Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Personna 74 Tungsten Plus (2)
Brush: Elite Razor Tres Amigos Desert Ironwood Beehive w/Envy White
Soap: Route High Mountain Mist
Aftershave: Folsom & Co. Capri
Bowl: Symmetrical Blue & Lt. Purple Dottie Bowl

The Master!
View attachment 24450
Those Personna 74 blades seem to be quite something, apart from lasting what seems ages between changes are they sharper than modern blades? I have never been lucky enough to try one. Great picture by the way :)

c29116eb84cd8a51a0ad22d2c370ef9e.jpg

-Dovo Bismarck 6/8
-Epsilon's Poor Man's Chubby
-Arko
-Stirling Orange Chill

Have a great new week.

S.O.T.D Sunday.

Razor - Ikon X3 on the Braveheart S/S handle.
Blade - Lada (1)
Brush - Stirling Soap Co. Butterscotch fan.
Soap - RazoRock Puro tallow.
Post - Allum and witch hazel.
A/S - Extro tabacco.
Balm - Real Shaving Co. moisturiser.

Result - Great, everything a Sunday shave should be. Relaxed and relaxing. Hadn't picked up the X3 in a while and had forgotten just how efficient and fuss-free it is in use. I have never understood the asymmetrical head design - I can't tell any difference between the two sides. If you ever wondered how good a brush can be at the price of the Stirling - wonder no more and get one - assuming the design fits your shaving style. If it had Simpson's written on it - it would be three times as expensive. The soap is a relatively new purchase - it works well for me. Easy to later, slick and nice strong scent. I've noticed it can leave my skin a wee bit tight feeling but - heh - that's what moisturiser is for. More products - yes! Finally - the Extro tobacco is excellent. Remarkably complex and persistent scent at the price point. Almost oily as it goes on. I think it's technically an E.D.T. Tempted to try more of their products.
Hope you all have a good week - I.

S.O.T.D Sunday.

Razor - Ikon X3 on the Braveheart S/S handle.
Blade - Lada (1)
Brush - Stirling Soap Co. Butterscotch fan.
Soap - RazoRock Puro tallow.
Post - Allum and witch hazel.
A/S - Extro tabacco.
Balm - Real Shaving Co. moisturiser.

Result - Great, everything a Sunday shave should be. Relaxed and relaxing. Hadn't picked up the X3 in a while and had forgotten just how efficient and fuss-free it is in use. I have never understood the asymmetrical head design - I can't tell any difference between the two sides. If you ever wondered how good a brush can be at the price of the Stirling - wonder no more and get one - assuming the design fits your shaving style. If it had Simpson's written on it - it would be three times as expensive. The soap is a relatively new purchase - it works well for me. Easy to later, slick and nice strong scent. I've noticed it can leave my skin a wee bit tight feeling but - heh - that's what moisturiser is for. More products - yes! Finally - the Extro tobacco is excellent. Remarkably complex and persistent scent at the price point. Almost oily as it goes on. I think it's technically an E.D.T. Tempted to try more of their products.
Hope you all have a good week - I.
I'm liking the sound of the Extro Tabacco, how would you discribe the scent? Is it the tabacco flower scent or dried tabacco leaves or is it too complex to be able to discribe?

I'm liking the sound of the Extro Tabacco, how would you discribe the scent? Is it the tabacco flower scent or dried tabacco leaves or is it too complex to be able to discribe?

Blademonkey - Helpfully the manufacturer has put the scent profile on the bottle - albeit in Italian, which I can't speak but it's mostly obvious. Here you go -

Top - Bergamotto
Middle - Gelsomino, Cuoiu, Tabacco, Ciclamano Ylang Ylang
Base - Musk, Sandalo, Cuoiu, Tabacco, Amrata, Zuc chero a Velo, Incenso, Mossy, Salvia Sclarea & Vaniglia.

The tobacco note is more floral to me - more towards the Alt Innsbruck end of the spectrum but with a much warmer musky base. It's called both EDT and AS on the label confusingly. I notice also that it includes some menthol but to be honest I wouldn't have realised that if I hadn't looked at the label. It's not cold.

Hope that helps - cheers - I.

Blademonkey - Helpfully the manufacturer has put the scent profile on the bottle - albeit in Italian, which I can't speak but it's mostly obvious. Here you go -

Top - Bergamotto
Middle - Gelsomino, Cuoiu, Tabacco, Ciclamano Ylang Ylang
Base - Musk, Sandalo, Cuoiu, Tabacco, Amrata, Zuc chero a Velo, Incenso, Mossy, Salvia Sclarea & Vaniglia.

The tobacco note is more floral to me - more towards the Alt Innsbruck end of the spectrum but with a much warmer musky base. It's called both EDT and AS on the label confusingly. I notice also that it includes some menthol but to be honest I wouldn't have realised that if I hadn't looked at the label. It's not cold.

Hope that helps - cheers - I.
Thankyou, that's great. I feel a purchase coming on! :)

Thanks very much. I don't know if they are sharper, but the Tungsten seems to hold an edge forever.

Semperfi - on a related note I was given an unopened 100 blade - 20 tucks of 5 - retail pack by my neighbour - a retired shop keeper. They are Personna Star Platinum - Made In Gt. Britain. I could find very little reference online to them other than they date to when Personna was owned by Philip Morris - if I remember correctly - which makes them early sixties. They are superb blades - a great balance of attributes and they last a long time - significantly longer than modern blades. They work well in any razor I've tried them in but I particularly like using them in my early Aristocrat Slim. Seems sort of fitting. If anybody has any more information on these blades I'd really like to know. Cheers - I.

@semperfi45 - I see you are shaving with my favourite vintage blade. Hard to find, but worth the effort. By the looks of the environment, no need for menthol with this shave.
I am sure you are aware of the difference between the different Personna Tungsten blade so I'll post this for those who may be interested.
PersonnaTungstenBlades.jpg

The Tungsten blades on the left are the most sot after blades. Many people get as many as 30 shaves from just one blade. These are very hard to find and expensive when you do find them.
The blades on the right are also very good blades. In my opinion the won't last as long as the pure Tungsten blades. I believe they will last longer than the usual blades one would purchase.
These are also difficult to find, and expensive when you do find them, however, not as expensive are the pure Tungsten blade. IMO

Semperfi - on a related note I was given an unopened 100 blade - 20 tucks of 5 - retail pack by my neighbour - a retired shop keeper. They are Personna Star Platinum - Made In Gt. Britain. I could find very little reference online to them other than they date to when Personna was owned by Philip Morris - if I remember correctly - which makes them early sixties. They are superb blades - a great balance of attributes and they last a long time - significantly longer than modern blades. They work well in any razor I've tried them in but I particularly like using them in my early Aristocrat Slim. Seems sort of fitting. If anybody has any more information on these blades I'd really like to know. Cheers - I.
Thank you very much, that is quality information. I don't believe I've seen the Personna Star Platinum blades. I'll have a look to see if I can find out more. Thank you again.

DSC_0520_zpsoffvsecm.jpg

Two Pass Shaving Routine..:cool:

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
Taylor Witness 1000 Sheffield Full Hollow 7/8th
Mason & Pearson Pure Badger
Phoenix & Beau Tallow Soap
Logona Mann Balm

I Had a Late Evening Shave with My Taylor Sheffield 7/8th..My Black Arkansas Surgical Stone has Put a Superbly Keen & Comfortable Edge on this Razor..I Had a Very Close Smooth & Comfortable Shave this Evening..:)

I am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom