S.O.T.D. Sat. 8th February 2014 to Fri. 14th February 2014

Fatboy 6,4,2
Polsilver stainless (4)
Cheap Wilkinson's boar brush
TOBS Coconut
Speick a/s lotion
Aloe vera moisturiser

Very good shave. TOBS performed well with this brush. I face lathered and had enough for 4 passes. Last outing for the Fatboy. It's proved itself to be a top razor and I've enjoyed every shave with it. :)

Friday 14-02-14. MUSIC: The Byrds - Greatest Hits (1967).

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ij6_SD9S74[/video]

ef01ebc0-31cc-4174-a378-86952c9c662c_zpse9d89c94.jpg

Aleppo soap - Restored brush The Golden Nib silvertip Grade A - Feather all stainless - Polsilver #2 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Mystic Water Sandalwood & Rose - Alum block - Thayers Original Astringent - ASB Institut de Karité - ASL Terre D'Hermès EDT.

A glorious shave with greats scents, for a moment I have felt like La Castafiore. :icon_smile:

castafiore.jpg

Cold water splash
Truefitt & Hill 1805 cream
Simpson Commodore X3
Weber Polished / Bulldog
Super Iridium (1)
Myrsol Emulsion as post-shave
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 EdT

Very satisfying shave. Ready for a Valentine's evening full of passion :D

St Valentine's Day - Evening

Started early with some Jack Daniels.
Music Carlos Santana.

SOTD%252020140214%2520Rolled.jpg

Hot Towel
T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
Fox's Super Smooth Southsea Spray
Pure Badger 23mm
Ever Ready 1912 (potentially, a Radio handle)
GEM Stainless Coated [1]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Shibden Spice
C&S Cuba

Bowl Lathered
Two Pass - With & Cross the Grain

First, the soap. Once again, a pleasure to lather up, initially quite foamy which would give a thin covering with poor protection but nobody stops after 15 seconds of building a lather. What happens next is sublime and something I discovered with his Bay Rum soap. You keep building and building and building ... don't add water. It will thicken, it will build and then something which cooks look out for when whisking cream - resistance on the brush. Suddenly it really thickens! Now add a drop of water to loosen it up and it will stay just like that for three passes, or more.

I live in a soft water area and use a porcelain bowl, warmed up with the brush soaking in it which I prepare with my pre-shave ritual.

The scent is curious and I couldn't figure it out, but think there might be some neroli in there. It's fresh and certainly evoked that nasal scent of sea foam. Again, subtle; certainly not intrusive, but gently reminds that its there as you shave. Very well pitched.

Next, reflecting on my first shave with my new razor, in a word: £2 well spent!

The handle is much lighter than other 1912s that I have in my collection and it made for a very nimble shave. I found, contrary in behaviour to my heavier handles for double edge razors, that it was an instinctually light shave, barely touching. One pass with a fresh blade was perfectly acceptable. I know my face and there are a couple of areas that I make a diagonal stroke over, so that one pass works out well. Two passes made it perfect.

Homemade Bay Rum aftershave and then a good helping of C&S Cuba - basically, all the things I love about Bay Rum with added tobacco. What's not to like? Erm ... "that" smell that explodes after a couple of minutes of application. After checking the litter tray, I find that I'm one of those people that can smell "that smell" in this, but after another couple of minutes, that's gone. Perversely, I rather liked the experience :D

GDCarrington said:
Simple shave on a day off due to illness (thanks to my coworkers for sharing an upper respiratory infection) ...

Gah! Get well soon!

I note my own temperature is up after sneezing through the day ... I don't tend to fall foul of office colds, so I reckon an early night and seasonal cuddle with the Mrs will set me right :D

Slow Shaving said:
Friday 14-02-14. MUSIC: The Byrds - Greatest Hits (1967).

Hi there,

If you're a Roger Mcguinn fan, here's a song you might not have heard. It's about him growing up in Chicago and playing in a famous club. Called Gate of Horn, and it hosted a lot of top early folk singers. He mentions a guy named Bob Gibson who was pretty famous locally. Shel Silverstein wrote 'Living Legend' for him as his signature song. Now that's a good piece of music.

Anywqy, the first two minutes are an Elvis song, but after that the Gate of Horn song starts. Maybe you'll find it amusing and kinda interesting. Heh, I admit to being a sucker for his twelve string.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE-oQ0TrHng

Martin

Friday

Evening, everybody.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 + Bulldog handle
Blade: Treet Dura Sharp (7)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave cream: Penhaligon's Endymion
Aftershave: Homemade Imperial Leather splash
Cologne: X-Bolt

An excellent end-of-week result: close and irritation-free.

Prep: Cold Water Splash
Razor: Red Tip Rocket
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Brush: Rod Neep African Stone 26x48 Extra Silvertip
Soap: VITOS Super Extra Coconut
Aftershave: Floid 'The Genuine'

Normally if i have 4-5 days growth i choose an OC or Slant. The Red Tip did a great job though, definitely my favourite Rocket.

Back
Top Bottom