

what do you say?

either western style or Japanese style.

(might have to wait a couple weeks while i order my new one in, gives you time to mull it over)

Hi, I don't think it's the blade gap because I didn't put one in. From what I can gather, there's normally a millimetre or two that pokes out from the the holder?

It was the angle of the thing and holding it and imagining what would happen if that practice actually had a blade in it. Maybe I'll give it another go.

lather up and run it over your face a couple times without a blade in it, this will boost your confidence

OK, good and bad but overall, not bad.

The biggest thing I had to conquer was thinking I was going to cut myself to pieces by effectively dragging a naked blade over my face. I did a few strokes of about a centimetre and then after a few tries, got the first little bit out of the way. As my confidence grew I was taking bigger strokes. One thing I will say is don't lather your whole face because by the time I'd finished my right cheek, it'd all dried haha. Anyway, I don't know if you'd say I did two passes because what I did was a small patch here and other patch there; when I felt I'd run out of talent in one area, I went to another and then went back but I did go over my whole face, neck and throat and lathered up for what probably was two passes but the untidiest passes you've seen.

I used half a Derby and probably got the same sort of result (clossness/blood) as when I had my first DE shave and they're good now so there is potential though obviously room for improvement and practice.

Cruciate, it's really not as bad as you think, just remember what you're holding and it will gradually work out. I'll send you the other, unused half of the Derby blade I used though obviously it's up to you whether you want to use it.

If it's true what they say about straights being easier than shavettes, then we're not off to a bad start :)

Well done mate! Theyre not as scary as they look are they? A small patch here and there is all you need to start off with and get a feel for what you are doing. The biggest step is just trying it in the first place. And trust me, if you can handle the shavette you can handle a good straight. Night and day in my opinion!
One suggestion though if I may? Ditch the Derby and chuck an Astra SP in it. If you dont have any give me a shout and I will send you a pack

Daz, this shavette was pass-round but I'll probably end up buying one. I don't have any Astras of any sort so when the time comes I'll come knocking, I appreciate the offer!

It certainly was a bit tricky but more to do with what I was doing rather than what I was doing it with. I see no reason why I can't get results with a shavette/straight in the same park as I'm getting with DE.

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

cruciate said:
Hold on to it for another week or two. I'm in no hurry. Keep practising!

It's already on its way mate, posted it about an hour ago! ;-)

daz said:
send me your address by pm, I have a shavette here you can have, will also send you a few blades to try. Unless of course you have had enough of the silly shavette?

Daz, I was going to call it a day, what with having passed the BBR on but to pass up such a nice offer would be rather rude so I will graciously take you up on it. If one of these Vs a straight really is night-and-day, then I'll be ahead of the game when it comes to Christmas presents ;-)

PM on its way. Many thanks! :icon_razz:

mr..bean said:
Can I get in on this please? I was thunking about it and was going to buy a BBR one, they are only about a tenner but would like to try first please?

Thanks

I sent Dobbo's BBR off to Crutiate this morning. He's the man you'll need to ask :)

MarkDifferential said:
Daz, I was going to call it a day, what with having passed the BBR on but to pass up such a nice offer would be rather rude so I will graciously take you up on it. If one of these Vs a straight really is night-and-day, then I'll be ahead of the game when it comes to Christmas presents ;-)

PM on its way. Many thanks! :icon_razz:

Trust me, if you can get the hang of these things and like them then you will LOVE a straight. Just caw canny with it and don't sue me, or send me invoices for paper stitches and superglue :) If it turns out you just don't get along just PIF it in here for other forum members to slice n dice themselves.

No problem Daz, I'll sue the maker of the razor, not you ;-)

hehehe, no seriously, I appreciate being able to have a go. I may well pass it on but in the short-term at least, I'm going to keep it and see how it goes.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom