S.O.T.D. Saturday 10th January to Friday 16th January 2015

dodgy said:
rowlers said:
Schick L1
Personna [4]

Still enjoying the L1, gonna run with it until the blades dies. Am I right in thinking the L1 is fairly aggressive? It certainly seems that way and whilst it is very easy to use if can bite easily and always leaves me with a couple of weepers.

Hmmm, that don't sound right. The L type is milder than the older E and G versions. Problems with the shave might be something easily fixed though.

So I would say first of all to dump the blade and try another. Easy to run the blade edge over something hard which can dull it so watch when it's being loaded.

You will be getting some new blades next week and maybe they will be a better fit. Also, make sure the safety bar lines up with the blade evenly.

See if maybe any of this might help,

Martin

Greetings

I agree with Martin 100% here, the Schick L models should be an easy and gentle shave even with the fiercest of blades, clearly something is not right.

As Martin said it is simplicity itself to 'bugger up' an injector blade by dragging it across the nearest blade stop when loading (injecting it) dragging is perhaps too extreme a word as a gentle kiss with the edge along the blade stop will ruin it. This is one little quirk with injectors that you have to be careful about.

I'm not saying that this has to be the problem but I think it is the most likely explanation.

Regards
Dick

S.O.T.D. Saturday 10th January

10 January 2015 Shave

The Taconic soap has been a welcome addition to my shaving den. The three soaps that I bought look like "melt and pour" but they are hazy and not fully clear as most melt and pour soaps are. The ingredients listing includes hemp seed oil and Bentonite clay. The clay would account for the hazy look but the soap. The soap provided a thick, slick lather that lasted for two full face passes and had plenty left over for another full head and face pass. A nice two pass BBS shave was easily obtained. Each of the soaps had a nice scent as well, with the Eucalyptus Mint being a surprise standout. This new soap is a keeper in my rotation.

16059184208_299a19f9b0_c.jpg

Extra information on soaps here.
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=30434&pid=418116#pid418116

dodgy said:
rowlers said:
Schick L1
Personna [4]

Still enjoying the L1, gonna run with it until the blades dies. Am I right in thinking the L1 is fairly aggressive? It certainly seems that way and whilst it is very easy to use if can bite easily and always leaves me with a couple of weepers.

Hmmm, that don't sound right. The L type is milder than the older E and G versions. Problems with the shave might be something easily fixed though.

So I would say first of all to dump the blade and try another. Easy to run the blade edge over something hard which can dull it so watch when it's being loaded.

You will be getting some new blades next week and maybe they will be a better fit. Also, make sure the safety bar lines up with the blade evenly.

Martin

Thanks Martin,
I'll certain look into that..
I'm still enjoying the razor so all is well, I just need to get irritation doe a little ;)

Nico1970 said:
dodgy said:
rowlers said:
Schick L1
Personna [4]

Martin

Also.. just because the Schick handle is plastic and feels like a pseudo-cartridge razor, don't fall into the trap of thinking that you have to put pressure on the razor head to make it work. It's an SE and should always be treated with respect.
You know what - I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I'm thinking that it's easy, I may well be using too much pressure. Good spot!

Martin de Candre
Muhle V2
Mongoose w/Kronos handle
Kai titan mild [3]
Alum, Thayers witch hazel
Tom Ford Noir EdC

BBS shave with the above superb combo, right off for a night on the tiles :icon_wink:

Saturday

Evening, everyone.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave cream: Gillette red tube
Aftershave: Brut
Cologne: Brut

Saturday morning shave:
Wickhams bay rum
Omega boar
Weber PH + Polsilver SI
Proraso White ASB

I love the Weber, seems a smoother more efficient shave than my old DE89

Sunday 11th January

Neutrogena Glyc Bar.
Vulfix Mixed.
Bea Menthol Cream.
ER 1914.
Gem Coated [ 6 ]
Alum Rub/Rinse off.
Bea A/S Balm.
Floid Vigoroso A/S.

Made 6, and still a good shave with this Combo.
SAGA continues- Cheers Richard-- Going to try Clogpruf then OC,as have already
tried Flying Wing.

Greetings

Sunday 11th January 2015
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM OCMM
Blade: GEM Blue Star Carbon
Brush: Semogue 620 Boar
Soap: Vitos Extra Super (Red)
Aftershave: Floid Balm

Regards
Dick.

DSC05831.JPG

Brush: Chubby 2 Silvertip

Blade: Feather Super Pro (6)

Razor: Cobra Classic

Cream/Soap: Wickhams Master Lather Violet

Aftershave: Myrsol Formula "C"

Balm: Titan DE (Thanks Gart)

Nice relaxed shave this morning. Lather was as usual exceptional with the Wickhams though that brush requires a LOT! Wickhams whips up easily, is slick, smells good and lasts a long time for slow shaving.

Face lathered and plenty for 2 passes and touch ups (all that is required with the Cobra/Blade combo)

The soap compliments the Parma Violet Frag of the Myrsol very well indeed.

Another good combo discovered, and another soap purchase I do REALLY not need :)

Have a good day.

Sunday 11 January 2015

Sunday 11 January 2015

190088d1420977342-sun-january-10th-sat-january-16th-sotd-11012015.jpg

Nostalgia Times and Shaving

It seems the memories of old times are coming back to my mind - so far away now - when I was just a boy trying to become a man through the adult rite of shaving. At those times I was using what I had available at home, and this means my father's shaving products, including his razor - a Gillette Flare Tip Rocket II, which is now one of the very few DE razors in my collection - as well as his soap and after shave. I guess his favorite soap is no longer in production and I cannot exactly remember its name - it certainly was Italian and had a lovely strong almond fragrance - however I still keep his brushes, including a gorgeous Omega 47 and the memory of his favorite aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue. It took me sometimes to discover Floid - it was once the dominant fragrance you could smell when you entered any Italian barber shop about 40 years ago - which then became my favorite aftershave. Yesterday, while I was shopping in a mall, I noticed Aqua Velva and I was surprised to see nothing of the bottle of those times survived today: different shape, different closure and logo. I could not however help buying a bottle and this is the aftershave I used today. It was not so bad, the fragrance seems to be quite the same as well as the performance, bringing back the memory of those old times.​

• Pre-Shave: Proraso Green Pre-Shave Cream
  • Soap: Aquagena Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Bristle Brush 49
  • Bowl: Chinese Cheap Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Perugia 13.12.14, 15/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block and Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue Aftershave

Sunday

Afternoon, gents.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89