S.O.T.D. Saturday 29th April to Friday 5th May 2017

SOTD 20170505

EaVjgg2.jpg

Brush: J&T® bamboe / Tuxedo synthetic 24 mm.
Shaving soap: Jabones by Luna "Edicion Especial foroafeitado".
Razor: Souplex ("normale" thread size) / aluminum handle borrowed from RR Hawk.
Blade: Racer Super Class Platinum (1).
After shave: Hugo Boss ASB.

On the borrowed handle of the Hawk the Souplex shaves even better.

Smooth !

Have a nice day, gentlemen ... ;)

Friday...

Soap - Tabac Original
Brush - Semogue 1470 boar
Face lather
Razor - Schick Injector E3
Blade - Personna Injector #1
Post - Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
A/S - Tabac Original

After yesterday's outing with the 1950s G8, I thought I'd try the 1930s E3 with a new Personna blade. Another great result. I find that the Personna blades are pretty good. I also wonder why Connaught and others don't stock the Chinese Schick Injector blades. Looking at Amazon and the bay, they attract silly prices (include p&p from the States and it's a small fortune). Anyhoo...

The Tabac, as you'd expect, gave a beautiful slick lather with the 1470 (my favourite small/medium brush) and the aftershave finushes it off nicely.

BBS again and smelling great.

Have a great day folks.
20170505_120511.jpg

13 is, to coin an old phrase, unlucky for some. ;)

It sounds like a relatively respectable shave nonetheless! If it's a slightly heavier grind it might seem counterintuitive to have the blade flatter to the skin - I've found this with my own razors, hence can see exactly why people would tend towards 1/2-hollow and full-hollow blades. It's quite easy to have some neck irritation especially when using a blade for the second time. I'm certain it'll all fall into place in good time! I'm sure you'll learn to love that beauteous razor.

Happy Birthday, May the fourth be with you and keep living in abalone dreams!

Ha, I thought someone might mention that! :D

Yes the Micro Razor definitely has a heavier grind, so what is your suggestion for the heavier grinds, flatter to the face? How long have you been using straights out of interest?

It was a reasonable shave, it could have been far worse. I actually had to abandon some of my chin area completely, I just couldn't get it to cut! I've not had that issue before :(

I hope I learn to love the shave too, I won't give up on it! Once I've got maybe 30/40 "proper" straight shaves under my belt, I'll focus solely on the Sprecher. I just want to get my technique right first and get consistently smooth two pass results using a bigger straight, once I know my technique is right, then I can start playing around with it!

Ha, I thought someone might mention that! :D

Yes the Micro Razor definitely has a heavier grind, so what is your suggestion for the heavier grinds, flatter to the face? How long have you been using straights out of interest?

It was a reasonable shave, it could have been far worse. I actually had to abandon some of my chin area completely, I just couldn't get it to cut! I've not had that issue before :(

I hope I learn to love the shave too, I won't give up on it! Once I've got maybe 30/40 "proper" straight shaves under my belt, I'll focus solely on the Sprecher. I just want to get my technique right first and get consistently smooth two pass results using a bigger straight, once I know my technique is right, then I can start playing around with it!
I couldn't resist mentioning! :D

I personally have found, with heavier grinds, that I tended to keep the gap of the flat of the blade and my face about the same as with hollower grinds (if you're with me). If your blade is that much thicker, the angle is then that much larger (probably only a few degrees but probably just enough to throw you off course). Focussing on keeping it flatter to the face I've found my results have improved! I'm definitely giving you a newbie's insight into this, mind, as I've only been wet shaving again (had some years away from it) since the end of November, but that's almost solely been with straights (up until my QShave Futur arrived, really) so I'd say I have between about 40 and 50 straight shaves under my belt. Making sure you spend the time giving them a good stropping really helps. There are certainly some area's I can't get buttery smooth, but as long as I look clean I'm happy enough. I'd say 90% of where I shave is clean-shaven, however.

I'm sure you will - I'm loving the whole learning aspect of it. I'm too curious for my own good so have taken up hobbies which reflect this. After some low points recently I said to myself that I'd pick myself up, dust myself off and make myself look as presentable/professional as possible! If that means keeping my beard in check, then I want to do it in the funnest/most involved way possible! :D I think once I'd hit the 20-shave mark I started learning where I could get away with sloppier technique and how different razors perform differently. It's just the initial hurdle of holding some unsheathed, sharp metal to your face. I guess fortunately I dived straight into the deep end, so I didn't have any reference point using a DE or similar. Therefore, using a straight now feels more natural to me than using a DE. I can find the angle a bit easier with the straight than DE etc.!

You will get there. I have faith in you! :D

I couldn't resist mentioning! :D

I personally have found, with heavier grinds, that I tended to keep the gap of the flat of the blade and my face about the same as with hollower grinds (if you're with me). If your blade is that much thicker, the angle is then that much larger (probably only a few degrees but probably just enough to throw you off course). Focussing on keeping it flatter to the face I've found my results have improved! I'm definitely giving you a newbie's insight into this, mind, as I've only been wet shaving again (had some years away from it) since the end of November, but that's almost solely been with straights (up until my QShave Futur arrived, really) so I'd say I have between about 40 and 50 straight shaves under my belt. Making sure you spend the time giving them a good stropping really helps. There are certainly some area's I can't get buttery smooth, but as long as I look clean I'm happy enough. I'd say 90% of where I shave is clean-shaven, however.

I'm sure you will - I'm loving the whole learning aspect of it. I'm too curious for my own good so have taken up hobbies which reflect this. After some low points recently I said to myself that I'd pick myself up, dust myself off and make myself look as presentable/professional as possible! If that means keeping my beard in check, then I want to do it in the funnest/most involved way possible! :D I think once I'd hit the 20-shave mark I started learning where I could get away with sloppier technique and how different razors perform differently. It's just the initial hurdle of holding some unsheathed, sharp metal to your face. I guess fortunately I dived straight into the deep end, so I didn't have any reference point using a DE or similar. Therefore, using a straight now feels more natural to me than using a DE. I can find the angle a bit easier with the straight than DE etc.!

You will get there. I have faith in you! :D
Interesting, I will focus on that next time for sure. Firstly though, working on the technique is the most important. Getting proficient, become more confident etc. The irritation has massively subsided now which is good, I'm out tonight and wasn't looking forward to having a red neck, so that's a result :D

Very interesting reading about your journey, thanks for taking the time out :) I'm glad you have faith in me, I sometimes question this lunacy every now and then, when SE shaving is so much more intuitive and just gives the results. We are a mad bunch :D Amazing how a hobby like this can pick you up though and give you a boost!

9pygpw.jpg

Brush: Semogue 830
Razor: Gibbs No17 w/ Polsilver SI (3)
Soap: Le Pere Lucien Italian Barbershop
Post: Thayers Rose, Aloe Vera Gel & Floid Mentolado Vigoroso

A last minute change of razor today, I was going to use the Variant but my lips was feeling sore so I wanted to use my Gibbs to compare, for me the comfort factor of the actual shave is night and day and as such it is the final nail in the Variant coffin. No nicks, cuts, soreness anywhere except for soreness from the prior days shaves.

Italian Barbershop is a lovely scent, somewhat citrussy with a hint of spice and very nice! Finished off with my favourite post shave routine of Thayers and Aloe. Waste of time putting the Floid on as the dog leaped in my arms and promptly licked it off! Should change to eau de Lilly!

9pygpw.jpg

Brush: Semogue 830
Razor: Gibbs No17 w/ Polsilver SI (3)
Soap: Le Pere Lucien Italian Barbershop
Post: Thayers Rose, Aloe Vera Gel & Floid Mentolado Vigoroso

A last minute change of razor today, I was going to use the Variant but my lips was feeling sore so I wanted to use my Gibbs to compare, for me the comfort factor of the actual shave is night and day and as such it is the final nail in the Variant coffin. No nicks, cuts, soreness anywhere except for soreness from the prior days shaves.

Italian Barbershop is a lovely scent, somewhat citrussy with a hint of spice and very nice! Finished off with my favourite post shave routine of Thayers and Aloe. Waste of time putting the Floid on as the dog leaped in my arms and promptly licked it off! Should change to eau de Lilly!
I used my Gibbs a couple of days ago.....no other adjustable razor can compete imo, so smooth and never do I get the feeling it would bite.
I'm afraid you have been spoilt by the Gibbs, there is no point in looking at any other adjustable DE razor. :)

I used my Gibbs a couple of days ago.....no other adjustable razor can compete imo, so smooth and never do I get the feeling it would bite.
I'm afraid you have been spoilt by the Gibbs, there is no point in looking at any other adjustable DE razor. :)
I very much agree. It really is a different beast, though my Super Adjustable is only a few steps below. That is a very comfortable shaver, I have found that in the Progress and Variant the comfort isn't there for me. The Gibbs I could trust to shave me whilst blindfolded.

If it wasn't for silly postage prices I would have a few more Gibbs in my collection. Have you to thank for putting me on to them! O Great Enabler!

Seems to be nobody's favorite but the Clog-Pruf delivered a really beautiful head shave and the Blue Star equipped CP only failed at the very end when it came to ATG on my chin which I cleaned up with the Injecto-matic. Love these blades. Hate these blades.
60c11f8e5880491523082325de7f577a.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Greetings

Friday 5th May 2017
Prep: Shower
Razor: Unamed French
Blade: Henckles Rapide
Brush: RazoRock Plisson
Soap: DR Harris Marlborough Stick
Aftershave: Simple Moisteriser
EDP: Miller Harris Tuberosa

Regards
Dick.

View attachment 25075

How many flavours of Miller Harris have you got Dick? Use to have the Tobacco Leaf based one several years ago that was very nice.

Back
Top Bottom