Second-Hand Brushes

Hands up who's ever bought a second-hand brush to use? Yep, thought so, pretty much most people. The other day I told the wife to look out for a package I was expecting, while I'm away. She asked if it was “more of that shaving crap?”, I just replied “yes” and let the slur side. I told her it was a brush that I had bought off someone, which is when things went slightly downhill…..

“you've bought a brush someone else has used?”

“erm….yes”

“(that's) disgusting”

“what's wrong with that?”

“you don't know who they are, or what they've used it for!”

“well, shaving obviously, it'll be fine” (BB actually)

“you'd better be sterilising it in bleach or boiling it”

“are you mad!! Bleach'll destroy it”

You get the gist. Now, if I buy a brush off someone, my usual procedure is to lather it to death with something like Palmolive or MWF for 10-15 mins, before finishing up with a couple of Tabac lathers to make it smell comfortable. What do other people do, as a matter of interest.

BTW, if I have bought a brush off you in the past - the above is not meant to be taken personally. MM

MoodyMick, tell the Mrs its been through (tips only) an ultrasonic cleaner as well as a gamma ray device to remove any residual bacteria, its cleaner than her toothbrush. It actually has been through the above mentioned and should be with you today. I would be more worried at the laughter when she sees the size of the brush ;)

I haven't tried this, but barbicide should be ok because I put the razor in it, and the scales were absolutely fine. So if it doesn't damage the scales of a razor, it shouldn't damage/discolour.... the handle of a brush. However I must say I haven't tried it.

Got the same from my wife, and she doesnt like the idea of using second hand soaps either!!!

I'm with your wife (in a manner of speaking). At least brushes can be washed and disinfected if you want, but soap can't! Ended up whizzing a part-used croap I bought as couldn't face using it.

Hands up who's ever bought a second-hand brush to use?. The other day I told the wife to look out for a package I was expecting, while I'm away. She asked if it was “more of that shaving crap?”, I just replied “yes” and let the slur side. I told her it was a brush that I had bought off someone, which is when things went slightly downhill…..

“you've bought a brush someone else has used?”

“erm….yes”

“(that's) disgusting”
MM

Let the poor woman vent. Hah, can you imagine her telling friends what your latest 'hobby' is? Plenty of sympathy and laughs.

There's 4-5 vintage badger brushes worth using in the arsenal and another 3-4 newer ones with relatively nicer knots. The older ones were bought with the idea of re knotting em at some point, even though the original ones weren't bad at all and perfectly usable after a good wash. Butterscotch handles hook me right in and there's various extinct companies who made purty thangs. Was a time I would see these in the wild but pretty rare now.

Martin

Oh, it's probably not a good idea mentioning to your wife about anthrax found in used brushes maybe 40% of the time. Still, better than even money you won't have a mini epidemic at your house.

Last edited:
Jokes aside, what is the harshest treatment brushes could/should be exposed to in order to remove as much trace of previous owner as possible without killing the poor thing? I have bought a few second-hand(++) razors but never a brush and might have one incoming now.

Back
Top Bottom