Sandwiches....weird but oddly satisfying combinations.

Not really into weird combinations, but my best ever culinary memory is of a sandwich I had in Italy about 6 years back. Me and the wife were staying in a little town on the Amalfi coast and had took a boat trip to Positano, a rather chic resort. Being hard up students at the time we found the spends were being stretched a bit and all the restaurants there seemed to cater for well-off American tourists. We were looking for somewhere relatively inexpensive to eat when we spotted a few Japanese tourists with sandwiches. After some directions in broken English/poorly understood Italian followed by a lot of searching, we managed to track them down to a little deli counter at the back of a small tobacconists tucked down a side street. Buffalo mozzarella, prosciuto, tomato and basil on fresh ciabatta in the Italian sun. Heaven.

Proinsias said:
been mulling over this for a while, I think I might just be a tad conservative when it comes to sandwiches

Me too, though I used to buy sarnies from Sainsbury on the way to work sometimes. I'd intend them to be for my lunch but usually had them as soon as I got in. Colleagues were rather taken aback that I could stomach roast chicken and coleslaw wraps at 9 o'clock but I didn't see what the problem was.

Brie & Apricot Jam. :hungrig

rangers62 said:
Some gentlemans relish to accompany perhaps?
Now that's just jogged a memory - I once knew a chap who loved Patum Peperium because (he insisted) it put him in mind of - er - how shall I put this - yodelling.

Colleagues were rather taken aback that I could stomach roast chicken and coleslaw wraps at 9 o'clock but I didn't see what the problem was.

I was out of favor when i worked in Coventry city unit becuase i ate Egg mayo sandwiches at 9.30 for breakfast.
Nothing wrong with that in my view..

Attero said:
Colleagues were rather taken aback that I could stomach roast chicken and coleslaw wraps at 9 o'clock but I didn't see what the problem was.

I was out of favor when i worked in Coventry city unit becuase i ate Egg mayo sandwiches at 9.30 for breakfast.
Nothing wrong with that in my view..

Breakfast means break the fast, not munch on some high fibre cardboard just because Dr Kellog decided it was good for his patients. I agree eat what you like.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/foodprog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/foodprog</a><!-- m -->

Oh...I just thought of another sandwich combo I like. Bolognese sauce and cheese.

HM yea the classic "Roll and pie" or "Roll and Sausage Roll".

Pig Cat, It amazes me that work colleagues would be taken aback at a roast chicken and coleslaw wrap when past workmates of mine had breakfasts that ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous.

In the last few weeks I have witnessed some classic breakfasts though. The standard fare being crisps. A couple of weeks ago I saw 2 school girls eating a pack of Jammie Dodgers for breakfast and only this morning I witnessed a full grown man eating 2 Freddo chocolate bars for brekkie.

I can't stomach much first thing in the morning but a chicken sarnie sounds ok to me.

Ids, I remember reading about the Tesco Lasagne sarnie. almost 600 calories and almost 50% of your daily fat intake. Yum. :shock:

I once worked with a chap who used to eat his sandwiches on his journey to work.

He rode a motorbike.

I've just thought of another favourite - cold new potatoes, sliced with marmite.

Regards

Ian

Yellow Jim said:
... Buffalo mozzarella, prosciuto, tomato and basil on fresh ciabatta in the Italian sun. Heaven.

+1 But I go for one without the prosciuto. If you´re in the south of Italy you can often go into a supermarket (with a deli counter) and order one and they cut everything up for you and put it together and it doesn´t cost much + they use a lot of buffallo mozzarella :hungrig :D

andyjreid said:
Pig Cat, It amazes me that work colleagues would be taken aback at a roast chicken and coleslaw wrap when past workmates of mine had breakfasts that ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Yes but these were sensitive ladies who ate ladies' breakfasts of Ryvita and Slimfast. :roll:

Pig Cat said:
andyjreid said:

Yes but these were sensitive ladies who ate ladies' breakfasts of Ryvita and Slimfast. :roll:

Oh, you mean fat birds.

They were just jealous.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom