S.o.t.D Saturday 21 June - Friday 27 June

Summer Solstice Shave

IMG_6345.JPG

Bulldog Face Wash
Wickham Master Lather Mentholated (Grated)
Kent Silvertex Infinity
Gillette Twinjector - Twin Blade [2]
Hot Rinse & Cold Rinse
Hai Karate Original Aftershave

Bowl Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & XTG

Another close and smooth shave from this Twinjector rig.

Hai Karate is a retro-scent which I happened to pick up today for a couple of quid (I think). It's very much in the same vein as Pinaud Clubman, perhaps more lemon on the nose at first and most definitely more cooling. I like it!

As for fighting girls off ... well, it's not the aftershave ...

Prep: Hot Water
Soap: Czech & Speake No.88
Brush: Simpson Chubby Ebony in Manchurian
Razor: Thiers Issard Eagle 6/8
Moustache Razor : The Mab Dwarf Razor
AS: Czech & Speake No.88

image.php

image.php

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: New forest in an old barbers handle
Razor: Max Sprecher and my GEM for the head
Soap: Jabonman Mountain
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

I find myself only reach for either Jabonmans or Nannys soaps the latest year (sometimes MdC) and Maxs razor are excellent stuff too! Now, some coffee ...

Razor Fon Golden Star full hollow 6/8
Strop Kanayama Cordovan #8000
Brush Le Tuft Chubby 1.5 in Lignum Vitae
Soap Mitchell's Wool Fat
Witch Hazel
TFS Bergamot & Neroli Balm
Kiehl's Musk original blend No1​

Cold water rinse
Proraso Sensitive pre shave cream
Proraso Sensitive soap
Semogue 620
Ever ready 1912
Gem stainless (2)
Nivea sensitive post Shave Balm

Did not get Lather right today filled brush with right amount of soap but added too much water, knew I should have face lathered instead of using a bowl.

Off to work have a good Sunday

Paul

Pre- Tepid water splash
Soap- Cella
Brush- Men-U
Razor- Valet VC4
Blade- Feather ss [5]
Post- Spieck AS

Simple 2x WFG shave = lovely close shave. I think the Valets' are great now I am on the hunt for VC1 & VC3!

Hot towel
Proraso white pre shave
Omega pro 48
Proraso white soap
Edwin jagger de89
Voskhod
Skin bracer
212 edt

This blade is definitely not one of the sharpest I've used but it got to be one of the smoothest. Lovely dfs. Enjoy your Sunday fellas.
Steve

Gillette #58, Sputnik
Hand-carved Ash 27mm Boar
Ingram
Blue Stratos AS
Unrefined Shea Butter
Yardley Citrus & Wood EdT

Decent.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Maid Rite amber badger #64
1958 Executive/Wilkinson Light Brigade (NOS)
Xpec unscented mixed with TGQ Leatherneck extrait
LaToja Balsamo AS
The Gentlemens Quarter 'Leatherneck' extrait

For some reason I played around with the adjuster, just to see if my tastes had changed. Even went up to #9 on occasion, which didn't feel bad. Matter of fact, all the higher than usual settings felt ok and not all that aggressive.

Got done and thought something was up. My face and neck didn't have that usual wonderful after shaving feel, almost like it was some irritation. That's what it was.

I must have used too much pressure and paid less attention than I needed to on those settings, and left my neck with a bunch of tiny red spots. Hah, I even scraped my jaw a little bit, which never happens. Sheeesh, I guess those settings do work.

Tried adding this old frag to the unscented Xpec but still needs more juice. I have to watch for the cream getting messed up by adding too much. It's what I bought this cream for, so I might as well start using it. Great performance though.....whew.

BBS results,

Martin

Sunday, June 22nd, 2014

Sunday, June 22nd, 2014

170486d1403443747-sun-june-22nd-sat-june-28th-sotd-22062014.jpg

Mastro Livi, 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point

This was my third Mastro Livi straight razor and it always proves to be a magnificent shaver. In about one year since the day I bought it, I have never honed it and it still has a very sharp and super keen edge. Superb straight razor!​

• Pre-shave: Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Omega Badger Brush 63167
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
  • Razor: Mastro Livi, 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Myrsol Agua de Limón After Shave

Here is today's shave ...

I went rather "old school" today on the blade and tried a Personna Precision from the 1950s. It is a carbon blade and was in great shape visually with no rust. After a spray and 30 seconds with Scrubbing Bubbles I decided to use the blade without stropping. It was a close shave but not the smoothest. 2 pass face BBS and 1 pass DFS on the head. Not the best shave but not the worst either. I definitely needed Witch Hazel and Balm afterward to soothe the skin. Since I will be moving on to another razor combination tomorrow and this is a carbon blade I decided to get rid of this blade since it will quickly rust. I may try this combination (with a blade from the same pack) with a pre-shave stropping to see if it becomes smoother.

14289750619_df4b6e82c8_c.jpg

Here is an ad from the early 1950s for this blade.

14476387695_10d134c105_c.jpg

P.S. No I am not asking for a refund since I only got one shave out of it... ;)

Back
Top Bottom