S.O.T.D. Saturday 24th January to Friday 30th January 2015

Prep Hot Towel
Pre and Post Myrsol Emulsion
Soap Razorock XXX
Razor Henckels DE
Blade Polsilver Iridium (off Celar36)
Brush RV Polo Silvertip
And a bit of Zirh balm afterwards

The Henckels is actually a nice heavyweight DE and absolutely sliced through 3 days of stubble like nothing. I did the bad thing of trying a razor id never used with a blade I'd never tried and will mix and match later but this was great. Not a chance of bounce with this setup it was a really thorough shave - I'll probably not have enough to shave off tomorrow :-(

Ratty

[attachment=12918]

Attachments

• IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    469 KB · Views: 13
Shave for 30 January 2015

16403494215_87ce113497_c.jpg

Nico1970 said:
I must say, I would align the blade with the (top) cap as, given the bar is what goes against the face, it is this offset which gives the 'slicing' action...

I disagree. The safety bar is there for safety; to stop an angle too steep that would scrape the blade across your face and so it lifts the blade away from your face as you move the handle end closer (more parallel) with your face.
I believe when shaving properly the safety bar should not be touching your face otherwise it would remove the lather before the blade gets to work.
It's the cap that is resting against the skin and it too serves a safety feature of not allowing an angle too shallow that could be too aggressive. So the cap too would lift the blade away from your face if the handle end is moved further away from your face.

The designs seems right IMO as there is a slant of blade alongside the cap. Anyways, the blade only fits one way into the razor.
It does look "wrong" though I have to admit.

I think I have the above right.

Soap: Boellis Panama
Brush: M&F Chief, 26mm "Heritage" 2-band
Razor: Ikon DLC Slant w/SE handle
Blade: Astra Keramik Platinum (2)
Post: Thayer's Original witch hazel, followed by Boellis balm
The Boellis soap makes a fine lather! I think it's a toss-up for top spot between this and the Antica Barbieria Colla (ABC) cream.

fancontroller said:
Nico1970 said:
I must say, I would align the blade with the (top) cap as, given the bar is what goes against the face, it is this offset which gives the 'slicing' action...

I disagree. The safety bar is there for safety; to stop an angle too steep that would scrape the blade across your face and so it lifts the blade away from your face as you move the handle end closer (more parallel) with your face.
I believe when shaving properly the safety bar should not be touching your face otherwise it would remove the lather before the blade gets to work.
It's the cap that is resting against the skin and it too serves a safety feature of not allowing an angle too shallow that could be too aggressive. So the cap too would lift the blade away from your face if the handle end is moved further away from your face.

The designs seems right IMO as there is a slant of blade alongside the cap. Anyways, the blade only fits one way into the razor.
It does look "wrong" though I have to admit.

I think I have the above right.

Thanks Mike, that is interesting. Clearly, if the blade only goes in the one way (held in place with dimples), then that is the way Ikon has designed it even if it looks 'wrong', [noting, of course, that pictures can be deceiving when taken at an angle].

Looking at the photograph in Mr_Smartepants post above, the blade looks parallel to the cap which is what I have been used to previously.

Must be to do with the different designs of slants...?

Anyway, the ATT slants look fantastic - enjoy them! I have a Kronos M1 but the new slant is on my (ever-increasing) wish list...

Mongoose & Kai Pink
Thäter 4125/1 2-band
Wickham English Rose
No7 Replenishing Balm
Serge Lutens Chergui

Note to self: I need to load a bit more soap - 30s rather than 20s, perhaps. Martin de Candre rather spoils you!

Nico1970 said:
Looking at the photograph in Mr_Smartepants post above, the blade looks parallel to the cap which is what I have been used to previously.
The Ikon design is different from the ATT slant. With the Ikon design, when no blade is installed the edge of the top cap is parallel with the edge of the safety bar (at least it appears so to me). Some blades align themselves in my razor, some need 'help'.

Hot water face splash
Exfoliating face wash with Dr. Squatch Pine Tar Soap
La Toja Classic Shaving Creme
L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic Shaving Brush
ATT Kronos M1
Wizamet Polsilver Iridium
Cold water face splash
Quorum Aftershave

[attachment=12932]

Prep: Dove face scrub
Shaving soap: Crabtree & Evelyn sandal wood
Brush: Omega 90065 syntex bristle
Blade: Shark superchrome
Razor: Edwin Jagger Chatsworth barley chrome

The lather was slightly more foamy than usual, but the shave was very smooth.

Attachments

• 30Jan15#2.jpg
    30Jan15#2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom