Shave of The Day w/c Saturday 6th February 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
IanM said:
Sunday

Straight/'66 Superspeed+Swede
Vulfix VS/3
Trumper's Rose Soap
Clinique Post Shave Soother

Don't be fooled by the various videos on Youtube; Straight shaving is bloody hard work.

Ian

What has changed this time round for you to be sticking with it, Ian?

joe mcclaine said:
What has changed this time round for you to be sticking with it, Ian?

A few things, Vinny.

I seem to have pulled some extra patience from somewhere. My determination/stubbornness isn't allowing me to be beaten easily this time, and perhaps the biggest boost I have had is the absolutely superb, beyond the call of duty help that I have received from Neil Miller.

I'm still not convinced that I am going to make straight shaving work for me, but I'm not going to stop until I've explored every avenue.

Ian

Saturday Night

Feather Portable head on EJ 87 handle
Indian Wilky (2)
Vulfix Pure
TOBS Almond cream

Second round for this set-up (skipped Friday night's shave). Am now pretty sure it was the Wilky that made Thursday night's shave feel aggressive. Great blade on my face (very close results), but left my neck a bit red.

Got back from training abit tired, so didnt have a straight shave.
Merkur 34HD
Shark blade
Wilkinson Sword brush
Crabtree and Evelyn Sienna soap

Alum
Nivea ASB

Not such a close shave today, not as smooth as i have been having.

Blyth Spirit said:
The 11c / Merkur combo is absoulely terrific (for me - you may hate it) and, for me, on a par with the R41 / Derby set up.
Great shave!
:shave

I currently have the Mühle R89 which I love, and considered the R41. Which do you think is the better, the Mühle oc or Merkur oc, or are the pretty much the same?

Saturday Night/Sunday Morning 3am
A quickie to clean up after a days growth.

Mühle R89 \ Derby (4)
Trumpers pure badger brush
TOBS st James collection SS
Alum
Trumpers Coral Skin food
Trumpers Moisturizer

not BBS, but enough that I felt great to go to bed and not need to shave in the morning

NatJag said:
Blyth Spirit said:
The 11c / Merkur combo is absoulely terrific (for me - you may hate it) and, for me, on a par with the R41 / Derby set up.
Great shave!
:shave

I currently have the Mühle R89 which I love, and considered the R41. Which do you think is the better, the Mühle oc or Merkur oc, or are the pretty much the same?

I like them both very much but the Muhle is a 3 piece and the Merkur a 2. The former seems lighter and the latter like a solid, more robust piece of kit. Probably get the cheapest first (Muhle) to test the OC shaving techniques but you'll end up with both eventually. :lol:

Getting the blade combo is the key.

C&E Nomad Soap
Vulfix 404 Brush
EJ DE89 with Derby Extra blade.
Boots Freshwood ASB
Kouros EDT

It was a delight to go back to the Derby Extra after the trig blade, to be fair the trig was better in the feather popular its just the EJ and Trig combo that was not fun.

A couple of weepers today and a little irritation under the lip as I didn't have quite enough lather on the brush and I'd misses a bit under my bottom lip and thought I might just get away with it just wet and a hint of lather.

Sundyay

Butler 5/8 straight
Kent BK4

DR Harris lavender cream
Alum
Nivea balm
DRH Marlborough cologne

The DRH stuff is courtesy of Paul at the decant club. I was rather impressed by the cream, but the cologne was disappointingly short-lived. Nice shave though.

Monday

Schick Injector Type-L
Personna Injector Blade
Vulfix VS/3
L'Occitane Cade Soap
L'Occitane Cade asb

Just a quick one pass shave with the very mild Injector, as I'll be trying with a straight this evening.

Ian

Monday

Merkur Futur
Astra (1)
Trumpers Pure Badger
Coral Skin food (before and after)
Trumpers Coconut Cream
Alum
Trumpers Moisturiser

Been a while since I've used the futur (recently a Mühle R89) I'm considering selling it. But I have to admit it gave a great shave. Shame the head is slightly large for my face to get under the nose well.

Sunday Evening

Dovo Shavette
Vulfix 404 boardger
Laser Ultra
Palmolive soap-in-a-bowl
Hair conditioner
T&H pre-shave oil
Alum
Proraso balm
More proraso balm

Encouraged by Vic's good results with the shavette, I decided it was time to dust mine off and let it see some action. My watch was obviously wrong.

I prepped like I've never prepped before in an effort to mushify my bristles. Being right-handed, the right-hand side went reasonably well -- it felt quite smooth, and the lightweight aluminium shavette gave off a pleasant cutting sound like my Futur. But the left-hand side was a 'mare: I had to reach across my face (rather than under it as I do with my DE), and a couple of weepers appeared soon after. My confidence was starting to desert me by then, and it showed afterwards: a total of 4 weepers and 4 scratches (didn't even feel those) plus a fair bit of burn. :roll:

FFS. This was with a Shavette. I'd hate to think what state my face would have been in after a scrape with a well-honed straight. Never mind.

Actually, the shave from a straight would have been better, more than likely. Shavettes are light and the DE blades are very sharp.

While many straight shavers use only the dominent hand, I use both left and right as I'm not a contortionist.

Try a proper straight using both hands, but please understand that there is a rather prolonged learning process.

Sunday evening (during half time of the Super Bowl)

Quick shave.

Prep. Wash face with glycerine soap.
Razor. Merkur 1904 w/Cooncatbob handle/Gillette Swede.
Cream. Musgo Real.
Brush. Simpson Colonel Super.
AS. Musgo Real Balm followed by Musgo AS splash.

Musgo cream must be the slickest cream ever. Great shave, even though rushed.

Time for a straight shave today so:
Straight
Wilkinson Sword brush
Palmolive shave stick

Alum
Nivea ASB

Not a bad shave, bit of irritation on the neck but pretty much smooth all over and no need to touch the DE :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom