Sausage sandwich game

Red sauce.

I like my sausages with no extra bits. No chillies or cranberries or other bits and pieces to liven them up. If it's a good sausage it should stand alone.

Oh, and another thing, brown sauce is for macaroni or cauliflower cheese.

:)

Pig Cat said:
I like my sausages with no extra bits. No chillies or cranberries or other bits and pieces to liven them up. If it's a good sausage it should stand alone.

I'm with you on that, my favourites do have some herbs and seasoning though.

I think a past thread on here led be to trying Tiptree brown sauce and that is now my fave banger accompanyment, never liked HP that much.

Depends on the sausage, I believe:

A smooth, mild, herby Italian sausage is great on freshly toasted ciabatta with some mayonnaise and mustard.

A standard banger is best left to room temperature, then between slices of white bread with lashings of butter and a little red sauce.

A premium grade British sausage with anything other than Pork at its heart sould be enjoyed without sauce, on thick brown bloomer, with only enough butter to lubricate the palate.

A German sausage should be thrown in the bin, and start all over again.

I kid. German sausages are very nice, but not for eating in a sandwich. Best with some warm, freshly made potato salad, perhaps some boiled kraut, or perhaps some potatoes parmentier style or similar.

Yes Ken, I agree that there are some circumstances when a different kind of sausage applies. I was thinking of a simple sandwich, a fry-up or with mash and onion gravy. Actually, I don't mind a bit of leek in a banger.

Sorry to digress, but here is a great recipe that involves sausages:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sausagesandmustard_92487

Very simple, tasty and perfect for this time of year. Sorry Tony, it's Nigel again!! :blush:

Actually, that recipe isn't exactly the one I've used before. I have cooked the one from his 'Real Cooking' which is similar but uses spicy Italian pork sausages and white wine. I'm sure the one above is also very tasty.

I really don't mind Nigel's recipes but he really should stay off the telly as he scares the kids.

My god father used to make great sausages (alas no more) from a freshly slaughtered animal, natural casing and packed with fennel, pepper and a little chilli. Course, fatty and bloody delicious.

If I'm hungry and poorer quality sausage, red sauce. Don't like brown. If decent sausage then no sauce, thanks.

I'm on a new year health kick - doing well except I really want a sausage sandwich now!

The best sausages I've had were from friends who owned some rare breed pigs with a few other families. They very kindly gave us a few sausages which turned out to bear very little relation to even a superior butcher's banger. They were a world apart in terms of flavour and texture. Unfortunately there is just an old boar left. Perhaps I should try to tap them for a few bristles...

Good Crisp Sausage all by itself..especially nice cold.....Don't do HP sauce anymore, they changed the recipe to allow for a lesser salt content or something or other,and buggered the sauce up completely...last bottle I got was very nasty stuff,it went straight in the bin...

Brown sauce all the way.

I also like a plain meat sausage with a little seasoning and a high % of meat content.

Supposedly bookers/Costco etc used to sell a type of sausage with such little meat content that it couldn't legally be called a sausage and had to be called a banger.

Two slices of wholemeal bread and a good spread of English mustard.

I get my sausages straight from a local pig farmer. They are superb.

I also quite like beef sausages, but lamb were a bit disappointing and turkey were awful.

Definitely sausage dependent. Very good ones deserve to be left alone, otherwise it'll be tomato ketchup or Dijon mustard ... or both. Like William I'm right off HP sauce which has been as comprehensively buggered up as Branston pickle, so the search for a decent replacement is still on.

Back
Top Bottom