Sausage sandwich game

"The sausage sandwich game" sounds a bit rude. Something you might play in the parlour... or am I thinking of the "Hide the sausage game"?

I like the "Ickenham" sausages from my local butcher, on a crusty roll, with mustard.
Mr Porkinsons aren't bad, Rankin's are okay, and to be honest I don't mind a bit of brown sauce if I'm roughing it.

Well as far as the sandwich goes I like baps and red sauce. Our local Deli has started doing sausage and bacon baps for £1.30 guess where I've been buying my lunch from all week. Can't see it lasting though the other "outlets" are £2.50/£3 round here for the same thing.

I have fond memory's of being able to scult and form bad white sliced bread around a low grade sausage turning into a sort of fat saturated dough sausage roll.

Sounds terrible but at the time it was glorious.

Hiya,

Man, some of you guys really like talking about weird stuff to eat, with sausage sammiches being the latest topic. Just another culinary delicacy of the Limeys (and other foreigners) who hang out here. Yes, I have to insult all of those really far countries, otherwise they get offended because I didn't include em. They are a sensitive group.

Anyway, there was a fairly long time in my life when sausage rolls and Scotch eggs were a regular part of my diet. Yep, they were best washed down with pints of Watneys Red. Heh, that's some goofy mustard you like over there, but you'd be the last to know it (no offense meant of course). Gotta be well over 20 years since I last savored the lovely Scotch egg delight.

Hey, did I miss a Spam thread somewhere?

Dodgy

Well, I should mention my favorite type of sausage would have to be Portuguese Linguica....pronounced Lingweesa. Different varieties of course, but most I've tried have been excellent.

These days you would find the sweet yellow vinegar your countrymen like to describe as mustard is readily available here too. Unlike Watneys, happily.

My keyboard wishes to autocorrect Watney to Watery, which cheers me considerably.

Dr Rick said:
These days you would find the sweet yellow vinegar your countrymen like to describe as mustard is readily available here too. Unlike Watneys, happily.

My keyboard wishes to autocorrect Watney to Watery, which cheers me considerably.

What's doin Rick,

Yeah, you're right the way you describe how Yankee mustard tastes compared to the UK version. Ours is used as a mild and tasty mustard blend that's meant to accentuate and add to whatever it's being paired with. Now if I'm not mistaken, the great French chef (Bobby Flay of course) feels the stronger flavored English style mustard is needed to cover up the food's actual taste. That sound about right to you?

Far as Watneys goes, I think what's being made now (if any) is different from what was brewed back in the late 1970s. Haven't had one for many years but I thought I mighta read there'd been reformulations.

The pub had that on tap, along with Bass, Harp, and a few others. Took me little while, but I got into quite the roll with that stuff for maybe 5 years or so.

Martin

Oh hell, I'm very very sorry (think Kevin Kline practicing his Fish Called Wanda apology) for straying slightly off this fascinating sammich thread.

Hi Martin

As an American and being used to your mustard type, English mustard must have been like a nuclear blast to your tastebuds. Whereas to us, American mustard is barely one step up from mayo.

Neither is right or wrong just, erm, different to each other.

Like when I was in Katz's Deli in NYC:

Can I have a bowl of stew please (said in English accent)

Whaaat?

Stew please (English again)

Whaaat?

Erm, a bowl of stoo please.

I am amused by the thought of a French chef's likely reaction to French's :). I think Red Barrel may be dead, though.

Of course the key to the use of proper mustards is moderation, something not generally associated, in culinary matters, with our colonial cousins. We British are used to foodstuffs that can only be tolerated in tiny quantities, such as marmite and gentleman's relish.

Gentlemens relish indeed, hey Marvin if you really want something that smells of death that's your boy.

Ricks right of course, you only need a smear of English mustard but you boys would only complain about the portion size.

At the risk of offending, I hate the term 'Red Sauce'. It's Tomato Ketchup. Red Sauce as a term just seems lazy to me........anyway moving on.

I prefer Ketchup (or catsup). I don't like Brown Sauce at all. But I do like to add a touch of Frank's Hot Sauce to a sausage sandwich.

Re: RE: Sausage sandwich game

antdad said:
Gentlemens relish indeed, hey Marvin if you really want something that smells of death that's your boy.

It is definitely not the world's most universally appealing toast topper, indeed. "Challenging", I think the term is.

My main sausage at the moment is Tesco's Finest Traditional Pork Sausage, for a real treat I head down to the Ginger Pig butchers on Lauriston Rd near Victoria Park (London) their sausages are incredible...with an incredible price of around a pound a piece.

Sauce, can't believe it hasn't been mentioned is Daddies Brown!

Hiya,

Ok, I looked up what kinda delicacy The Gentlemen's Relish is. We're talking some kinda herbed anchovy paste aren't we? Texture looks similar to peanut butter...the smooth kind.

Turns out I grew up having someone around me who enjoyed something like the elegant The Gentlemen's Relish, but on a lower class budget. They really gotta soak you over there for such a creation like anchovy paste.

My dad usta have salted anchovies unrolled from the can and laid out on fitted pieces of white bread. Yep, just the fillets I mean, not the whole small fish. I had em more than once over the years, just to goof on myself at how truly weird.....there's so many things wrong with even that peasant fare. Main issues are the salt and the fish taste.....whew. Looks like The Gentlemen's Relish is only about 60% fish, this version was the full unbuffered blast of really really salty fishy....you get the idea. The thin slice of bread did little to mellow that....taste.

So I kinda get how people would like that sorta food, although the upper class crap is pretty amusing. Course, we're talking about the UK, and The Gentlemen's Relish is being compared to the more mundane or bizarre English condiments I guess. Yeah, I think I'd rather have that spread on my sausage roll or Scotch egg (two top UK entrees) than the idiot mustard you guys use (no offense meant of course).

Thanks for the edumication,

Dodgy

Duffer said:
Stokes brown sauce for me.

That a recommendation Mr Duffer? The Stokes' tomato ketchup is the current favourite in our cheerfully infantile household.

One hesitates to enter the mustard debate. Well, no actually, having been brought up on Colman's made five minutes before dinnertime, I feel that I can speak with some confidence. English mustard properly made is an acquired taste, best taken in homeopathic quantities or as a poultice. Just because I love it doesn't mean that I necessarily approve, so on this occasion I'll align myself with Marvyn, however reluctantly. Dijon however is a true flavour enhancer, whereas your wholegrain stuff is just wrong unless stirred into mashed potato.

Sausages tonight, not sandwiched. Forgive me if I've rehearsed this one before, but this is a straightforward upgrade for decent ones:

Enough sausages to satisfy the diners
Olive oil
Red wine
A bay leaf
Salt 'n' pepper

Oven 180 degrees C. Fry the sausages in oil until the colour is pleasing to you. Place in a suitably sized oven-proof dish, which is to say one which fits the bangers quite closely. Season, tuck in the bay leaf and pour over wine as you see fit; cover loosely with foil. Put in oven for 30 mins; dispose of the remainder of the wine responsibly. Serve with mash and green beans, or what you will.

One of my few regrets is that I didn't marry Sophie Grigson. Credit where it's due however: that's one of hers, roughly.

Back
Top Bottom