S.O.T.D. Saturday 3rd June to Friday 9th June 2017

jvduqrD.jpg

Smooth and uneventful shave... I'll focus on my next shaves on this Personna GEM SS blade to test its longevity.

Hot bath / Nivea Men Active Wash
Proraso Red Pre Shave
Mason Pearson pure badger
Blues Soap Goats Milk
Merkur Futur #3/ Astra SP (4)
Real Shaving Co post shave balm
Mont Blanc Legend

Why did I set the Futur to 3? Nick on my Adams apple.
It did shave close though.
The Astra blade is still very keen after four shaves.
I wasn't going to shave until my Merkur 37c arrives but wanted to try the soap. It's got a nice citrus scent and lathers really well.
I will be using it again soon for sure.
The Mont Blanc AS was a good finish to a not so great shave

Last edited:
Thank you @FrankieG What blades have you found work best with the SE1? I take it, you still own one?
I'm yet to buy the SE1 as I only have one on loan at the moment.
Feather Pro are my go-to blades in the SE1. I had a few Kai Captain Sharpblade at some point and they worked really well too. I found both blades sharp and smooth and they deliver a close, comfortable shave. Feather Super were a little too aggressive for me in that razor and for some reason Proline felt rough and, as mentioned, didn't fit well in the razor.

I haven't tried the General yet, but as far as current production SE razors go I never hesitate to recommend the SE1.

Feather Pro are my go-to blades in the SE1. I had a few Kai Captain Sharpblade at some point and they worked really well too. I found both blades sharp and smooth and they deliver a close, comfortable shave. Feather Super were a little too aggressive for me in that razor and for some reason Proline felt rough and, as mentioned, didn't fit well in the razor.

I haven't tried the General yet, but as far as current production SE razors go I never hesitate to recommend the SE1.

Cheers for the reply. I liked the Feather Pro in the SE1.
The Proline's work a treat in The General. Like yourself with the SE1. I'm the same with The General, fantastic razor.

Razor: SE2 with Atlas handle
Razor blade/s: Kai Captain mild and Feather Pro
Brush: Romera Manchurian
Soap: Saponifico Varesino Tundra Artica

Firstly a big thank you to @Nishy for the loan of the SE2 (first version).

I wasn't sure what blade to try first as I'd heard the SE2 was on aggressive side.
I decided to go with the Kai Captain mild (no guard).
On the first pass I found the blade tuggy and rough so I tried to swap it for a Proline but it wouldn't fit.
I did find the Proline was a tight fit on the SE1 too why h is something for me to consider if I do end up buying one.

I changed the blade to a Feather Pro (2) and things improved, slightly on the second pass.
On the third pass I was tempted to go back to the SE1 as I was finding the shave pretty rough. I decided to stick with it but didn't enjoy the shave at all. I didn't find the teeth an issue, as I've found with some OC.

I wasn't left with any tenderness but it wasn't a comfortable shave.

Thanks to Avnish for sending the razor, it's been a great help.

Love spreads.......

Good evening @Blackmass A gorgeous step up. Having studied many of your previous SOTD, it is now apparent to me that you prefer the Romera to your SV? The Romera looks a far better brush in my eyes.:rolleyes:
If you ever feel that the SV has lost the love in your home, then please let me know!:D

Just checking in..Best wishes, Wayne:p

EDIT: aside from my pretty tame and pathetic jokes,.
What is your overall opinion of the "General?" The majority of reviews have been so positive but I am yet to place it on my "MUST HAVE" list,
although I must say I do love the look of it..

Your thoughts would be more than welcome.
W

Last edited:
Good evening @Blackmass A gorgeous step up. Having studied many of your previous SOTD, it is now apparent to me that you prefer the Romera to your SV? The Romera looks a far better brush in my eyes.:rolleyes:
If you ever feel that the SV has lost the love in your home, then please let me know!:D

Just checking in..Best wishes, Wayne:p

Thanks Wayne. They do say 'God loves a trier'.:p
As soon as I'm 'not feeling it' for my SV brush, you'll be the first to you know......you could be in for a long wait though.:D

Thanks Wayne. They do say 'God loves a trier'.:p
As soon as I'm 'not feeling it' for my SV brush, you'll be the first to you know......you could be in for a long wait though.:D

PS: I still love my SV brush more than the Romera.
As long as I am the first to know Rob, that's good enough fro me.;)
Patience is a virtue and my middle name happens to be virtue So just call me patient............softly, softly catch a monkey and all that :p
Seapk soon and take care mate,
Wayne

Boss-Mastiff-Mariner-SABI/Jaws-Pearl-Cadet Frankenrazor (L) v R41 (R). R41 smoother, Franken more aggressive and first impression is that it is more efficient. R41 definitely easier ATG on my head but Franken perfectly viable. Never had a razor smooth the moustache area near BBS in one WTG pass. The Pearl cap can be funky and impair alignment, the Boss cap with the Pearl OC baseplate works better.

335a4a49b44753d337ba1cc7e9e8d8f1.jpg

d97e673d248ad952531fe21eab781286.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
10 hours on the Frankenrazor is closer than the R41. Both really close but there you are.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

image.jpg S.O.T.D Wedesday 7th June

Prep...Shower
Razor....Colonal Razors - Brass general
Blade....Feather Professional super #6
Soap....Klar Kabinett
Brush....Semouge Owners Club Badger
Post....BBA Post Shave Balm
Smell....Tom .Grey Vetiver...(Mr Perfume ) kindly gifted to me by @Benz3ne, thank you Ben :)

This SE razor is certanly in my top three, another fantastic shave paired with the Fether super, as smooth as a really smooth thing and zero irritation. The Klar soap is just wonderful with a really light rose scent and lathers like a rabid dog and I hear the Dusy Kabinett I have on order is just as good, one happy chappy!
Finnished with a generous application of the Tom Grey Vetiver.

The sun is out here, I hope it is shining on you too.......:)
Edit: the sun is now behind clouds and it has started to rain! I hope your weather is better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom