Astra SP #3
Soap: T&H 1805
Brush: Maseto 30mm 2 band
Post Shave: Aloe Vera 100%
Balm: BBA
Scent: Izzey Miyake
View attachment 26348

Love is in the air, every time I look around. :rolleyes:

This razor is off to new pastures on Monday.
It has been a pleasure to use and due to this pass around from next door, I am going to buy one from over the pond.
It is so far in the DE world the best razor I have come across. YMMV.
Smoothness personified. Outstanding performance that leaves no burns.

Take care all and happy shaving!
Wayne. :)

Excellent picture mate. I've been seeing a lot of mentions of Maseto brushes recently. They look beautiful. What's the story with them? Where do you get them? Are they just 2-band or can you specify the knot? I.

Evening Iain,
I have been using the 30mm 2 band from a pass around and ordered my own that as it happens arrived today. I have also ordered the 26 mm silver tip with the barber handle. The 2 band is super soft with no scritching. It holds tonnes of soap in superfast time creating a superb lather. He has also recently release new colours including green, yellow and blue. I know I have probably not answered your question but For the money IMHO you can't go wrong.
Take care,
Wayne

Last edited:
Saturday 24th June 2017
sotd 24th june.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: OneBlade Core
Blade: Feather FHS-10 (#1)
Brush: Maseto Fan Shape 2 band finest 30mm
Soap: Tabac
Post: Alum Block, Cold water and Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel
AS: Tabac AS Lotion + Nivea Soothing Balm

My new Maseto brush arrived this morning so I gave it a quick shampoo straight away and left it to dry until I was ready to shave. After washing the brush it bloomed nicely. This is the biggest knot brush I now own, I have a 24mm Maseto 2 band finest which works well, but this thing is a monster. I decided to use Tabac for my shave today, the Maseto brush made short work of creating enough lather to shave about 5 times! This brush is absolutely fantastic after just one use, but then any brush can lather Tabac. Face feel is great and I think this is the best face lathering brush I have used.

@Len on ATG has summed the Core up pretty well in his review on ATG, plus he has the Genesis to compare with. see here http://www.atgshaving.com/threads/oneblade-core-impressions-with-genesis-comparisons.6536/

Maiden shave with the OneBlade Core.

The Good

The razor feels very good quality for what is basically a plastic razor with a lump of metal inserted into it. I found the razor very easy to use. it feels more akin to shaving with a cartridge razor but with the blade feel of a SE/DE razor. This is a very mild razor and it feels like you would need try very hard to cut yourself with it while shaving. While the final result was a very smooth and a pretty quick shave, it was not as close as I can get with other razors, but it was very consistent. I can see this being a great razor for when you want a shave but you are in a hurry or maybe not feeling 100% it really is very easy to use.

The Bad

The handle of the razor is very robust but the same cannot be said of the head assembly of this razor it feels pretty flimsy. Inserting and removing the blades can be a bit fiddly but once you work it out it is ok, but there seems to be scope for wearing the blade slot and blades stops out. It is also possible to pop the head out of position if too much pressure is applied, I know as I stupidly did this, while I know it was my own fault it was pretty easy to do it. If this happens the spring is revealed and it does not easily go back into position. Luckily I was able to get it back in position, it took two attempts and only worked properly when I took the spring out and reversed it as one end of the spring must have got stretched. Hopefully other Core owners will not be as hamfisted as I am!

The verdict (well sort of)

Well I am not going to make my mind up fully until I have shaved some more with the Core. That said other razors I have gave me a superb shave from the first shave, such as:

PAL Injecto-matic with Chinese Schick Blade
Schick Adjustable with a twin blade
Rockwell 6C
Ever Ready 1924 with Gem Stainless coated blade

The Core did not have that first shave wow factor, but that does not mean it ain't a good razor. As I said it seems very easy to use.

Last edited:
Thanks man - checked it out. Two band or three - what do you think? I'm undecided. I'm may well buy one tonight - but which one? Anybody else want to chip in? I.
My advice to you is "Never get out of th boat".

In all seriousness, I haven't got one but trawling through that thread I'd go for the 2 band just because I face lather and the silvertip loft seems a bit high for me. But like I said I haven't got one so my opinion is purely conjecture really.

My advice to you is "Never get out of th boat".

In all seriousness, I haven't got one but trawling through that thread I'd go for the 2 band just because I face lather and the silvertip loft seems a bit high for me. But like I said I haven't got one so my opinion is purely conjecture really.
I done quite alot of research on this brush and I do believe the common consensus was the 2 band. Great for face and bowl lathering with plenty of backbone while still remaining super soft. I have yet to try the silvertip.
Atb
Wayne

Thanks man - checked it out. Two band or three - what do you think? I'm undecided. I'm may well buy one tonight - but which one? Anybody else want to chip in? I.
I have two Maseto brushes both 2 Band Finest, a 24mm and 30mm Fan. (Spinal Tap moment coming again) the 24mm is a 10 but the 30mm goes to 11! Really impressed with both of these brushes I can recommend either and I have only had the 30mm since this morning!

First time using Extro cream/soap. Loaded very well. I think it's basically the same formula as the more expensive Razorock soaps. No complaints, nice and expensive feeling glass jar and the splash lasted a good 6 hours or more.
3481b9b17fd5da852c0997870403e9ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I done quite alot of research on this brush and I do believe the common consensus was the 2 band. Great for face and bowl lathering with plenty of backbone while still remaining super soft. I have yet to try the silvertip.
Atb
Wayne

@Bizzyberry @Wayne Pritchard @Mr. Blonde @Blackmass

Thank you all for your advice about the Maseto brush - I'm in the process of picking up a 30 mm Silver-tip offered to me by a member here. If they are that good I'll get a 2-band too. Thanks again. cheers - I.

Greetings Mike

I take it those blades are designed for creating those fancy sculptured haircut styles but I thought the only shavettes for that job took the artists club length blades or the Personna hair shaper blades... further my education if you would please.

Regards
Dick.
Hi Dick,
The Schick Proline Type B -AC blade, is only 38mm long, same length as the traditional Schick blade. I originally brought them to use in the Supply Single Edge, as I really rated the longerType P [50mm]when used in the General/Hawk And Claymore.

I thought why not try them in a Vintage Injector. As they come in a dispenser with no key, they have to be transferred into a traditional dispenser, which is quite easy. I have used them in the Single Edge, with great results.

Also have used them in a PAL Injecto-Matic and a Schick J3 [Golden 500], the Shave in each of those was very smooth, but also the finished Shave Quality was good too. I can send you 2 or 3 to trial, if you PM me. Remember you got me on the Injector Trail.
Regards-Mike

IMG_1348.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom