shafts n cracks......

maybe i'm in the wrong job & ought to be writing headlines for the popular press ;)...

just wondered if the rest of you get put off by the notorious cracks on vintage razor's handles?

thankfully most sellers are honest enough to declare them, but does anyone know if the crack can be restored cost-effectively, so that we dont have to be put-off by it before bidding on a much needed (wanted) razor?

rick. :)

Although I use 3 such razors that are apparently prone to it - none of the 3 has it... I get the impression that the cracking isn't as widespread as people make out (and in case you think "he's had 50 and kept 3" actually I've had 4 and kept all 4 of them - no cracking - the 4th has a different issue (it's lost some teeth - so it's more "open gum")

[attachment=4992]Heres a pic of latest!

ajc347 said:
I get put off by both handle cracks and missing teeth and it certainly stops me buying razors.

They just feel broken / flawed to me.

Not much I can do for teeth!

Attachments

• L1000300.JPG
    L1000300.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 60
that is pretty cool oscar, didnt realise that the end pieces came away from the original handle like that! :)

only problem is, i am looking for a bostonian type, and the handle criss-cross pattern is very distinctive, the part i would most want to be original :)

I soldered one, it does not look good. Big frankenstein Looking scar! So then I brazed one,(inserted a tube and melted solder between 2 tubes. looked better but tons of work! Also the crack is there.) I have given 2 of this ss tube thingy to a couple of guys here. Well traded for some soap for one. Im am out of tech parts so I wont be making another for a while. :)

singerman said:
that is pretty cool oscar, didnt realise that the end pieces came away from the original handle like that! :)

only problem is, i am looking for a bostonian type, and the handle criss-cross pattern is very distinctive, the part i would most want to be original :)

You can go to a machine shop they maybe able to make it, but it will cost you a BUNCH! (lots of set up to go with actual machine work) Id keep searching.

I tried it but I don't like the look of a big gray line running down the side , maybe I should have apprenticed as a plumber. :) I suppose if I have it plated and turned to take the knurling off. It will look ok to me. I think my stainless tube looks best ( they don't make copper thick enough, I am going to try sch 80 brass pipe when I find it HAHA), very clean! Just a personal thing.

I know that someone had recommended carbon fiber tubing and had given a eBay site where it could be bought. I bite. The tubing wasn't the same size as the gillette tubing and the end pieces would have had to be glued! And it was expensive to boot.

Carbon, modern look! I can imagine working with it. Lots of resins, and its very delicate on the ends. More exact machine work to the Gillette parts. Gillette made his stuff to his own sizes!

I would think a cracked handle could be silver soldered (Hard soldered) if you can get the inside edges of the crack clean...I have a couple of old Gillettes with cracked handles. I'll give silver soldering a go when I've done with the outside work for the year...I'll let you know how I get on with them.....

ishmael said:
I tried it but I don't like the look of a big gray line running down the side , maybe I should have apprenticed as a plumber. :) I suppose if I have it plated and turned to take the knurling off. It will look ok to me. I think my stainless tube looks best ( they don't make copper thick enough, I am going to try sch 80 brass pipe when I find it HAHA), very clean! Just a personal thing.

I was keeping your handle making skills a secret :blush:

Some of the handles on the ballend razors (early) and the 1960s aluminum
Handles are prone to cracking,but you can make your own handle and they work just fine, it's just part of ownership / using a vintage razor :)

Back
Top Bottom