S.O.T.D. Sat. 21st Dec. 2013 to Frid. 27th Dec. 2013

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

It is a Bullet Tip, Flying Wing is the name that GEM actually gave it, but for some reason it has been re-christened. I can see how it got the name bullet tip but why it was renamed I have no idea. Either way and with either name it is my favourite of the milder shaving GEM razors, but I know not everybody likes them.

Tony (Antdad) on this forum is less than keen and he is more a less a daily SE user like me and on The Original Safety Two forum which I am a member it receives very little love! We all have different tastes.

Regards
Dick.

Of all the razors I wish I liked more it was this one, it's beautifully engineered and that closing mechanism is a work of kinematic art. Don't know why exactly but it's just not as efficient or as tactile as others because for me the balance is off with that handle being so bottom heavy.

Saturday. Good evening, Gents.

DSC04088.JPG

Today's acquisition and I couldn't wait to shave with it.

Hot Towel
Tabac Shaving Soap
Pure Badger 23mm
GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf
ASR 009 RD
Hot Rinse
Cold Rinse
Alum Wash
Cold Rinse
Witch Hazel
Tabac Aftershave Lotion

Face Lathered
Three Pass - WTG, XTG & ATG

In all, a very nice shave. Close, clean and without issue. I also have a solid bar GEM Micromatic which is very smooth; this is much the same but you can feel the crenelations on the bar. I guess I'm working my way up to the open comb ...

Prep: Hot towel
Pre: Proraso preshave
Cream: TOBS Sandalwood
Brush: Edwin Jagger Pure Badger
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable #6
Blade: Super Max Blue Diamond
After: Nivea ASB

Jpshaver said:
What blade is that Paul?

It's an American Shaving Company blade. I gather this blade is rebranded again and again and again ... I think the GEM from Connaught is the same blade.

I couldn't feel the difference shaving.

fancontroller said:
Good grief, is that my Tabac lid?

Our man up in Scotland might well have pushed a couple out ...

It's a bloomin' nice lid. I wonder if he could turn us the same for our aftershaves.

pjgh said:
Norfolkdick said:
Dick - is this one of those "Magic Eye" variants? I've often wondered how they worked, or whether it was just a marketing thing.

Lovely looking razor, either way.

Greetings Paul

Yes that is the 'Magic Eye', what a load of old boll**ks, it is just a circle engraved on the top cover and is 100% marketing nonsense. The adverts say that if the magic circle or bullseye is touching your face the razor is at the correct angle. I prefer just a little less flat. The earlier models of the Flying wing did not have it on them.

Regards
Dick.

Cold water spalsh
Speick Stick (grated)
Golden Nib 2-band badger knot / Vulfix Grosvenor handle
Weber Polished / Bulldog
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black/Indian (2)
Speick ASB

Morning shave today. Great result due to my favourite soap and blade :)

Prep: Hot Water
Soap: How to Grow a Mustache Bay Rum
Brush: Vintage Simpson KH2
Razor: Muhle R89 Rosegold
Blade: Feather (2)
AS: Ogallala Bay Rum
EDT: Ogallala Bay Rum Cologne

image.php

Greetings

Sunday 22nd December 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Valet Autostrop