Thursday 24th August 2017

SOTD 24th Aug.jpg
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Charcoal Face Wash and Proraso Green
Razor: Maggard Open Comb V2 on handle from £5 eBay razor
Blade: Dorco Prime (#2)
Brush: Hans Baier Silver Tip
Cream: Erasmic
AS: Nivea Soothing balm

A close but uncomfortable shave today, I am blaming the Maggard razor head as each time I use it I get the same plus I have used the blade and the cream before with success. I had put the Maggard head away and decided it was time to try it again.

On a plus point the handle was a bargain, I picked up a DE razor on eBay with cheap Zamak head, a pack of Treet blades and a very nice leather DE razor head cover for £5. The listing said the handle was stainless steel, no idea if it is but it is a nice weight. The leather cover I will keep but the Maggard head is not for me.

Razor: Blackbird/Delta Razor Works/Blue
Blade: Personna Super (5)
Brush: Oscar 11, w/Omega 10049 Boar
Soap: Oleo Montrose Beach
A/S: Folsom & Co. Capri

Plan and simple a BBS shave today. Three passes and the lightest of touch ups under the chin. The Oscar 11 tore up the Oleo Montrose Beach soap into an amazing thick rich lather. Finished with Folsom & Co. Capri. After a long but enjoyable day watching the LPGA Canadian Open Golf Championship at the Hunt Club Course the shave was the perfect finish. :)
BLUE THEME:

24 08 17a.jpg

@Boru62 - @Blademonkey and anybody else that might be interested - this is the page of the guy that @Bizzyberry flagged up to me the other night that sold Schick Twin blades - Japanese new stock but shipped from the UK. I got the last two packs but there appears to be another batch available. I have not received mine yet but they were dispatched within 24 hours - so I don't foresee any problems. You can find it here -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/maidrozz/m.html?item=302425522446&hash=item4669f7410e:g:yGYAAOSwWxNYpuk9&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Seller name - maidrozz

Limited stock but appears to have some hard to find Japanese blades and razors posted from the UK.

P. - he sells the Schick Proline blades.

@Barry Giddens - as a new Schick owner? You must try the twin blades? Surely?

Hope this helps - yours - I.

Edit - just picked up a pack of the Feather Soft-Guards - for use in the Cobra and AC razor.

Last edited:
@Boru62 - @Blademonkey and anybody else that might be interested - this is the page of the guy that @Bizzyberry flagged up to me the other night that sold Schick Twin blades - Japanese new stock but shipped from the UK. I got the last two packs but there appears to be another batch available. I have not received mine yet but they were dispatched within 24 hours - so I don't foresee any problems. You can find it here -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/maidrozz/m.html?item=302425522446&hash=item4669f7410e:g:yGYAAOSwWxNYpuk9&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Seller name - maidrozz

Limited stock but appears to have some hard to find Japanese blades and razors posted from the UK.

P. - he sells the Schick Proline blades.

@Barry Giddens - as a new Schick owner? You must try the twin blades? Surely?

Hope this helps - yours - I.

Edit - just picked up a pack of the Feather Soft-Guards - for use in the Cobra and AC razor.
Thanks Iain , used to buy from him but now buy what he is selling and some of what he refused to stock direct from Japan . I said to him stock the proline B-20 blades and people will come.......he didn't , so they all buy direct from Japan now and cut out the middle man.......him. :) you can lead a horse to water..........

Last edited:
image.jpg ~SOTD~ 25th August Friday

Prep....Shower ~ a Olive oil soap
Razor....Ever-Ready Heavy Flat Top aka E Bar (made in England)
Blade.....Gem Blue Star carbon steel
Soap....DR Harris & co ~ Winsor
Brush....Razorock ~ Big Bruce
Post.....Skin Food by @Boru62
Scent....Molecule 01 ISO Super

A great first shave with the nickel plated ER HFT and it performed much the same as the Gem Chrome plated HFT very well indeed and was paired well with the Gem Blue Star blades.
I was left as smooth as I require and irritation free.
The DR Harris Windsor soap was worked up into a fab lather by Big Bruce , big but ever so soft :) finnished off with the Skin Food that Kevin prepared earlier , very good indeed.

Wishing you all a fab Friday and bank holiday weekend if you're in the UK..........:)

Last edited:
Date: 25 August 2017 is nearly 6am in West of London

Pre: - Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush: - RazoRock Plissoft Big Bruce Synth. 26/63mm knot
Lather: - Wilkinson Sword Shave Stick (european version grated into a plastic tub)
Razor: - Gillette Ball End Tech 1946-50
Blade: - Feather Hi-Stainless #2
Post: - Thayers Witch Hazel 'Unscented' / Bulldog Original Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: - Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male EDT

SOTD_20170825-1024x683.jpg

• Straight Razor: Micor
  • Shaving Brush: Black Ship Grooming Co. - 28mm Whaler - Schooner Color (Silvertip Badger)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Shaving Grail Bowl
  • Shaving Soap: Black Ship Grooming Co. - Barnacle Bob
  • After-Shave: Black Ship Grooming Co. - Barnacle Bob - ASL

Sotd - Thursday 24-3 -

Razor - Mergress short-handle (4)
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush - Maseto 24mm two-band
Soap - Karo cream - Bulgarian (sample)
Post - Witch hazel
A/S - Williams Aqua Velva
Balm - Svoboda Vitamin F - Russian.

Result - I feel human again - shaving after six days. Four more than I wanted but sometimes life gets in the way.

Software - dedicated to the idea of good value for money products, not cheap or budget, just good value.

Fist use of the Bulgarian Karo and it was very good. Really slick and it produced an excellent lather that wasn't hard to achieve - not a fussy cream at all. It's smells of something - I'm just not sure what. Not unpleasant - something from my childhood - I just can't remember what it is. I'd use it again happily. The star of the new stuff was the Russian balm - it works really well for me. Just as well I looked at the back label - the front is entirely in Cyrillic script - I thought from the packaging initially it was shaving cream. Easily absorbed, non-greasy and my skin loves it.

Hardware - let's cut to the chase - none of the above is important - The Mergress -

The vast majority of you here will know exactly what a Mergress is but if you don't - it's a modified standard Merkur Progress that has been re-engineered to provide more accurate calibration of the adjustment mechanism and at the bottom of the handle the original plastic aggression selecting dial is replaced with an all metal version. The rest of the handle and head are identical. I've happily used the standard Progress for years but I have always been intrigued by the modded versions and when I saw one up for sale recently I jumped at it - they are pretty scarce. Especially in a condition as good at this one - thanks to the honesty of the seller I knew it had been used a few times but I would of believed it had never been out the box. Pristine. It's almost like a different razor - it is much heavier and this completely changes the balance of it in your hand. For me we are into let gravity do the work for you territory - just guide it around your face. There is no thought to apply pressure whatsoever. Always a good thing. It's noticeable that when you screw it shut - which takes far more turns than the original - after putting the blade in - it lands dead on 1 every-time. There is no slack in the mechanism at all. It dealt with a 6 day growth effortlessly but in fairness so would have the original. It's just different - it probably bears a more reasonable comparison with the the Parker Variant - given the weight. Excellent - one shave in I know it's a keeper for me. Three new razors in as many shaves? I need to get a grip.

So - for many reasons a fantastic shave tonight. BBS - totally irritation free and happy hydrated skin. Smoother than a Minke whale that has been adopted and brought up as one of Terry Thomas' own children. Ding dong!

Enjoy your shaves - yours - I.

@Rohleder - thank you again J. You're a gentleman.
Great post @Digimonkey - some really interesting products and observations.

Gold 19 Kopie.jpg

A very nice and gentle shave. Nothing to complain. The TGN synthetic knot did a very good job facelathering. Soft as my best silvertips and for my taste it got enough backbone. These La Toja products are so great. Shaving cream let me produce a very rich and slick lather in seconds. The after shave lotion gives good skin protection, smells just fine and after hours it is still perceptible .

This Friday´s morning shave was accompanied by Frédéric Chopin.

Last edited:
Friday

Olive Oil Soap and Groomed Facial Scrub
Proraso Preshave
Palmolive Shaving Cream
Copper Turkish Bowl
RR 400 Synthetic Brush
Ever-Ready 1924 with a GEM SS shimmed blade (#2}
Alum Block and rinse
Homemade Buttermix.
Denim AS.

Completely different shave from yesterday. The blade had a shim and the head was fitted to a thick Gem Parade handle. While not quite BBS...a very good shave with no blood letting or irritation. Seemed sensible to allow a full recovery...so no touchups!

Have a great weekend/Bank Holiday!

Back
Top Bottom