Sunday:

Prep: Claus Porto Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Yuma
Blade: Supermax SS (2)
Brush: Vulfix "Grosvenor"
Shave soap: QED Special 218
A/S: Pashana
Cologne: Kouros

Excellent result: the Supermax gives an easy, gentle shave, but today I got an accidental BBS as well. The sillage coming off me thanks to the Pashana and Kouros is amazing. If any of you are in Ireland, that smell you're catching may well be me.

I love Sundays.

Sunday

I awoke this morning and decided to have a really pleasant shave. I had a few things that could be tried out for the first time so a nice enjoyable shave was on the cards.

The first new acquisition was my Simpson PJ2 Super Badger and I also decided to use an English Wilkie for the first time.

First up the brush, I was using Floris JF soap which lathers beautifully with my NF Super Badger, but I really struggled to get a good lather going, I know it's a new brush and had only had a quick lather yesterday but this seemed really hard work. I had enough for the first pass but then had to re lather.

Back to that first pass, I loaded my Gillette New up with the Wilkie and off I went. After the first 2 strokes I had to abandon the attempt, this has to be the most blunt and tuggy blade I have ever used, this really surprises me as I was expecting something marvellous. I grapped my spare razor which I had preloaded with a 7 o'clock yellow and away we went.

Is it just me or are these blades not as good as reported. I know there are a few versions and these are not the ones that NTS says are his favourites so perhaps they are not as good as I had expected.

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: Simpson Persian Jar 2 Super Badger
Soap: Floris JF
Razor 1: Gillette New with iKon Bulldog
Blade 1: Wilkinson Sword - Sword Edge
Razor 2: 7 o'clock New with UFO 2
Blade 2: 7 o'clock SharpEdge
A/S: Floris JF
Cologne: Floris JF

The results were a decent shave in the end but it took some effort to get there.

IMG_0648-Edit_zps131b7c0f.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded Simpsons best
'Webly'/Iridium
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
Serge Lutens 'Un Bois Vanille' EdP

Well if I hadda pick a soap/cream to use every day, it would probably be this old soap. It's an even older version of the later Surrey that I also like very much, with this earlier stuff having I believe a tallow base to it. Yeah, it's not something that should be melted, unlike the later stuff.

For the life of me, I can't remember a better shave than the one today. No feeling of the blade on my face.....shaving by sound mostly. Face actually feels better after shaving, which is pretty nuts when you think about it. Post shave skin care is exceptional for me.

Man, I can't remember the last time I wore this EdP. Just a tiny bit is needed and it called to me because of the vanilla in Steve's concoction reminding me.

BBS results,

Martin

Sunday 03-10-13. MUSIC: Barry Withe´S Golden Collection. :icon_cool:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEr4vJVutTM[/video]

9e8a0379-6a8a-4560-8817-9021a0c42ef0.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Simpson Chubby 1 best badger - Gillette Rocket Flare Tip - Polsilver #2 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Provence Sante - Alum block - Thayers Original - ASB aftershave Korres - ASL Honeybee Gardens Florida.

Sunday 10th

sotd10313.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Palmolive stick grated into plastic tub scuttle lathered
Kent BK8 brush
Edwin Jagger head on custom brass handle
Polsilver super iridium (3)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
Myrsol lemon aftershave

Comfortable shave. The Palmolive stick produces a great slick lather for the cost. Myrsol lemon finishes the job nicely :angel: I will send the brass handle in this week to be chrome plated. The weight and grip of it just right.

Brian

Sunday 10th March 2013

Prep: Shower
Razor: Gillette Superslim L3 - borrowed from Hairsuite
Blade: Scottish Permasharp
Brush: Wilkinson Sword Supermarket special
Preshave: Sportstar shaving oil - 99p in Savers - sunflower based with a bit of menthol
Soap: Arko
Face Balm: Arko Classic Natural Krem

2 pass shave - 1 with grain, 1 across

Stunning shave - the Superslim is a thing of beauty

Miraculously - new razor, new blade - no nicks / cuts or other blood drawing issues

As I said in a message to Hairsuite - if you want it back you'll need a warrant!

Happy Mothers Day! :icon_razz:

Hot shower
Proraso pre, white
NF 1901 brush, Tabac stick
Weber polished, Ladas (1)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave soother

Got into the shower with my glasses on... but things got markedly better after that.
First try with the Ladas blade... no problems at all... now it's on the approved list.
Lovely lather with the Tabac, so I'll be using it as my holiday shave stick... so I'll forever associate that smell with sunny days in Tenerife.
Didn't really feel I needed the alum or even the post-shave soother... but old habits die hard

benthespaniel said:
Sunday 10th March 2013

Preshave: Sportstar shaving oil - 99p in Savers - sunflower based with a bit of menthol

Miraculously - new razor, new blade - no nicks / cuts or other blood drawing issues

As I said in a message to Hairsuite - if you want it back you'll need a warrant!

Warrant applied for!

Hairsuite said:
benthespaniel said:
Sunday 10th March 2013

Warrant applied for!

As Big Vern says - you'll never take me alive!

ATT Titan M1/ Yellow
New Forest Tubby 1 finest silver tip in Tigris Perla
Proraso White Soap (New Formula)
Witch Hazel

Getting to rather like the Titan

Prep: Proraso white
Cream: DR Harris - Windsor
Brush: NF Tubby 1
Razor: Weber pol/UFO U2

Think I got my angle a but wrong one small nick and a couple of patches of redness.

SUNDAY EVENING

Gem Featherweight
Gem blade (3)
Neep Sandstone badger
GFT Sandalwood cream - face lathered
Witch hazel
Castle Forbes AS balm

Effortless almost-BBS with this combo. So easy to shave with, and I find it very difficult to cut myself too. Am really enjoying SE shaving ATM.

The other thing that is working well is the blob of cream in the brush then face lather. I have to be in the mood to bowl lather, and prefer to face lather most of the time. My creams were getting a bit neglected but they won't be from now on.

Back
Top Bottom