Second-Hand Brushes

I don't have any problem with animal hair. I'm relatively confident all of the manufacturers I'm likely to be buying brushes from will use some kind of process to sterilise hides or hair. In fact the anthrax scares happened before such processes were widely used.

Even if that weren't the case, there's some method in my madness. You're much more likely to catch diseases, as a general rule, from other animals of the same species. That's how diseases work.

That said, this is all rationalisation. I said above, I'm sure this is irrational on my part, and you happy brush-sharers are the normal ones.

It's most likely been soaked in hot water, swirled on a puck of soap or blob of cream and wiped around someone's mug for a few minutes.....I hardly think it'll have been used as a bog brush will it? Get it used, what's the worst that can happen?

It would be interesting to read a scientific paper on the notion of icky vs actual health hazards from the use of pre loved razors, brushes, soaps...

I'm sure the real risks would be minimal, but not none existent.

Herpes (HPV-1) can be transmitted by sharing cigarettes, eating utensils, lip-balm. Staphylococcus Aureous lives on the skin, and can survive on towels for weeks. A form of foliculitis called sycosis vulgaris was also known as "barbers itch" for obvious reasons. It depends on how much you want to think about these sorts of things.

Personally, I've already said, I tend towards the paranoid end of the spectrum...

Even so, I'd have no issue with using a razor that had been cleaned and sterilised properly.

We use cutlery in restaurants and how many people's mouths has that been in? If such items are properly cleaned then there's no issue.
It's an interesting fact that the single dirtiest item we personally use is........a toothbrush! Every time you flush your toilet, you aerosolise faecal matter, some of which lands on your brush.
Mobile phones? Keyboards? All covered in more than we want to know but still we use them.
Wash your hands in a public toilet? What do you do next......open the door with your hand! Remember, there are "washers" and there are "walkers"!

Did any of you guys start off this way, then gradually become more relaxed about the idea in the face of irresistible bargains, and the ever growing desire to have all of the things?

Yes, started out very OCD about brushes, but then bought a Semogue limited edition brush from a member. I couldn't face dunking the lovely cherrywood handle into aggressive chemicals so just gave it a few washes with hand soap before use. Still wouldn't use a S/H soft soap though unless it was in a tube.

We use cutlery in restaurants and how many people's mouths has that been in? If such items are properly cleaned then there's no issue.

Absolutely. That's why they're made out of materials that can be easily cleaned and sterilised.

I wouldn't be happy about sharing a wooded spoon in a restaurant, personally.

At the moment, I think I feel the same way about brushes.

Yes, started out very OCD about brushes, but then bought a Semogue limited edition brush from a member. I couldn't face dunking the lovely cherrywood handle into aggressive chemicals so just gave it a few washes with hand soap before use. Still wouldn't use a S/H soft soap though unless it was in a tube.

Maybe I'll go the same way.

I am ok with razors but pass on brushes or soap based on a general icky lack of freshness feeling just like I would for example most definitely buy and wear a used Burberry coat but never in a million years a pair of used shoes even if Church Ryder Chukkas at bargain price :)

I've said it before, i'll say it again, the majority of my brushes were s/hand. I haven't died yet and in fact since I started wet shaving my skin has never been so good.

Back
Top Bottom