Shave of The Day w/c Saturday 6th February 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday

Evening Straight Practice

Straight - Full Hollow Grind/Schick Injector
Vulfix VS/3
Trumper's Rose Soap
Clinique Post Shave Soother

Seems I'm making progress with the straight at last!

Ian

Monday evening.

Prep. Wash face with glycerine soap.
Razor. EJ Chatsworth/Gillette Swede.
Soap. Arko stick.
Brush. Simpson Colonel Super.
AS. Thayer's Witch Hazel, Proraso balm, Aqua Velva.

Great shave.

Hawkeye5 said:
While many straight shavers use only the dominent hand, I use both left and right as I'm not a contortionist.

Try a proper straight using both hands, but please understand that there is a rather prolonged learning process.

I would recommend trying the DE with left hand first, unless this is already the case. No matter what razor you are using being able to use both hands is very handy. Having said that my left hand came on leaps and bounds when it was holding a freshly honed straight.

Tuesday:
Razor: Gillette HD Rocket (aluminum handle)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (UK)
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Palmolive Stick
Aftershave: Old Spice

Nothing wrong with any of the above, but might swap the HD Rocket for my Edwin Jagger DE87.

Proinsias said:
I would recommend trying the DE with left hand first, unless this is already the case. No matter what razor you are using being able to use both hands is very handy. Having said that my left hand came on leaps and bounds when it was holding a freshly honed straight.
One tip I read on SRP was to brush your teeth with your left hand... feels very unnatural at first but after a few days it trains your left hand to actually do stuff and it certainly improved my feeling of the razor with the left hand.

Anyway

Tuesday
Gillette SuperSpeed
Astra Platinum (2)
Kent BK8
DR Harris Arlington
Aqua Velva

As it was so cold I had an extra 15 mins in bed so was in a rush. Astras seem a bit more keen and so go well in the milder SuperSpeed - and its a winning combo for me. Very nice shave in about 7 mins.

Tuesday

Merkur 11c HD/OC
Astra Superior (2)
Wilkinson Sword Bristle
Tabac Stick

Proraso AS
Proraso ASB

Whilst fergling around in my stash, last night, I found my old Wilky brush and thought aha (as you do)! It is like shaving with a yard broom and loses bristles for England but it does do nostalgia well. Extremely firm action, merely passable at retaining soap. Risking charges of shaving treachery I must say that I do rather like the handle shape and size.

Needs a Fido brush review, simply for reference, perhaps?

An ok shave, concentrating too much on the brush work I think.

Still, mustn't grumble!

:)

Tuesday

Schick Injector
Personna Injector Blade
Vufix VS/3
L'Occitane Cade Soap
L'Occitane Cade asb

Again, a quick tidy up before work, as I'll be using a straight tonight.

Ian

Monday Evening

Dovo Shavette
Half an Indian Laser Ultra (2)
Vulfix Pure
Hair conditioner
T&H pre-shave oil
MWF
Sensor Excel
Alum
Proraso balm

Once bitten, twice as foolhardy. Felt compelled to give the shavette another bash, even though its debut (or rather my handling of it) was grim.

Right side of face: Good, smooth and trouble-free.
Moving on to left side of chops: Taking on board Hawkeye's advice, I used the shavette in my left hand. Very strange sensation. This pass was markedly slower and less sure. No nicks, though.
Neck: A weeper straight off the bat (f*ck). Finished without any more nicks.
Tache: Good and close.
Chin: Maybe the lather had dried up a bit, but it felt as though there wasn't enough slip...another weeper.

I decided to leave it there and, this time, tidy up with the Sensor.

Nowhere near as bad as my first experience, and much less burn (no blade scratches!). But this way of shaving requires a lot of concentration.

Tuesday

Merkur HD
Indian Laser blade
Omega 49
Palmolive soap
Pinaud Clubman a\s

there was a weeks growth to get rid of with this shave and i did a 2 pass WTG and 1 XTG

first time using the Clubman and it's another good drugstore a\s, smells a touch more talcy than Aqua Velva but it works very well skincare wise
scent reminds me of something from the old days :?

hando said:
first time using the Clubman and it's another good drugstore a\s, smells a touch more talcy than Aqua Velva but it works very well skincare wise
scent reminds me of something from the old days :?

It has been (very often) compared to Brut.

I agree.

Gillette Adjustable
Shark Blade
Wilkinson Sword brush
Crabtree and Evelyn Sienna soap

Alum
Nivea ASB

Good shave, had to turn the razor up abit to get a smooth enough shave. The shark blade doesnt seem to give me as much of a close shave.

Yes, Mr. Ape, the off hand is awkward at first. Just does not feel normal at all. You will be surprised how quickly it will come around to do your bidding, even though right now it seems to have a will of it's own. The effort is well worth the result, in my opinion.

No rule against dabbing a bit of fresh lather on the chin. When learning a new task such as this you take more time and the lather can dry.

Wednesday:
Today I used the ancient shaving form 'Hyaku-Hachi-Ho' or 108 steps.

This ancient shaving form, thought to have been lost many generations ago, was taught to a Shinto priest by a ship-wrecked fisherman from China in the early 1700s and is known by only a handful of select shave-jutsu masters.

The complex and eleborate strokes are learned individually and each takes months of training to master.

The whole routine takes a minimum of 25 years to learn and 3 and a half hours to perform but will leave you with the closest shave ever. So close in fact, that you do not need to shave again for a fortnight.

I feel like a new man, and when the stiches are out I'll probably look like a new man too.

:lol: :lol:

Charles Roberts had better watch his back.

Method shaving for dry weather. "Alchemy for beginners" course fees only $1, 000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom