S.O.T.D. w/c Saturday 12th July - Friday 18th July 2014, incl.

Friday

Afternoon, gents.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Super Max Blue Diamond (13)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave cream: Ingram
Aftershave: Eau de Grey Flannel
Cologne: Eau de Grey Flannel

Nice end to the week.

Friday night, and I'm drinking some rather nice root beer from Boylan's of Teterboro, New Jersey ... seemed only right to partner it with some Club Cola & Bay Rum.

IMG_6435.JPG

Bulldog Facial Scrub
Wickham's Super Smooth Club Cola
Kent Infinity Silvertex
Valet VC4 - Valet (Vintage) [1]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

Face Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & XTG

Sort of a goodbye shave with my lovely Army & Navy Stores Valet VC4 which I have up for sale, just in case it sells. Very nice.

The aroma from the soap was just right, great soap, lovely lather, good slip and left my skin feeling really good.

The blade is carbon steel and noticeably firmer than modern Feathers or de-spined GEMs and seemed to need a slightly steeper angle than usual. Smooth as they come, this could not have been nicer.

Cracking shave!

Cold water splash
Truefitt & Hill 1805 shaving cream
Commodore X3 handle w/ TGN 24mm Finest Badger knot
ATT M2 Kronos
Personna Lab Blue (2)
Clinique Post-Shave Healer
Speick EdT

Not as close as I would have liked... made my lather a little too thin, so didn't want to overdo things. Better shave tomorrow no doubt :)

pjgh said:
Friday night, and I'm drinking some rather nice root beer from Boylan's of Teterboro, New Jersey ...

Valet VC4 - Valet (Vintage) [1]

Sort of a goodbye shave with my lovely Army & Navy Stores Valet VC4 which I have up for sale, just in case it sells. Very nice.

The blade is carbon steel and noticeably firmer than modern Feathers or de-spined GEMs and seemed to need a slightly steeper angle than usual. Smooth as they come, this could not have been nicer.
Cracking shav

Man oh man, you say the craziest damn things,...funny because it's so far removed from a normal reality. You make shaving with that screwy contraption a snap, Really smooth result with no mention of the many hazards that must be associated with that bloodsucker. Yep, just a regular old shave is all.

Talking about non reality, you are even using a carbon blade and getting that kinda shave. Gets better and better.

Thanks for the review on the Valet,

Martin

Oh, I will include link to a tiny brewery that creates their own unusual root beer. This is the stronger of the two alcoholic versions (almost 40 proof) and it is really smooooth. Tastes pretty much like a luscious excellent soda is all with no hint of the damage it could do. I've stopped in there, met the owner and his wife, and sampled a bunch of things including the apple beer when out that way. It's not a convenient place to get to.

Here you go:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24798/79976/

What can I say? I must have one of those faces ... the older and more primitive the razor and blade combination, the more it seems to suit me.

The root beer I'm enjoying came from the USA section in the "World Food" area of one of my local Supermarkets. That section is not especially high-brow, compared to the Latin American, African, Caribbean or Asian sections, but it does have Tootsie Rolls, Hersey Bars, A1 Sauce, huge marshmallows and this root beer. I don't know how you folks survive on that lot, but I did enjoy the beer ... once I'd poured some rum into it :D

BigRon said:
mZq6i1O.jpg

Great shave today, first use of my "Heavyweight" ER C40 brush restored by Rich (Midas) and first use of Wickham Super Smooth, I'm very impressed with both of them.
Finally got the hang of the 1924 and finished with Osage Rub, if you think Alcolado Glacial is cold try this..

There was however a casualty during the shave...
aJ8h1jK.jpg

Didn't grip the brush tightly enough, slipped out of my hand and BANG there goes my bowl..

what a loss :(

face lathering ftw

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

Friday 18th July 2014
Prep: Shower
Razor: Joseph Elliot 6/8ths
Strop: Neil Miller
Brush: Semogue OC Boar
Cream: Body Shop Maca Root
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)
EDT: Terre D'Hermes

My third straight shave and a further slight improvement in terms of finish, still however a pink lather shave, though thankfully my mole missed this mornings onslaught!

I did have a go against the grain this morning and found it pulled like hell and at times the razor came to a dead stop trapped against the short spiky protrusions of stubble like a car up against a traffic bollard where only the buses are meant to go!

In terms of closeness I would rate todays shave as similar to a single pass with an OCMM; good enough in fact that if a stunning twenty five year old West African model invited me out for lunch I feel I would not need a further shave! (I fantasise more as I get older!):icon_lol:

Regards
Dick.

Dick, it's not the razor. Tugging indicates too shallow an angle on the WTG pass - which then leaves a bit too much for comfort when you go ATG.

Try a bigger angle WTG and give it a couple of passes until it feels relatively smooth. Use a different razor to finish off. Then when you are proficient and getting a consistent smooth WTG pass, try ATG again but with a much more shallow angle. It makes sense once you think about it.

Planned Shave 7-19-2014 ...

14501096479_61b409085a_c.jpg

BigRon said:
mZq6i1O.jpg

Great shave today, first use of my "Heavyweight" ER C40 brush restored by Rich (Midas) and first use of Wickham Super Smooth, I'm very impressed with both of them.
Finally got the hang of the 1924 and finished with Osage Rub, if you think Alcolado Glacial is cold try this..

There was however a casualty during the shave...
aJ8h1jK.jpg

Didn't grip the brush tightly enough, slipped out of my hand and BANG there goes my bowl..

Sorry about the bowl.

Above you can see my heavyweight C40. They are different handling brushes when weighted. I like mine a lot.

bilbo72 said:
Prep: Hot Water
Soap: Fitjar Frost Rose
Brush: Simpson M7 Manchurian Butterscotch
Razor: Rudolf Schmidt Bambola 6/8
Moustache Razor : The Mab Dwarf Razor
AS: Floris London N°89
EDT: Floris London N°89

image.php

image.php

Beautifully arranged photos! Worthy of a Piccadily shop window!

Back
Top Bottom